Engine squeaking

bcpnick

Nick
Reaction score
I had some interesting sounds coming from my engine over the weekend (Yamaha f200XA 3.3L v6). We launched at night and drove slow for a half hour or so before beaching. The next day we headed down lake and when I slowed down to an idle for the first time I noticed a squeaking noise in the engine. It sounded almost exactly like a loose belt on a car but very quiet. I only heard it when we were barely moving or in neutral. It didn't seem to change at all based on being in or out of gear or speeding up. Over the course of the next few days it got a little better, then a little worse and eventually went away. Does anyone have any thoughts on what this is or how concerned I should be since it appears to have stopped? I'm due for my first 100 hour service, which I was thinking of doing myself, but if this seems like a potential problem maybe it would be better to pay to get it done?

Thanks for the help. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine does this all the time, it is the bushing / bearing at the lower end of the engine case where the driveshaft drops down to the lower unit it goes dry and causes this annoying mouse squeek.

Need to drop the lower unit and grease up the bushing / bearing under the engine where the drive shaft runs through along with the shaft, I do it every other year when I replace the water pump impeller but it usually starts the on again off again mouse squeak about mid second season. Seems about every 50-70 hours or so is when mine usually starts. Since I know what it is it doesn't bother me anymore but it used to drive me up a wall when it first started not knowing if it was going to leave me sitting. It seems to last longer with synthetic grease than what Yamaha uses which is like a dry graphite lube looking substance.

Good to hear, thank you. I think I'll order up my 100 hour service parts and see if I can't take care of that at the same time. 

Mine does this all the time, it is the bushing / bearing at the lower end of the engine case where the driveshaft drops down to the lower unit it goes dry and causes this annoying mouse squeek.

Need to drop the lower unit and grease up the bushing / bearing under the engine where the drive shaft runs through along with the shaft, I do it every other year when I replace the water pump impeller but it usually starts the on again off again mouse squeak about mid second season. Seems about every 50-70 hours or so is when mine usually starts. Since I know what it is it doesn't bother me anymore but it used to drive me up a wall when it first started not knowing if it was going to leave me sitting. It seems to last longer with synthetic grease than what Yamaha uses which is like a dry graphite lube looking substance.
You change the impeller every other year?  How do they look (condition)?  Or is this more about the squeak and you replace the impeller since you're in there anyway?

I run in the Missouri river a lot of the season and it is a shallow fast moving river 2-5 feet deep average and average 3-5 mph current so there is a lot of sand in the water and it eats up the rubber impellers, I have tried going 3 seasons on an impeller and they will always get week during the 3rd season and I get the overheat alarm at that point. Have had it happen 2 times now since owning this engine since 07 on 2 boats. I just do it every other year to avoid issues now. Anyone who spends a lot of time on the Missouri knows this is routine procedure no matter the engine brand.

Its not a bad job, about an hour to do the swap and about 40 bucks +- for an impeller kit.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the first I've heard of someone going thru them so fast. Good to know.

Back