Engine suggestions in a hurry

OP:
We have a 22SSXAPG with a Yamaha 150 and SeaStar hydraulic steering. It is fine. Just had her out last weekend with two normal-sized adults, two large adults, one very large adult, and an average nine year old boy aboard. The boat easily pulled a Super Mabel with three on it to the point of it going airborne at one point. I have no doubt that steering would be easier with full power, but I had no trouble driving her all day.

When we ordered our 2018 ssbxp with sps and a 150hp I asked about power steering after much reading on this forum and my salesman said they have never sold a 150hp with power steering before so I didn’t get it. No regrets. I think if it was maybe a $500 option I would’ve regretted not getting it. For a 200hp and up I think it’d be much more important though.

Was just out today with friends for a 5 hour cruise on Willamette River through Portland checking out all the bridges and city view on an 80 degree gorgeous day. This 2017 22 SSRCX SPS Yamaha 150 Benny we just upgraded to already has the electrically assisted Seastar hydraulic steering and I absolutely love it. You can let go of wheel to grab munchies, etc while cruising and the wheel stays exactly where you left it. Even seems to hold course very well with minimal corrections like other boats seem to need. Then when you effortlessly crank wheel fast into a carved turn, it's time for a big smile as it is so easy. Can't wait to see how much fun it will be to pull someone on a toy and give them an "E" ticket ride. (us old DisneyLand visitors remember those)

Last edited:
When we ordered our 2018 ssbxp with sps and a 150hp I asked about power steering after much reading on this forum and my salesman said they have never sold a 150hp with power steering before so I didn’t get it. No regrets. I think if it was maybe a $500 option I would’ve regretted not getting it. For a 200hp and up I think it’d be much more important though.
Funny you mention that. My dealer had to call the factory to be sure they would even install it on a 21' SLXP with a 150. I visited the factory the day they were fitting out my new boat and the employees were rigging the power steering. Once they realized I was the buyer, they were giving me a good-natured hard time because they said it was the first one they had done. One asked me if I was a "hundred pound weakling!" It was great fun.

But, I wouldn't change that option for any reason, all teasing side.

You should be adding the power-assist steering even with the 175. Do a search here and it will convince you.

My opinion? Select a 200 and power-assist steering and never look back.
Nailed it!

Well, that explains why your salesperson is leaning on you to go with the 175 and no power steering... it's an in-stock boat. This person has their best interests in mind, not yours. I wouldn't ever buy from someone in that situation.

If this dealership really wants your business, they will order you a boat the way YOU want it and fix you up with something, like a rental boat, for the 4-6 weeks it takes to get the boat YOU want.

Or, find a dealer that will.
Sound advice, except the 4-6 weeks is not realistic.

Not sure why your dealer won’t add the electric power steering. My dealer gave me a quote of around $2,500 dollers to add it. Seems like it could be added with the engine.

My Last boat was a 14 Model almost like yours w/ F175 on it-It did 40 GPS

Back