ESP - adding it?

DejaWiz

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Some quick questions:

1. Can the ESP (25/32/25) package be added to either a twin pontoon or one equipped with SPS via a dealer?

2. Will Bennington custom build a boat with the ESP that normally isn't an option for a given series?
...such as building an 22+ foot SXP if the customer likes the furniture better than, say, a G or R series?

I have read before that Bennington will custom make/add certain features that are not normally part of a particular series option list. If I am recalling things accurately, 2 people between on here and FB that did custom ordered s-series boats with custom ESP hull configurations.

My assumption is that it is a fairly pricey proposition, but do not know any details.

I have read before that Bennington will custom make/add certain features that are not normally part of a particular series option list. If I am recalling things accurately, 2 people between on here and FB that did custom ordered s-series boats with custom ESP hull configurations.

My assumption is that it is a fairly pricey proposition, but do not know any details.

Thanks for the info. I did some math between the pricing for a 21GSR and 22SSRXP (both share the same specs in regards to hull lengths, pontoon lengths, etc), and the ESP package which requires power assisted steering is about $4400 more than the SPS with power assisted steering added on.

May seem a bit steep to most because, option for option, would bring the 22SSRXP within price tag striking distance of the 21GSR. But, to get the SXP furniture style that I really like better, it may be worth it to me.

Dunno. Just tossing around some ideas...

Last edited:
Another question regarding the ESP: is the cage style ski tow bar compatible, or just the pylon style?

Reason I ask is because whenever I select a boat with the ESP package, the only selectable ski tow option is the pylon style.

Another question regarding the ESP: is the cage style ski tow bar compatible, or just the pylon style?

Reason I ask is because whenever I select a boat with the ESP package, the only selectable ski tow option is the pylon style.
Couldn't the radius tow bar around the backside of engine be added to any configuration?

Thanks for the feedback. Not looking to do a Turboswing and, after we discussed it, would much rather have the factory available cage style.

Bennington refers to it as the "Deluxe Ski Tow Bar" for the bigger cowl engine options.

Thanks for the feedback. Not looking to do a Turboswing and, after we discussed it, would much rather have the factory available cage style.

Bennington refers to it as the "Deluxe Ski Tow Bar" for the bigger cowl engine options.
Just a question, but why would you prefer the "cage style" over the pylon? I loved how robust the pylons were and never had an issue with them. I can't remember where I saw or heard this, but I swear it was also rated higher / stronger than the "cage" . Unless you like the other for attaching attachments to it.

Just a question, but why would you prefer the "cage style" over the pylon? I loved how robust the pylons were and never had an issue with them. I can't remember where I saw or heard this, but I swear it was also rated higher / stronger than the "cage" . Unless you like the other for attaching attachments to it.

Precisely that - for attaching/holding things.

Nice summary from an older post:

Well, well, well - here is some awesome news!

The SXP series has been replaced with the L series, and look what's now an option!

Screenshot_20200805-083631.png
Screenshot_20200805-083702.png
Screenshot_20200805-083727.png

Here's the 22SFBXP (option for option) for comparison's sake:

Screenshot_20200805-083844.png
Screenshot_20200805-080444.png
Screenshot_20200805-083909.png

My sights are now officially set on an L series with ESP and Yamaha 200. I'm hoping that the VF200XA gets added to the list soon, but I'd be happy with the VF175XA or F200XB.

I would not waste my money on the big center tube. I have driven with and without in a 25' and cannot tell the difference. My R23 has the heavy duty tow package and 3 25" tubes with a 250 and power steering and its fine.

I would not waste my money on the big center tube. I have driven with and without in a 25' and cannot tell the difference. My R23 has the heavy duty tow package and 3 25" tubes with a 250 and power steering and its fine.

I've read/heard so many conflicting testimonies about SPS vs ESP.

Seems (in my mind) that the shorter boats (with 21-23' actual pontoon length) pushed by a *minimum* of 175-200 HP with the right prop makes a difference with the ESP in terms of straight line planed out speed runs as well as handling in higher speed turns versus the SPS. Dunno...I've only been on Bennington boats with the EPP and SPS, not the ESP.

22' L series (carryover of the 22 SXP series) has an actual pontoon length of 21'4"

S/L/LX series:
23' has pontoon length of 22'4"
24' has pontoon length of 23'4"
25' has pontoon length of 24'4"
26' has pontoon length of 25'4"

R/Q series:
22' has pontoon length of 22'4"
23' has pontoon length of 23'4"
24' has pontoon length of 24'4"
25' has pontoon length of 25'4"
28' has pontoon length of 28'4"

...and so on and so forth.

Hull weight (no engine):
22LFB SPS - 2491
22LFB ESP - 2531
25RFB ESP - 3298

My personal thoughts are that a smaller length and weight boats may very well benefit substantially more from the bigger center tube as long as the HP is there to utilize it. I tend to think along the lines that it wouldn't have a negative impact vs the SPS.

In a couple of years when I'm getting ready to buy, I might inquire if Bennington is able and willing to custom spec a 21LL or 21LSB (both have 20'4" pontoon lengths) with the ESP and a 200 HP rating, which is not normally available until you get up the 22+ foot S/L series.
Probably be one heck of a hydro hot rod!

The ESP better and i have had both. Not to say SPS is not greqt also.

I see you can put 425 ponies on the back of a 26' LX as well....:cool:

It looks to have a 200hp motor capacity limit. What’s up with that? Even the SPS+ can go to 250hp. On the other series boats with the ESP you can basically go all the way up in outboard motor HP. Thus, to me, this particular ESP package would not be worth the additional cost above the SPS. I just don’t see the handling alone as worth it. To me you need the turn handling + higher HP to justify the cost of the ESP over the SPS.

I am sure others might feel differently.

It looks to have a 200hp motor capacity limit. What’s up with that? Even the SPS+ can go to 250hp. On the other series boats with the ESP you can basically go all the way up in outboard motor HP. Thus, to me, this particular ESP package would not be worth the additional cost above the SPS. I just don’t see the handling alone as worth it. To me you need the turn handling + higher HP to justify the cost of the ESP over the SPS.

I am sure others might feel differently.

That's because the 22 SV, S, and L series are actually a 21' pontoon length. The 22 R and Q have true 22' pontoons, so they are rated for the higher HP.

Look at the pontoon diameter ,SPS is now available on models with 23 inch pontoons

I’m guessing at this, but the ESP will have better draft and time to plane, along with more willingness to yaw/turn with more wetted surface. Once on plane however, the increased wetted surface and weight will translate into drag and “may” have slightly lower speed and efficiency than an SPS +, all other things being equal. Analogy would be contact patch on a tire - more is better for acceleration and lateral grip, but works against you in other areas such as rotational mass. I’ve made this claim previously in another thread but I have zero data to back this up. Just playing back-seat naval architect.

So depending on your needs the ESP may or may not be the worth the premium. If money were no object I would have likely opted for it just for the draft alone so I can get skinnier when fishing shallow. Resale likely is also better.

Could be something Bennington would be willing to shed light on.

All specs/options may not be complete yet so there’s probably many things that won’t make sense yet. Been that way this time of year for many years. Options are there one day gone tomorrow

Look at the pontoon diameter ,SPS is now available on models with 23 inch pontoons

Where are you seeing that at?

From what I can gather in the boat builder sub-site, the 22 and 24 SVSR come standard with the 25" tube upgrade and the EPP and SPS are selectable options.

Back