Ethanol VS Non-Ethanol Fuels and Sta-bil Marine 360

You got that right. I can't imagine some of you guys (and gals) fuel bills in a season. We run ours 100+ hours a season and maybe spend $300-$350 in boat fuel for the season. 

I'll have to look it up, but from memory we ran a little less than 100 hours last season, and spent around $500 in gas.  You must run full throttle a lot?  Wait, stupid question.  You have a 20, so of course you go full throttle a lot. You have to!  Ha ha.  Sorry Semp, couldn't resist that one.

Go ahead, make fun of my first motor being a 115 and me not listening to the wisdom of the forum...

Also with a 115 Kaydano;  yea all bow down before me for I am the King of all idiots

WOW,a little hard on yourself! You didn't have all this wisdom available to you Link,while you made your purchase.I think everyone will pardon your decision on the 115.

Also with a 115 Kaydano;  yea all bow down before me for I am the King of all idiots

I'll have to look it up, but from memory we ran a little less than 100 hours last season, and spent around $500 in gas.  You must run full throttle a lot?  Wait, stupid question.  You have a 20, so of course you go full throttle a lot. You have to!  Ha ha.  Sorry Semp, couldn't resist that one.

Hell yeah, we always go full throttle ...... if not the wind pushes us backwards ...  :lol:

I used 10% etanol in my 2003 Mercury 90 HP. This motor is notorious for having carburetor problems because the jets are so small they plug easily. I had no issues ever. However, ethanol has a tendency to disintegrate fuel lines over time. So if you are forced into using ethanol you need to change the fue line every few years. That is my 2 cents.

Hell yeah, we always go full throttle ...... if not the wind pushes us backwards ...  :lol:

I don't laugh out loud much at things I read, but I did that one!  Thanks for the laugh.

I thought full throttle was the only position besides idle!! Man I have a ton to learn yet!!! :)  

We run hi test, non ethanol. I don't look at the cost too much.... I'd probably cry if I knew exactly how much I spend on gas or boating for that matter, I find it easier to lump sum it for the accountant!

Last edited by a moderator:
Per the owners manual it's 89 for the F200. That's what I've always put in mine.

My F200 manual says 86 minimum.  I always buy from the marina and they have 89.  

I also spent a lot of time researching non vs ethanol fuels.  It was my understanding that both Yamaha and Mercury manuals say it's ok to use 10% ethanol.  At least they did two years or so ago when I did my research.   My conclusion was the same as myv10, it's the fuel lines and other similar components that deteriorate and eventually get into the outboard causing problems.  That my two cents worth.

Good info Jack.  Glad I take the effort to only use 100% as with my slow rate of travel I don't burn through my fuel very quickly

My F200 manual says 86 minimum.  I always buy from the marina and they have 89.  

Just to clear up any confusion the manual for the V6 F200 shows minimum 86 octane. The F200 inline 4 manual states minimum 89 octane. John and I compared manuals... his is bigger.

Good info Jack.  Glad I take the effort to only use 100% as with my slow rate of travel I don't burn through my fuel very quickly

Its a pain but I only use 100% also .I carry 20 gallons at a time .Most of my travel is  no wake  from our marina to Burt Lake .I do open it up once I hit the lake  :D

Just to clear up any confusion the manual for the V6 F200 shows minimum 86 octane. The F200 inline 4 manual states minimum 89 octane. John and I compared manuals... his is bigger.

Yep, I mistakenly downloaded the wrong manual instead of referencing the paper manual that came with the boat for my inline 4.  Put me in the 89 minimum club.

Hey Jack, thanks for sharing! I use fuel treatment to help combat that effect. Interesting to see it in action....

Even though I use ethanol free ,I also use the Mercury additives .Just in case there was something  else in the tank 

The same at the fuel dock on our lake.....89 octane with no ethanol.  Granted it's about a $1 - $1.50 more than the e-10 at the pumps uptown.   

Back