Evinrude E-TEC G2 Power Steering

hallbob

Reaction score
Hello all:

Been spending a little time over at the Bennington Design Center trying to piece together my first Boat/Bennington ever ! While I haven't made and final decisions the 23GSB SPS looks like a sweet spot that would fit my needs perfectly.

For the power plant I'm considering either the Yammy F200 4 banger or the new Evinrude ETEC G2 200hp HO (or non HO). But I'm confused about the hydraulic power steering on the Evinrude G2's - as I understand the power steering is integrated but the design center still lists both the Sea Star Hydraulic and power assist as options. So my question is what has Evinrude integrated into this G2 with regards to the power steering? Is it the "equivalent" of a Sea Star Hydraulic system with the power assist, or just the hydraulic feature without the power assist?

Also, the design center lists two options for the Evinrude Etec G2 200hp:

200 HP NEW G2 HIGH OUTPUT 25 IN

200 HP G2 DPS 25IN

The inclusion of “DPS” on the non HO and not the HO version confuses me even more....

Calling on any G2 owners out there to clear this up for me.

Thanks!

Bob

I believe you need the Seastar hydraulic but not the power assist since it's incorporated with the motor. Also, DPS= Digital Power Steering.

If you’re going to buy a G2 get the HO version, I did not get the ho when I bought my G1 and I’ve regretted it ever since. Your dealer should be able to clear up the options on the steering and the available display options for the display, Evinrude has some really cool displays available with that motor.

If you’re going to buy a G2 get the HO version, I did not get the ho when I bought my G1 and I’ve regretted it ever since. Your dealer should be able to clear up the options on the steering and the available display options for the display, Evinrude has some really cool displays available with that motor.

I will check with the dealer like you suggest. I'm wondering if I even need the 200 HO.... check out this video where a 150hp G2 HO is pushing an R23 (around the 2 minute mark):

Unbelievable power ! It's not top end speed I'm looking for in this build but torque.

By bumping up to the 200 you’ll get exactly what you’re looking for. The ho version is a minimal cost upgrade. Having the 200 will let you maintain your speed with a loaded boat and when doing watersports. If you search through the forum you’ll see Lot of folks with the SPS/200 and are thrilled with it.

By bumping up to the 200 you’ll get exactly what you’re looking for. The ho version is a minimal cost upgrade. Having the 200 will let you maintain your speed with a loaded boat and when doing watersports. If you search through the forum you’ll see Lot of folks with the SPS/200 and are thrilled with it.

I recently went with a 150 and wish I would’ve went with the 200 in hindsight. I’d like my loaded performance to be a bit better.

Although I have a yamaha, 200hp on the back pushes the boat nicely.

I believe you need the Seastar hydraulic but not the power assist since it's incorporated with the motor. Also, DPS= Digital Power Steering.

Thanks for your reply. I dug deep into "the google" and did confirm this. The G2 has a "power assist" feature (DPS) built in, and the hydraulic hoses from the helm are run to fittings on the mounting/steering/trim-tilt assembly.

I have the 150HO and can answer most questions, as I have done a ton of research. Pricing from the 150 to the 150HO was minimal and worth it. Pricing from the 150HO to the 200 was not minimal and didn't have the same rebates and was not worth it in my opinion. You may get 2-3mph more than the 150HO. The 200HO is built on the bigger block and is even more money. This is what I was really debating on. The price difference from the 150HO to the 200HO was in between $5k and $10k and I just couldn't do it.

I have the DPS and the pricing on Bennington's website is a bit confusing. As mentioned above, they need to install the hydraulic lines for the power steering and that is the additional fee for DPS.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Back