Welcome to Club Bennington

An official club forum for Bennington boats

Login Register

Excessive spray

Discussion in 'Technical Stuff' started by K C, Dec 1, 2018.

1. K C

K C Member

i have what seems like excessive spray at the rear of my SX21. I have a 115 Yamaha. I notice the engine shroud gets wet which I read can be trouble if water gets in the air intake. Any ideas?

2. SEMPERFI8387

SEMPERFI8387 Moderator

How much spray? These things can run in the rain so I doubt you have a need to worry. Can you get a video?

3. K C

K C Member

I do. But there is some problem uploading it. It may be too big.

4. Vikingstaff

Vikingstaff Well-Known Member

If you upload your video to YouTube, you can drop a YouTube link into a post. I’ve done that once or twice to get a video posted in the forums.

5. kaydano

kaydano Well-Known Member

Express hull?

Let me know how you fix it. Been gnawing on that one for years...

6. K C

K C Member

7. kaydano

Mine is the same. That's how the Express is. But, you might try adjusting the steering cables and fuel line so they are not directly in the spray. That may help some.

Short of welding or bolting on aluminum water guides or wings of some sort, we will have to deal with the spray. Be glad you are not in a muddy lake with a black motor like me. Water spots are a nightmare.

I've thought about drilling some holes and bolting on some aluminum extensions to tame the spray so the motor cowl doesn't get wet, but haven't done it yet. Something about drilling holes in a boat...

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    Michiman likes this.
  8. K C

K C Member

Thanks for taking a look at it. My last (and first) barge was a 20’ Express with a 50 hp merc. It didn’t go fast enough to produce much spray. So when I saw this one I figured something was wrong. And I think even if it IS common it ain’t right. Spec calls for installing motor “ventilation plate height” whatever that is. I’ll be taking it in for service soon and will have it checked.

9. kaydano

None of the spray has anything to do with the motor or its mounting height. It has to do with the short center toon and the water coming off it.

10. K C

K C Member

You have looked into it pretty well evidently. I appreciate your input. Seems to be just poor engineering. I don’t like it.

Michiman likes this.
  11. kaydano

I agree. Design could be improved. And I don't like it either.

lakeliving likes this.