Excessive spray

K C

Reaction score
i have what seems like excessive spray at the rear of my SX21. I have a 115 Yamaha. I notice the engine shroud gets wet which I read can be trouble if water gets in the air intake. Any ideas?

How much spray? These things can run in the rain so I doubt you have a need to worry. Can you get a video?

I do. But there is some problem uploading it. It may be too big.

I do. But there is some problem uploading it. It may be too big.
If you upload your video to YouTube, you can drop a YouTube link into a post. I’ve done that once or twice to get a video posted in the forums.

Express hull?

Let me know how you fix it. Been gnawing on that one for years...

Mine is the same. That's how the Express is. But, you might try adjusting the steering cables and fuel line so they are not directly in the spray. That may help some.

Short of welding or bolting on aluminum water guides or wings of some sort, we will have to deal with the spray. Be glad you are not in a muddy lake with a black motor like me. Water spots are a nightmare.

I've thought about drilling some holes and bolting on some aluminum extensions to tame the spray so the motor cowl doesn't get wet, but haven't done it yet. Something about drilling holes in a boat...

Last edited:
Thanks for taking a look at it. My last (and first) barge was a 20’ Express with a 50 hp merc. It didn’t go fast enough to produce much spray. So when I saw this one I figured something was wrong. And I think even if it IS common it ain’t right. Spec calls for installing motor “ventilation plate height” whatever that is. I’ll be taking it in for service soon and will have it checked.
Mine is the same. That's how the Express is. But, you might try adjusting the steering cables and fuel line so they are not directly in the spray. That may help some.

Short of welding or bolting on aluminum water guides or wings of some sort, we will have to deal with the spray. Be glad you are not in a muddy lake with a black motor like me. Water spots are a nightmare.

I've thought about drilling some holes and bolting on some aluminum extensions to tame the spray so the motor cowl doesn't get wet, but haven't done it yet. Something about drilling holes in a boat...

None of the spray has anything to do with the motor or its mounting height. It has to do with the short center toon and the water coming off it.

You have looked into it pretty well evidently. I appreciate your input. Seems to be just poor engineering. I don’t like it.

I agree. Design could be improved. And I don't like it either.

Express hull?

Let me know how you fix it. Been gnawing on that one for years...
They may have found the answer. They installed a 115FXB which is an extra long shaft. It’s 5” to long. They are replacing it with an LB. hopefully this will do it. I’ll let you know. Someday. I have another break in to do.....

I used to have a gcw with a 200 and the spray was similar.
Thanks. I’m pretty much a rookie barge owner. Guess I don’t know what to expect. Performance is well under the yamaha charts for this rig. Unloaded it does 27 gps. Chart showed considerably higher mph with my prop. I expect that to improve some with the proper shaft length. Hopefully spray will too. I’ll follow up when I know.

6000 rpm on the console guage. Prop is Solas 13p 13 3/4” polished stainless stell. I’m guessing on the 13 3/4”. Pretty sure that’s right though.

I had the same issue with my 22 SSL. I installed a cavitation plate and it helped with the spray along with the boat getting on plane faster.

Back