Experience with Simrad G05?

ontarioguy

Reaction score
Hi all:

Putting my order in for a 2017 22SSLX with SPS and Evinrude 150HP Pontoon edition soon.

Trying to decide about a chartplotter/sonar. I would like to know if anyone has any experience they can share with the Bennington-installed Simrad G05? Rather than have my dealer remove the underdeck shield to install an aftermarket Lowrance or Garmin, I wonder if the Simrad will meet my needs, which are pretty basic: maps of my lake and nearby lakes that are easy to read and use, and I would like the ability to record areas of my lake like the Garmin allows, and I think you can do this, with a couple of extra steps, with Lowrance and Simrad via the Navionics or Insight software.

The cost of the factory-installed Simrad seems pretty steep and I am guessing I will need to add a map card for our lakes here in Ontario, Canada. My dealer said he would install an aftermarket device for C$200 plus the cost of the device and transducer. I like the idea of the 10 year warranty covering the Simrad, though.

So I guess I am wondering if anyone can comment on their experience with the Simrad.

With the standard helm, if I want a flushmount unit, it has to stay at 5 inches or below. If I go aftermarket, I might increase that size and use a RAM mount.

Thanks!

You may want to verify, but I think aftermarket electronics are covered by standard manufacturers warranty. I didn't think they were covered under the 10 year bow to stern warranty. I could be wrong, it's been known to happen every so often .....  :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, I just picked up a Simrad 5 with maps for a price I couldn't turn down. I did hands on at Annapolis and was impresssed. Just an FYI, they are owned by Lowrance. Uses some of the same transducers. It's kind of like GM owning Cadillac (Simrad) and GMC (Lowrance). I wonder which model the factory installs? Downscan or Totalscan (side imaging). 

I'm also getting ready to place our order and am deciding on whether to add the Simrad G05.  Does anyone know how it functions as a fishfinder?

From what I've read, as good as Lowrance but more bells and whistles. GO Wifi, can be linked to iPad or iPhone via app. being one of them. 

I have no experience with marine electronics and didn't order any with my 2017 21SFX. But after doing lots of research, I ordered a Simrad NSS7 Evo3 with a Total scan transducer. Probably overkill with regards to the fishing part but Simrad is a quality name, owned by Navionics along with Lowrance. They do a lot of commercial applications, so we're playing in their low end.

The NSS7 Evo3 appealed to me because of its chartplotting/GPS capabilities, plus it's a multi-function device that will give me the ability to upgrade to auto pilot and radar in the next couple of years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all, does anyone know if the factory installed Simrad G05 come with the transducer?

Ontarioguy: I really like my Simrad G05. I had mine factory installed as part of my new boat order in 2017. Great with maps, map information, easily saving waypoints, etc... Not sure if you will need to download maps due to being in Canada, or if you’ll be fine with what it already has.

Bone daddy: We don’t fish, so I haven’t used my Simrad G05 for that purpose/function. Others in these forums have reported that although they like the G05 overall, that it is not as good as other options when it comes to clarity as a fish finder. However, I am relaying their comments, as we don’t have personal experience using ours for fishing.

Hat place: Yup...factory installed is 100% set out the door with Simrad G05, all wiring, and transducer. It is pricey, but a complete job.

That seems like a good price, but I am not boat Navigational/electronics knowledgeable. I think the unit by itself is about $500 U.S. if you just went out and bought one individually.

Thus, for a small amount more, its already wired into the boat with the transducer at the factory, and under warranty. I know on the Bennington boat builder site, the darn option is $900+ U.S. dollars msrp on a SXP build. So even accounting for a discount, I’d say the equivalent of $650 U.S. is a nice price for the Simrad G05.

Maybe others have better informed opinions on this sort of thing...?

Thanks for that. I'm paying $800 CDN about $650 US...is this reasonable?

Street price around here is $469 (HDI model)plus tax and install labor. I installed my own, luckily, my boat was sitting at dealer, so I was able to run transducer wiring up to helm before he delivered to dock. I then installed the unit at the dock. Had to change helm panel for flush mount (G model helm), trim the opening a little bigger (Dremel tool), and connect wiring to existing spade terminal on accessory switch. I'd say $650 US is reasonable for work involved.

Back