Express Tube Package or Sport Performance System

Dobby's Sock

Reaction score
We are about to purchase our first Bennington and cannot wait! The only option we don't agree on is which tube package to buy. We will have an 150 HP engine, upgrade the steering if we purchase the express tube package, so the only difference between the two boats is the tubes.

We plan to use the boat for cruising and tubing. Kids are in their 20s so speed is their first choice. Price is too high for a 200 HP engine, so that's out.

Which tubes should we get? Why?
Thanks

Before buying our Bennington last year we did a lot of research and most of all listened to the people on this forum. We went with the sps and are very glad we did, it handles cruzing & pulling the grandkids on tubes great. Other options we are very glad to have added was the extended aft deck and power steering.

I've had both the Express tube on my '10 22' w/115 and the SPS on my '16 21' with 150. No comparison, the SPS is the winner. Do NOT skimp here, you will regret it.

Before buying our Bennington last year we did a lot of research and most of all listened to the people on this forum. We went with the sps and are very glad we did, it handles cruzing & pulling the grandkids on tubes great. Other options we are very glad to have added was the extended aft deck and power steering.
Thanks! We got the extended deck and power steering too. Thanks! And thanks for your input. Deciding tonight, hopefully.

I've had both the Express tube on my '10 22' w/115 and the SPS on my '16 21' with 150. No comparison, the SPS is the winner. Do NOT skimp here, you will regret it.
Thanks! We appreciate your experienced reply. That's the kind of input we needed.

Another great piece of advice that I got from this group was, “buy your last boat first.” Believe me it’s much cheaper in the long run doing it that way. Tell us more about the boat you are buying.

Another great piece of advice that I got from this group was, “buy your last boat first.” Believe me it’s much cheaper in the long run doing it that way. Tell us more about the boat you are buying.

22SSLX, Yamaha 150 HP 4S 20 in with Yamaha pre-rig, Sea Star hydraulic steering with tilt, Extended aft deck, kicker speaker upgrade, heavy duty rub rail, seagrass slate full flooring, dock lights in LED stainless housing, ski tow bar, reclining helm chair with bolster. We are going with ocean blue for the exterior and standard bimini and sandstone for the seats. We are naming the boat Dobby's Sock because it symbolizes freedom in Harry Potter books!

SPS all the way.

I have a 22 SSRX on order and my dealer said that he recommends a Yamaha 150, SPS Pkg., Extended Aft. and Power Steering as must haves. I took his advice along with a few other options and am waiting for delivery. Good luck with your build.

Don't forget the power assist.

With you listing tubing with adult kids as one of the main uses, I would agree with everyone above and say 100% get the SPS hull. It’s a great hull design, rides excellent on the water, and handles really well when pulling and turning with tubes.

I have a 22 SSRX on order and my dealer said that he recommends a Yamaha 150, SPS Pkg., Extended Aft. and Power Steering as must haves. I took his advice along with a few other options and am waiting for delivery. Good luck with your build.
Thanks! You too. We looked at that model as well, but my daughter-in-law and I thought we could make good use of the lounge while my husband tows the guys!

Don't forget the power assist.
Thanks! I found it online and added it to our "if we can afford it" list. We have a deep water dock in a wide cove. Not sure we need it, but if we can get it, we will.

Last edited:
What's the cost difference SPS vs Express?

We have Express. SPS was not an option in 2011. Not sure why they still make Express. It does sit bow high which has some advantages with a full boat. I'd still go SPS though.

Kaydano I think the only reason Express is still around is for guys like you and me; had a two toon and wanted to better theride without purchasing a new pontoon

What's the cost difference SPS vs Express?

We have Express. SPS was not an option in 2011. Not sure why they still make Express. It does sit bow high which has some advantages with a full boat. I'd still go SPS though.
I'm not sure what the actual price difference is, less than $2k once you add everything else in.

From the build site 22 SLX ( list prices )
https://boat-builder.benningtonmari...SSLXDI=true&PREM/OPT=597031dba9d29aca797b2413
Express Performance Package (20/22) We recommend Sea Star Hydraulic Steering Upgrade $2,385 904337
new%20info.png

Sport Performance System with Transom Fuel 22 S $5,932 905658
new%20info.png

There are other options that come with the SPS that are not with the Express .
If you had already added some of those to your build ,the cost difference is not as great

Wow. More than double. For a 25% longer center tube. Hope the extras are significant.

When I went through the same ordeal in 2014, after subtracting the options that I had included on the Express that were standard on the SPS .It was under $1800 for the upgrade .My problem was that I forgot to upgrade the motor too .

Back