Express tube question

Marshall

Reaction score
So I have a 2015 21 SF with a Yammie 115. It is a twin toon with no strakes. When I bought it I thought adding strakes wouldnt be a big deal but finding them and someone who has done it before to weld them has been challenging. I really wanted a tritoon and will eventually get one when the pocket book says I can. The reason I bought this one was I got a great deal and thought I could add the strakes. So my question is who out there has experience with adding an express tube? What kind of performance changes could I see? I really like the pontoon and if I could get the little extra out of it I'd like to keep it a few years. I can do 30 mph with just me in it. I would be content to gain a few more MPH but I more am looking at having less drop off in speed when putting more people on board. And also I know it will handle better in rough water too. So any input would be greatly appreciated. Also i am a Newbie and love the Benny and am looking forward to when I can get the next one!

My 2275RL originally came with two 25" toons. I added the express toon package for the same reason you are thinking. The express toon comes with strakes already on it. I also added the underskinning and between those two items I went from 26mph before the addition to 31mph. Just as important was the quality of the ride, sits higher, carries more weight and an obvious smoother ride (think underskinning played a bigger role in the smoothness)

I have said on here before, if looking at a new setup would not consider Express Toon Package, would pay a little more and get SPS but for those of us not ready to upgrade the Express too package was definitely a good investment

My 2275RL originally came with two 25" toons. I added the express toon package for the same reason you are thinking. The express toon comes with strakes already on it. I also added the underskinning and between those two items I went from 26mph before the addition to 31mph. Just as important was the quality of the ride, sits higher, carries more weight and an obvious smoother ride (think underskinning played a bigger role in the smoothness)

I have said on here before, if looking at a new setup would not consider Express Toon Package, would pay a little more and get SPS but for those of us not ready to upgrade the Express too package was definitely a good investment
Link
Did you put the express toon package on yourself? I ran into to you a few years ago over by sand island. Have 2014, same color as yours with 115 Yamaha, not sure if you remember. Still up there at Lasky’s Marina.

Yes I remember you, glad to see you on the forum as it is a wealth of info as well as fun. I bought the package from a Bennington dealer and had Adam, owner of Reets Boatworks in Mayfield do it. We store our boat there as he is personal friend of ours and has stayed with us here in Florida, in fact we are meeting him over on the gulf at Pine Island April 3. His core business is building wooden boats from the start including design, transportation and storage.

Yes I remember you, glad to see you on the forum as it is a wealth of info as well as fun. I bought the package from a Bennington dealer and had Adam, owner of Reets Boatworks in Mayfield do it. We store our boat there as he is personal friend of ours and has stayed with us here in Florida, in fact we are meeting him over on the gulf at Pine Island April 3. His core business is building wooden boats from the start including design, transportation and storage.
Thanks and your happy with decision to go with express package? I usually have 4-5 people on mine. If you don’t mind me asking but what was your cost to put on and was there a long wait before you received the express package.

Thanks and your happy with decision to go with express package? I usually have 4-5 people on mine. If you don’t mind me asking but what was your cost to put on and was there a long wait before you received the express package.

Having done the same on my previous boat, I can help with the timing question. There's really no way to ship an express tube other than tucked between the logs of a boat being delivered from the factory to the dealer. Bennington won't permit someone to pick it up at the factory, for various good reasons.

So, if the factory can even build you an express tube (they are putting complete boats together in an extremely high demand environment right now), it would sit there until a truck was scheduled to drop off boats at your installing dealership. Again, ASSuming there is a 2 tube boat on the truck (tri-toons are selling like hotcakes right now) you might get it put on the truck.

I'm not speaking for BM, but I would guess they would be most amenable to the idea during down time, if and whenever that might be. Possibly winter, but I have no clue when (or even if) there even is such a thing as down time any more at Bennington.

So long as I am speculating, I'd guess the parts and labor for such a project done at a Bennington dealer would be between $3000 and $4000...... but that's just a SWAG.

This probably sounds like a frustrating adventure and it just might be. However, Bennington is presently building 30-40 boats per day and due to the high demand, your intended project just might not be a high priority for them.

Hope this helps.

Agree with GoldenRod on timing as Bennington has had such a sharp untick in demand as they continue to increase market share. I will pm you on other costs

Hoffie, the real question here is whether you saw Link without a shirt.

Love those knee high socks ...... :D

I have a dumb question. Can anyone tell me what they call the covers on the M brackets on the outer pontoons are called. (On the rear) I see the newer pontoons have them to keep the critters out. Are they welded on or are they bolt on?

Kaydano when I am at the lake I never wear a shirt, lucky if I got pants on
I ordered an sps pontoon log for my 2013 2275 GCW in mid December and it’s finally going to ship next week. Long lead time.

When shipping a single toon it does not go alone, it gets bolted to a two toon boat for travel. Then shipping generally isn't scheduled until a dealer has a full load, four boats.

I have a dumb question. Can anyone tell me what they call the covers on the M brackets on the outer pontoons are called. (On the rear) I see the newer pontoons have them to keep the critters out. Are they welded on or are they bolt on?
If you mean between the deck and the tube it's called skirting and it's bolted. It's pretty much for looks.

If you mean between the deck and the tube it's called skirting and it's bolted. It's pretty much for looks.
Depending of whether it's full underskinning or "wave tamer," the pieces might be riveted, bolted or both. The wave tamer doesn't completely box in the underside of the hull.

Depending of whether it's full underskinning or "wave tamer," the pieces might be riveted, bolted or both. The wave tamer doesn't completely box in the underside of the hull.
I guess I didn't understand what he was talking about.

When shipping a single toon it does not go alone, it gets bolted to a two toon boat for travel. Then shipping generally isn't scheduled until a dealer has a full load, four boats.

When I ordered mine I was told that Bennington stopped doing that.(shipping any dealer parts with boat shipments, its a theft thing I guess.) It had to be shipped by itself that's why its 600 dollars from Indiana to Michigan.

See the caps on the back of the M bracket. They look like their welded on. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get some closeouts like that. Birds and muskrats the bain of my existence.

Inkedpontoon cap_LI.jpg

Apparently the newer models have those and the older ones didn't
I'd prefer to buy some and make them bolt on VS hand fabricating them myself.

Back