Express Tubes

spinzone

Reaction score
My dealer knew how upset I was this year when he turned me down on adding strakes. He informed me yesterday that adding the express tube w/strakes shouldn't be a difficult task. He's currently working numbers for me but if it's less than $2500, I'm going to pull the trigger.

Has anyone added the express package post purchase or will I be breaking the cherry on this one?

Guess it means I also will be upgrading the power plant as well come winter 2013!

Last edited by a moderator:
i had my inside strakes on the outter tubes added afterwards but not he center toon from what i understand it is a pretty easy bolt on are you gonna repower also?

If the dealer comes back with a reasonable price on the express pkg, then I'll absolutely repower. I have already worked out a deal on a Merc 150 four stroke but let that one fall through when I was told strakes were not possible. It'll be worth the investment now.

Hey SpinZone, you and I have very similar set-ups and like you I had been thinking of upgrading my tube design for a smoother ride and important to me, to carry more people. As you have seen in my posts I am pretty much a novice so ask a lot of questions. I have had some off-site conversations with someone whose opinions I respect and our comversation was specifically about Express versus the 3-tube with the full length center tube that includes the built in transom.

It was their opinion that the third toon with the express tube is a little cheaper but thinks I might be happier with adding the full lenth center tube. One of the comments was that the Express tube does work but rides a little bow high.

I see you saying the express tube may come in at $2500 and although I haven't spoken to my dealer about it yet I think the third toon + waveshield [which he says is a must for tri-toons] is going to come in at $3500.

My question to you is did you consider the tri-toon and choose the Express Package over it? Anyone else want to chime in with their opinions would be appreciated as well.

My dealer knew how upset I was this year when he turned me down on adding strakes. He informed me yesterday that adding the express tube w/strakes shouldn't be a difficult task. He's currently working numbers for me but if it's less than $2500, I'm going to pull the trigger.

Has anyone added the express package post purchase or will I be breaking the cherry on this one?

Guess it means I also will be upgrading the power plant as well come winter 2013!

I'm waiting for my express tube to come in and added to a new 2275 FSI. I thought about doing an up-power to 150 but then would also want power steering. I think if I recall, Bennington recommends power steering if you go to a 150 HP. And maybe you have it already. The retro for power steering was more than I was wanting to get into. For me, I'm staying at 115 and while it might take longer tot get where I'm going, what's the rush. Sit back and enjoy.

I read the post earlier about bow high ride with the express and I hope not, but how would I know if my first ride on it will have the express tube. No doubt having a tube a few feet longer would help some especially being next to the heaviest item in the boat, but also trust that Bennington would not continue to offer an add-on that really didn't work. You're still limited to the number of people and weight regardless of the add on tube. That was one of my questions about up-rating the pontoon.

Good luck with your new pontoon.

I'm purely looking for more speed out of my rig. If I can squeeze out 10 more mph, I'll be content. If not, I'll be adding the 150 Merc. next season.

I also bought the hydraulic steering when I purchased my boat new, so that is not an issue.

DansBenny, Sorry, certainly didn't mean that Express was a mistake; the person I spoke with said many are happy with the Express Package.

My situation is occassionally carrying many passangers on a 29 mile long lake that that is 6 miles wide where my camp is located; seeing 3-foot waves with whitecaps is not uncommon.

I bought a leftover 2011 that came with the standard two 25" toons and I have some concern since reading many posts on the subject of toons. I bought the leftover 2011 at such an attractive price that I will not feel too bad if I need to upgrade it to what I want/need.

The new 2275 FSI is a last year 2011 carryover for me as well. I really think that for as far back as the express tube goes, you are still going to get a better and dryer ride. With the lifting strakes on the center tube, should help some as well. The dealer mentioned to me the express tube mounts right up against the vee in front of the engine. So not a lot of wasted space between the express and back end of the pontoon.

And Spinzone I was only wondering if you choose between the two options rather than only the Express because I have also seen your posts, appreciate your comments and was looking to hear from as many knowledgable people as possible to help me make the best decision for my setup as to Express vs tritoon

Link, Now that I have the tri vs. express in my head, rest assured I will make sure everyone on here knows exactly what I find in terms of price and benefits of both.

Thank you for bringing up the standard option. It isn't something I thought was possible without breaking the bank.

And Spinzone I was only wondering if you choose between the two options rather than only the Express because I have also seen your posts, appreciate your comments and was looking to hear from as many knowledgable people as possible to help me make the best decision for my setup as to Express vs tritoon
http://publications.sitedonerite.com/bennington/brochures/2012/#/8/zoomed

Here is the standard description for the different configurations from the Catalog.

I have been a Bennington owner for all of 4 days now with about 3 hours on the water.

We have a 22GL series with the Express Tube Package and 150 Yamaha which adds weight (480/150 vs 401 on the 115). We have the 33 gallon tank about half full right now (call it 120lbs) mounted way back and thankfully it is centered for the most part. My only prior experience with pontoons was my Dad's 20 on a small lake with a 60 hp, puttering around at 10 mph and a rental 22 with a 60 hp Honda. Both these rode "flat", and I never experienced any waves to speak of so I can't speak to dry ride. If I were boating on a lake where I was experiencing many trips of 3 foot waves very often, I don't know that I would want a pontoon boat of any description as my main mode of transportation. I have been boating for 40 years + on mostly V Hulls, this is our 10th boat and a couple of new Sea Cats and a sail boat in up to 12 foot seas.

There is no doubt that the Bennington with EPP even sets more rakish (bow up stern down) than a conventional PB. Over the last few days I have looked at over 50 pontoons in my marina there is nothing that sets the way this does, I attribut part of that to the 150 with fuel. I was even concerned to the point where I took pics and sent them to the Dealer asking him if it was right. He indicated that it was. During the break in and up to 2000RPM the boat does ride a bit bow high compared with a flat plowing pontoon boat. It doesn't ride bow high relative to a V monohull though at the same speed since neither boat is planning and trimmed at that point. Not enough speed to generate and lift.

On my brief excursion then up to 4000RPM (don't know the mph yet as I have no speedo) there was substantial lift and the bow could be trimmed down somewhat. At that point the boat is riding like the pictures in the brochure on pages 8 and 9, that is the the front 1/3 is out of the water in a bow up mode, no longer piercing the waves with the bow.

Ours sits like pages 10 and 20.

With my vast experience then ;) those that think a EPP rides bow high must be coming at it from a dual toon experience that sits and rides flat. I don't find it out of the ordinary then based on what and how these higher speed, more surface area, "semi-planning" boats are designed to perform.

BTW, the power assist steering is just incredible. I don't know what it would be without it, but with it, steering is effortless and must be a real boon to those doing lots of turns with tubes.

P1010008-001.jpg

EPP front

P1010002.jpg

Wave Shield and center tube strake.

P1010005-001.jpg

P1010020-001.jpg

2012-03-30_13-01-16_420.jpg

I'll be better equipped to talk about high speed ride with more load soon.

What are you double log 22 foot guys rigs rated for weight wise?

Mine 22 with the ETP is labled at (13 people) or 18100 lbs.

If you have two logs now, do you have strakes on each one now? On the ETP there are no strakes on the outers. Maybe you will get even more lift if you have strakes now when you add the ETP?

The 2275 twin elips are rated for 13 people. According to the website, only the esp had a higher people rating at 14.

I'm curious as to why on the website on the performance Page, only the twin elips show a speed estimate of 30mph plus with as little as 90 to 115hp? I would think bennington would want to show some numbers on your top of the line package?

I wonder if there is room under the deck if you have twin elips if you could add the express center toon? Not sure if you'd see any performance gains?

Todd

Well, I got the full install quote from the dealer. $3000 for the Express Tube package installed with strakes and shield. I've got a new baby on the way this week but have decided to have this done before the end of the season. Hopefully this purchase will satisfy my need for more performance out of my rig.

Congrats on the new baby!

Since you have some time before buying the center tube, you should try to get a ride on a toon with an Express tube and one with a SPP (full length center tube) for comparison. If the boat has a 150hp (more stern weight)......even better to emphasize the difference in stern buoyancy (or lack of). A picture speaks a thousand words......take a look at the above pic. If you are seriously considering more hp at a later date, you owe it to yourself to make the most informed decision. The SPP is only about $700 (20') more than the ETP, which isn't much considering its advantages.

But, there are many happy ETP owners out there.

My take on the ETP vs SPP subject......Some people are happy with just cake......because they've never had it with ice cream.

Ben,

Thanks for the info. I'm also waiting on a SPP quote. I'll be adding one or the other for sure. I've got a new dock mate with a GL w/ SPP that moved in next to me. I'll have to find time to get to know him as well as the new RCW w/ 300 Yamaha next to him!

When I originally bought the boat, 25mph was plenty quick enough. Then I found myself dissatisfied with a 14mph cruising speed and found my hand on the throttle more than I would have liked. I'm trying to find the right balance between cruising speed and fuel economy.

I feel that if you're considering more hp in the future, which WILL equate to more weight at the stern, the SPP tube is the way to go. If you keep your 115, you may be happy with the ETP.....or not. I've seen enough of the ETP's to know that it definitely wouldn't be my choice simply because it rides bow high. There is no buoyancy at the rear to support the weight. The facts are that the stern is where the biggest share of the weight lies....engine and fuel. As I said earlier, look at the above pic. With a 150 hanging on the back of an ETP, the front of the tubes are barely resting in the water while the rear is way down. It rides the same way at cruising speeds. IMO, I'd spend the extra money and not wish I had later. Just take a look at which center tube is offered in the R and Q models. That may possibly influence your decision.

Just as a comment, when we were looking closely at Bennies on our lake to decide how to go with ours we noticed a new 22' tri toon version that looked really bow-high. It has the extended rear deck and a 150 Merc. I did not care for the front high look when cruising and also when stopped. I thought maybe it would feel odd when floating and the boat was not somewhat level. On closer look one day I noticed it was an express tube model. I believe it sits front high because it has a large and heavy engine on the back, especially with the extended engine mounts used today, and the fact on an express tube model there is about 5'-6' of area to the back that has no middle tube or its associated bouyancy. That is where the major weight of the boat is located, and with the engine hanging off the extended back, the lever action is raising the front. I think it works ok, but I think some people may not like the front up attitude.

Not saying good or bad, but its something to consider.

We have the express with a 115, and i have not noticed excessive bow lift. On the S models, express is the only option. Far as i know, you can't get the standard tritube option.

Put some bodies up front. It will level out!

Back