Fill/Bleed Hydraulic Steering

Rick S

Reaction score
Anyone added fluid to their hydraulic power steering unit and successfully bled out the air? I've watched a few Youtube video's on doing it but was hoping someone in the forum had done it and can offer any advice. If I'm going through the process, would you consider draining all the fluid and refilling rather than just adding fluid. My boat is a 2010 and I don't know that it has ever been changed.

Rick

Rick, we have the same Yamaha 150 and steering system. I saw your pictures in another thread. My boat is a 2011 but the engine manufacture date is 2010. I've probably watched some of the same YouTube videos about topping off the fluid and share your same concerns. Do I need to do a full bleed/drain, or can I simply add a little fluid and turn the wheel ten turns in each direction? My steering is pretty smooth and responsive, but there is a little noise that I suspect is either due to low fluid or air bubbles. It's not a major concern, but something I would like to maintain properly, given the right instruction.

Back