Filling up

archangel

Reaction score
Just recently purchased and took delivery of a 2011 2574 GCW and filled the boat for the first time (boat came with a full tank originally). When fueling up at the marina I noticed that some gas overflowed before the gas handle could kickoff. Any tricks or suggestions on how to prevent gas from overflowing before it triggers the gas handle?

I know I can just listen and when the gas sounds closer, slow the gas down to try to limit the spillage. This is the first boat where I have had the gas cap on the side of the boat.

Thanks!

We have the 20SLi, it did the same thing to me. I hate gas getting on the finish. I don't know if it is a problem with the gas pump or maybe the vent system on the boat. I thought i would just put less fuel in it in the future. Congats on the new boat, and welcome to the forum!

My 2007 was the same way. spilled out everysingle time I filled no matter how careful I was. Have not had the chance to fill my new 2011 yet but asume it will not be any different.

Pontoon boats in general need to be filled slowly at the gas dock. You'll need to hold the pump (not lock it to fill automatically). Sorry, nature of the beast.

It's not just pontoons... Every boat I've owned has been this way. I want it quiet, so the first little gurgle I here. I shut off....

Yuppers, same for me. My big boat (a 24' cuddy) and my former boat (a Donzi Sweet 16) both require(d) manual shutoff.

No biggie.

I agree, it is a problem for all boats not just pontoons.(or at least all the boats that I have ever fueled) As long as you have good access to fuel, the only way to make sure that you don't spill is to know map your gauge to know how much gas you can put in and only put in 80-90% of full. Of course if you're like me, I want it full to the top to make sure that I don;t have to fill up again.

I usually just lift up the sun deck cushion and watch how much fuel is in the translucent fuel tank.

Back