Final Changes

skipperbill

Reaction score
Well, I have been obsessed with my build and what things I may have missed. It may be too late to make any final changes but some of these things below seem like mods that can be made in the final stages or even at the dealership. I know a lot of these options are discussed in other threads but below are things that I didn't get that I wonder if maybe I should request at the last minute OR if I should just wait and possibly add them later. See my signature for an overview of what I ordered. I am also interested in any criticisms of my thought processes below. Thanks!

1) Dual Battery (I have the power dist panel and battery on/off switch on my order and it seems this could be added, possibly even cheaper, by me). I have a battery booster that I plan to bring on any all-day outings when the radio is playing for extended periods with the motor off.

2) Sharkskin protectant: for now, I am going to have the boat tied to my dock for the first part of the Summer and reevaluate my lift possibilities after I make some water depth measurements, etc. I kind of feel like it would be easy enough to power-wash the toons at the end of the season and possibly apply Sharkskin or Toon-brite myself in the Fall. $550 to add to the order.

3) R-series Captain's chair. When I sat in the G-series chair, I was amazed at what a step up it is from my '91 JC chair. I wonder if anyone could chime in on how much better the R chair is and whether it's worth the money. I think $500-ish.

4) Blue ice LED lights. To add per my dealer would be: cup holders $250, bimini top $200, underwater $610, and side illumination $725. That's $1785!! Seems I could do this a lot cheaper with all of the brilliant info. on this forum.

Don't be offended as I realize these topics have been touched upon already and are getting exhausted. However, I'm sure these are questions that many have had to deal with. Plus, I'm bored and ready for Summer and wanted some interesting thoughts to read. Thanks to all!

Btw, the brochure lists the Kicker speakers as being illuminated. Does this mean blue or white or just an error?

Sharkskin is going to be a lot tougher to apply and have it look good once the boat has been in the water. My dealer said if it even sits in the parking lot for a couple weeks they already start to tarnish so it has to be cleaned and stripped by hand. Powerwashing just gets the dirt off for the most part. It's certainly something you can do yourself later but it's a lot of work.

Get the sharkhide from the factory. You will not regret it. As for the LED lighting, are you ever going to take night time cruises (water patrol can ticket you for running extra colored lights).

Skipper, the sharkhyde will be worth the money. When you do it yourself it's almost impossible to get the bottoms of the tubes. Steve

1) Dual Battery--I see no reason to have two if you're not running a power assist SeaStar pump or a trolling motor. The battery box backup is especially nice if it has an air compressor to inflate floaties.

2) Sharkskin protectant: If the factory can add it, go for it. The aluminum surface is too much work to get ready for Sharkhide. But don't think it'll keep off the green grunge. Assign everyone a ScotchBrite pad during every trip to the lake and tell'em to get scrubbing.

3) R-series Captain's chair. My G-series chair is just fine, and see no reason to spend more $.

4) Blue Ice LED lights. Their use is somewhat overstated unless you run often at night. I've yet to even cut on the bimini LED lights. And $1875 is a bunch of money to spend. You can install enough LED's to satisfy your needs for very little $. And you can put'em exactly where you want'em.

Excellent advice and kind of what I was hoping to hear considering the Sharkskin is the main item I am on the fence about. I am waiting to hear back from the dealership about possibly adding it. I sure don't want it to delay my order or give them an excuse to do so. Thanks!

I would get them all, except the lighting, but I never go at night, if you do then that may sway your decision. The duals are piece of mind, the R chair, well that's a no brainer, It's where YOU sit!!! Sharkhide for all the reasons these guys said.

How many have the dual batteries and switch ?

Do you find it helpful and safer

What does it do when the boats sits for a week or two ?

I am quoted 280.00 includes battery install and switch ? Good?

Ron

I don't have 2 batteries but $280.00 doesn't sound bad to me.

Bill,

Oh ya, now I see what you are getting (ref., my private email). Now on my laptop and I can see it. That is a super-sweet unit. You are going to love it. I traded my 2001 Sweetwater in on a 2013gl and will pick it up when we go back to Wis. for the summer. I have never had a tri-toon or max hp motor on a pontoon. The lakes up in my neck of the woods usually run 50 to 90 hjp. I did have a 200 Yamaha on my Ranger flats boat. Great motor, not a bit of trouble with in, not like the 150 Optimax that was an electrical pain in the ..... Not good when you are on the Gulf of Mexico.

Anyway, have a great summer and enjoy your new Bennington. It looks great!!!!

jim

Sitting for a couple weeks doesn't hurt them, heck mine have sat for longer than that between uses. I always just make sure that when I do get out on the lake, I put it in 1+2 and go for a nice rip around the lake once the motor warms up a little. Never had an issue. As for the tube inflation , I use a little $20 pump that can either use a cigarette port or clip on the battery. Now, I DO always have my booster pack, but so far I've only used it for other boats, which is handier and safer than running booster cables from my boat to theirs.

1) Dual Battery--I see no reason to have two if you're not running a power assist SeaStar pump or a trolling motor. The battery box backup is especially nice if it has an air compressor to inflate floaties.

2) Sharkskin protectant: If the factory can add it, go for it. The aluminum surface is too much work to get ready for Sharkhide. But don't think it'll keep off the green grunge. Assign everyone a ScotchBrite pad during every trip to the lake and tell'em to get scrubbing.

3) R-series Captain's chair. My G-series chair is just fine, and see no reason to spend more $.

4) Blue Ice LED lights. Their use is somewhat overstated unless you run often at night. I've yet to even cut on the bimini LED lights. And $1875 is a bunch of money to spend. You can install enough LED's to satisfy your needs for very little $. And you can put'em exactly where you want'em.
Duals--wish I had, will probably install this year just as added protection

Sharkskin-- DO IT !!!! Wish I had it, too late for now, i just scrub every week or two while docked at island

R Chair --- S was fine till I sat in G, then G was fine till I sat in R ........ :p

Blue Ice -- Would never use underwater stuff, but I have the mood and bimini. Don't cost much extra but nice to have if needed. I LIKE them !!

Ok there's my 2 cents ....... :blink:

I went all in with no regrets. Only thing I did not order was Sharkhide, guess now I need to call my dealer again tomorrow. ;0)

Yeah, I added on the Sharkhide protectant after all of this debating. I'm sure I won't regret it.

Back