Finally adding a trolling motor to the boat!

lakeliving

Reaction score
I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a trolling motor for the boat along with some other goodies needed for install. I unboxed the motor and mount last night so not much to report as of yet but I'm super excited about the new opportunities this opens up for me out on the water. I've been loosing sleep coming up with a mounting solution but I think I have it figured out. I'm going with an undermount setup so there are no holes in the flooring. Stay tuned!!

Here is my parts list:
-Minn Kota RipTide Terrova 112lb 60" 36V with I-Pilot
-RTA-54 Quick release mount
-Minn Kota - MK315D on board charger
-Minn Kota 60amp circuit breaker
-Battery Tender trolling motor receptacle and outlet

The one challenge I have is I fish from the console area with the fish finder and control the trolling motor. It is hard to see what direction the motor is facing. I tried a fiberglass pole bicycle flag but the wind blows the flag around. I can not get anything too tall because it will interfere with the front seat fisher people. Any ideas?

Do you have the 54"? The shortest 112 is a 60" so I'll see how that does. I'm mostly planning on using spot lock so I'm hoping I don't have to worry about where it is aimed.

But for you, what about using that flag pole, tear the flag off and add a little fin that is fixed and stiff so it shows direction.

How is the reception from the remote?

Today’s progress update. Completed the mount. Borrowed the idea of a fellow member for a receiver style under deck mount. Still need to clean it up a little bit but it feels solid. Still waiting on a few electrical parts but should be done soon.
4564017F-0E4A-423F-864D-DAFBA6555F2B.jpegA2FB1181-E468-4E06-AA92-4D3BA6BBCA6A.jpeg4564017F-0E4A-423F-864D-DAFBA6555F2B.jpegA2FB1181-E468-4E06-AA92-4D3BA6BBCA6A.jpegA070A8D4-7D3C-440E-9360-473DF6B4E1DC.jpeg296238E3-A57C-489D-9485-8D86BC13F573.jpeg8311AD29-6925-4EFF-B9A7-8864648619FD.jpeg

Thanks Jeff!

I’m not sure why some photos are being duplicated. When I try to edit they are only showing in there once.

Last edited:
I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a trolling motor for the boat along with some other goodies needed for install. I unboxed the motor and mount last night so not much to report as of yet but I'm super excited about the new opportunities this opens up for me out on the water. I've been loosing sleep coming up with a mounting solution but I think I have it figured out. I'm going with an undermount setup so there are no holes in the flooring. Stay tuned!!

Here is my parts list:

how much did that rig run you?

how much did that rig run you?

all in I’ll be just shy of $3k. I had the square aluminum already though. Trolling motor was $2149.

Last edited:
Nice job LL! Yeah, I'd say it's money well spent. We'll look forward to some more fishing stories...

The remote has worked pretty well. Sometimes people are in the way. I have switched back and forth with the foot control. With the remote it is harder to know what level of thrust is set. Yours probably does not come with the foot pedal.

I need to work on the flagging this spring. All I had up in Canada was wire ties and the bike flag. It did not work and looked like crap. Would love the I-pilot but $3K for 1 week of fishing a year.:oops: Maybe I just figure the bass will cost me $37.50 a pound for 2 years.

Bruce, I played with the i-pilot remote the other day and was impressed to see that it displayed what the current thrust setting is. And it looks like the 60" shaft will allow me to see where the motor is facing so I'm hoping there are no issues. I always thought about the cost per pound of fish when these guys go off shore and spend $500 on fuel and $100 on bait.

Can you use that as a bow thruster for docking?

If so, just say you put it in for docking and the fish are free again.

Here is my parts list:

Here is my parts list:

Here is my parts list:
Hey Michigander,
This is exactly the setup I want for my fishing Benny. My boat has been in winter storage so I wasn’t sure what length shaft to buy.
Do you think the 60” is right or would the 72” be better?

I wouldn’t go 72. 60 was the shortest available in the 112lb size. Plus it’s already pretty tight for room with the 60 on the front of the boat.

I was finally able to water test the trolling motor this weekend and what a game changer! I’m super happy with the maneuverability and the 112lb thrust has been plenty so far even in 15mph winds and in white caps. The spot lock feature is beyond impressive and works as advertised. With the push of a button on the remote it locks down with military precision. I added the heading sensor that allows for some additional functionality as well. Now when I’m using spot lock I can jog the boat in any direction in 5’ increments. I haven’t bothered with recording tracks and all of that but will soon enough. For the header sensor I used some leftover king starboard and made a puck to go into the cup holder at the helm. This way there are no additional holes! I tapped into the wiring on the acc switch that was not being used. Per the wiring diagram it was for a center bilge pump which I don’t have. For any of those wondering if they work, THEY WORK AWESOME!!

I also added some c e Smith load guides (60”) to the trailer.

C7C4EEE1-50F8-4716-BE96-1B232959681B.jpeg705EA3E4-BFBA-40B8-95C4-2EA78B68CB33.jpegC206B6C4-E2EB-4D58-BFC2-E520EF7FB592.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow, sounds like money well spent! Very nice installation as well. Now go out and enjoy!

Supposed to get into the low 90’s this week and with daylight savings time coming up that will give me an extra hour when I get home!

Sounds and looks like an amazing set up. I am sure many will benefit from your insights and experience with it. Enjoy that sunny weather and fishing! :)

Every time I see your dock I think of your little visitor/friend under there..........

Every time I see your dock I think of your little visitor/friend under there..........

FWC came and got him out a couple days after I saw him. We now have a little 3 footer that lives in a drain/culvert 2 houses down.

88BC253B-0F62-4370-A68D-8C02E5B3F51A.jpeg

Last edited:
Back