Fire pits

Robin

Reaction score
Fire pits for pontoon. Small lake, electric motors only. Would you?

If I boated at night more, yes. There are many on the market.

I'm not sure I understand the question but it may just be me. Are you saying fire pit on the boat? Is this a thing?
If so, seems to me gas fumes and fires don't mix.

I’d have to look into it, but it seems like a cool idea. I’d be concerned about water and a wave knocking anything over.

I have seen them, although never in person, the ones I saw were just that gel inside a table / countertop that would extinguish by placing a cover over it.

If it was all responsible adults on board I guess you could, but unless I'm hearing a crackle and smelling the sweet smell of burning wood, don't really think it is worth it for me.

With an electric motor, you would eliminate the concerns with gas/fumes/fire from the motor, gas tank, fuel lines end of it.

The idea of those propane based fire pits on a pontoon sounds cool, but would un-nerve me. However, think about how many have propane grills strapped on railings and use them with no issues.

I guess I’m too much of a worry wort to try either: propane grills or fire pits on my pontoon.

No open fires on board for me.

I’ve seen pictures (even on this forum a couple years ago - that may have been a link in a post about the company). They look really nice, but I agree it seems like an accident waiting to happen!

If I did that, I'd probably get swarmed by bugs flying from shore towards the fire, then someone would spray bug spray, and everything would ignite.

Last edited:
I know EXACTLY what your talking about! I got quite a laugh with your reply:D

No issues so far with the one I put together from various components. I would say it is no more or less dangerous than an onboard grill as long as you observe caution. There are boats on our lake that have been selling grilled food off the deck cooked on regular bbqs for years. The burner I bought has glass which contains the fire fairly well. You would not want a fire going if people were swinging towels around or something, or if the waters were fairly busy or choppy, but it is nice ambiance for a mellow evening cocktail cruise on a chilly night. These pics were taken on July 3rd watching fireworks over the lake.

pit1.jpeg pit2.jpeg pit3.jpeg

With boating, safety is paramount and you also have no control over other boaters no matter how safly you operate a tight ship.

That said, I follow 2 simple rules: don't voluntarily put fires or holes in the boat. Personal preference .

I have a camp fire in a can. They went out of business but alot of copy caters out there now.

Back