first Bennie

r40th

Reaction score
Hi All,

We just bought our first pontoon boat. A 2075 GL w/twin 32” ellipticle, salt water package, lifting strakes, 115 HP Yamaha, hydraulic steering, 33 gal. tank. We have had other boats but this is our first outboard. It is at the dealer waiting to be fitted.

I hope we have an early spring so we can try it out. I also hope it has enough engine, 115 was the largest with twin 32’s.

Anyone use Davits on their Bennington?

Congrats. A 115 should move that 20ft pretty well. I have a 115 on loaded up G series 22 and it moves ok, for a 22 I think you need 150 for tubing and skiing, 115 though was a good choice for your boat.

Congrats on your new pontoon.Once you realize how easy the 4stroke o/b are to maintain you will love it that much more. Especially hanging on the back of the best pontoons built.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you asking if anyone uses a davit boom to load things on their pontoon boat?

I don't think so. I have seen some big houseboats use davit booms, but just for little tender boats or Waverunners.

I have a davit boom on my pier for a SeaDoo. The new Waverunners run 900+ lbs. with gas, and they're just too heavy for davits.

Wow!

1. Thanks for all the congrats and affirmations, looks like I can feel comfortable with my purchase. Also looks like this is a good forum to be part of.

2. Actually I will be using two 4500 lb Davitmaster Davits to lift my bennie out of the water. I have used the Davits on all my boats to keep them out of the salt water without having to bottom paint. I am in the process of rebuiding the davits now (winter project to keep me busy). I plan on using two spreader bars and lifting at the 4 lift lugs on the pontoons if that is what the dealer tells me after a call to Bennington. I'll post some pictures after everything in place.

Let’s have an early Spring and long Summer.

Our lake has pontoon boats sitting on "cradle lifts." I only see spreader bars on straight inboard boats, like Ski Nautiques, etc. however even most inboard boats are now sitting in cradles.

I've read online that lift lugs on the corners of pontoons are insufficient to hold up a boat. One even had engravings not to use it for lifting purposes. Since pontoons are like "kites", I assumed a strong wind could cause a hull suspended by a couple of spreader bars to swing around.

I suggest you contact Bennington's customer service department for lifting questions.

Back