First Dent

JTaylor

Reaction score
So me and the missus were out practicing our “crew coordination” for docking while the marina is still mostly deserted, and it was a bit windy.  What an education on how much a 24 foot pontoon is influenced by the wind.

We had some issues with one approach, and while we were focused on the bow clearing a neighboring slip's piling the motor came in contact with the nearby fixed pier.  It didn’t seem like much.  When we were finally done for the day I noticed I had about a 2” crack in the motor cover.

I know I had to have a first “dent” at some point, but I feel bad it happened to the motor cover.  We learned a lot of lessons today.  Someone please tell me it’s all right.

:-(

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG 

I know I would feel as bad as you do

Docking something so big is a concern of mine as well

I am hesitant just towing the boat from the dealer 

All I can say is I can relate 

Wish we could turn the clock back and think it through again 

If it is just the cover, is replacing it affordable or does the insurance company need to get involved?

Motor cover ain't cheap.

The crack really only stands out if I point it out.  The pics I have in my gallery are at the dealer's marina, and they had it backed in.  We'll "front in" at our home marina, which is a few miles away from the dealer but closer to our house.  We'll move for good once they fix an issue with the battery location.  

I just unfortunately let the wind take too much control of the bow and let the boat drift where I didn't attend. 

Alright  ,I'll tell you . It will be OK .

If it were me . I would be so mad at myself .

I would most likely have it at a body shop already .

It's a beauty mark. As long as it is only cosmetic, you now have a new conversation starter. It'll be alright. I have a smaller than pea sized "chip" on the top of my cowl. It happened during my LOTO adventure. During the heat of the moment I removed my cover and put it on the dock... Hindsight, sould have put a towel down. Now... Reminds me how silly i looked when I was walking up and down a dock cussing at an inanament object over something neither of us could control.

Think of it as learning to ride you bike and to wreck only to get five stitches in your knee...yup...that one happened to me too... I have the scar to prove it. I was a lil' shaver eager to learn.

That's my biggest concern being at the marina on Lake St Clair cross winds pushed my 26' cruiser around pretty good some time. At least the cruiser I could stick the nose in to the slip pretty easy and the dock bumpers would help guide me in the rest of the way but I hit those pretty hard sometimes. If you are the only one that notice it it will be fine would wait on getting it repaired until you are more comfortable with docking.

When we were finally done for the day I noticed I had about a 2” crack in the motor cover.

I know I had to have a first “dent” at some point, but I feel bad it happened to the motor cover.  We learned a lot of lessons today.  Someone please tell me it’s all right.

:-(
Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooo!

The first cut is the deepest......

Yea, a Yamaha 90 motor cowling is $1,358 buying it online--not including the vinyl lettering.

And someone said it's cheaper to have a body shop bondo the place and repaint the cowling.

My dealer quickly told me to be very careful with my F150 motor cowling whenever I check the oil levels because they do not float.  It's too easy to drop'em in the water.

I was looking at my old Starcraft pontoon boat that I purchased in 1985.  That foam filled U shaped hull doesn't have one single dent in it after all those years.  I really need to get it cleaned up and sell it.

I had some pretty good winds the other day....so here is what I did and not sure if this is possible for you.  I have 25' lines so I made my 2 teenage daughters get off and walk along with me and keep the toon steady...while I was loading on the trailer.  Obviously, if you do this you need to keep anyone assisting safe and longer lines is better.  Ramp was pretty empty so I am not sure if this would be feasible in many cases or if most would have the room.

As a recently retired military pilot perhaps I'm most embarrassed that I let the machine and environment control me instead of me getting ahead of them.  We also didn't have the boat hook ready and where we needed it to get a good push off a piling to help bring the nose around into the wind.  

Some good lessons learned in tough conditions which I'm glad I learned now when there weren't other boats or obstructions around. 

Well, at least you were on the water..........I was at Lake Anna changing 4 dry rotted tires on my trailer. A P.I.A.!!!!!!!

It hurts now but hopefully you'll look back on it and laugh one day............

Who remembers the vintage Yamaha Motors ?

h2_part1.jpg

pic_part1_001.jpg

I guess the biggest differences were the NOISE and Weight !

Hey JTaylor,

Sorry to hear that. I'm a bit nervous about this sort of thing as well. Our first boat is on order, we get it in a few weeks. Sounds exactly like something that would happen to me.

Reading this post is a good reminder to me to be careful as I'm learning to navigate these boats.

Good luck, and unless it really bothers you, let it be. I bet you're the only one who will ever know. Besides your good friends here on the forums.

Biggest challenge coming from v bottoms to Big Ole Barges is control.

Bit of advise, don't try to curve these in using the wind like on V haul. Learn how to use the motor. -hopefully you have power steering-

It sounds weird but with a 25 footer and tritoons, the wind, and a crowd watching- I learned to change my driving style quickly.

Good advice SnakeByte, let it go and enjoy 

One thing you'll need in any kind of wind or current is GET HEAD WAY. The toon will respond when you have some forward motion. Going too slow and the boat will seem to do what it wants. You'll find that with some head way you'll get better response for the boat and steerage from the motor. Sorry to hear about the motor. Get a good glass man, it can be fixed.

Back