First Pontoon: 2018 Bennington 23SSBXP....Can't Wait!

Yeah, I think it’s easy to get caught up in the numbers. My goal was also to be in the mid thirties with the sea legs. That’s about where I’m sitting so I guess it’s mission completed. For us, I can’t see doing over 30mph that often anyways.
It was nice for the Evinrude guy to come out and give you a professional opinion though!

That’s very nice. I really thought 35’ish would be best case scenario. The reality is the vast majority are not going to boat faster than that much anyway, and certainly too fast for safe water sports. When I read results like yours, and reflect on our use last summer on our new 2017, it reinforces Sea or Ultra legs would have been a viable option for me, perhaps a better option in extending my boating season.

Congrulations on getting some very nice results with your new boat!!!

Utilizing Evinrude's I-Trim I made it to 36 today with just me in the boat, 3/4 tank fuel.

Right on!
Once it’s broken in maybe you’ll be able to squeeze a bit more out of it too. At least that’s what my dealer told me.

We are here to enjoy it now, did all we could to get it setup properly. As of today no more issues to speak of and we plan to use it extensively this summer. I know the ETEC G2 motor is not a popular choice so I will continue to provide feedback as it ages. Obviously I don't have anything to compare it too but I really like it and have no concerns at this point.

Love your avatar Devin. It perfectly describes the reason we bought our Bennington.

Love your avatar Devin. It perfectly describes the reason we bought our Bennington.

Thank you. My motto of life is truly "Family First". I refuse to take promotions because of the added stress and time commitments needed to be successful in those positions. You only get one shot at raising your kids right and showing them the proper values of life. I will not waste it.

Today I asked for pricing to change to from the 150HO G2 to the 200HO G2 since I have been slightly disappointed with the performance...darn sea legs. I was told it would have been $6,535 if I had did it when I ordered the boat and $9,500 to do it now...yikes! That is a lot of money for 4-5mph.

Is there any type of “tune” out there to get some extra power?

That’s very nice. I really thought 35’ish would be best case scenario. The reality is the vast majority are not going to boat faster than that much anyway, and certainly too fast for safe water sports. When I read results like yours, and reflect on our use last summer on our new 2017, it reinforces Sea or Ultra legs would have been a viable option for me, perhaps a better option in extending my boating season.

Congrulations on getting some very nice results with your new boat!!!

I have a different lake and my wife and I love driving long distances. My average speed since I purchased the boat tracked by my Simrad is about 29 MPH. I spend a lot of time in upper 30’s and mid-40’s. I love opening up the 300 Yamaha. I have put 2400 miles on my 2017 RCW since I took home in April of last year.

Hello All,

First off, thank you! I have been reviewing many posts on this forum in preparation for my new Bennington purchase. Below is our build sheet which was sent in on 2/26/18. We are hoping for a delivery prior to Memorial Day but the dealer didn't have an update as of yesterday. The only "add" we are doing is an extra post base up front. We are currently debating the installation of Ultra Legs at a $7,000 cost since we will be in a wet slip with no ability to put in a lift.

2018 Bennington 23SSBXP
Panel: Smokey Granite
Accent: Metallic Sorrel
Evinrude G2 150HO DPS
Porta Potti
In Floor Storage (3rd Tube)
Kicker KMC10
Striker 4 Graph
Swingback Stern Lighted Speakers
Stereo Remote Swingback
Heavy Duty Rub Rail
Privacy Option
Battery - Dual Switch
Stainless Dock Lights
Ski Tow Bar
SPS
Blackout
Pop Up Cleats
Reclining Helm Chair with Bolster
Mid-America PT22T Trailer

Just curious what type of performance you’ve seen out of this set up?

Just curious what type of performance you’ve seen out of this set up?

Hello. I think all that info should be in the entire thread. 36 mph top speed with just me in the boat. Would be about 41 without Ultra Legs. Very happy with the setup so far.

I thought it was a good time for a follow up with 2 months of ownership coming up. I am still working with dealer to get these things addressed soon. I wasn’t getting much help and had to eacalate to the GM.

Goods:
The structure of the boat seems to be built very well built. Overall, great quality.

The middle toon storage is a must have. You may be able to fit a Mini Cooper in there.

Overall, I do like the Etec G2. No issues except the smell every once in awhile. The torque is spectacular.

Bads:
The interior does get very hot in the sun. The blackout package gets very, very hot in the sun. :)

My Bimini top cover already separated at the zipper. I feel the cover is a bit too tight.

My radio harness has bad connections in the plastic plug under the helm and it loses power and audio at random times, many times every trip out.

I still get the “2 stroke smell” when the winds blows just right. I also still want to try a new prop to get in the ideal rpm zone, 5,400-5,800. I am at 5,200.

I am not happy with the basic Garmin graph that came with the boat. I didn’t realize it didn’t have a way to see lake maps. I had to buy a tablet and navionics.

The dealer failed to tell me the middle trailer bunk was on back order and I still don’t have it installed. I found out it was missing when I launched it the first time. It is also missing the “Bennington” stickers on the side, which I was promised.

I have a snap on the playpen cover that is 3” away from the snap on the boat. Poor QC there.

What tablet are you using with the Navionics and how is it doing. I am considering using a tablet and Navionics or the LakeMaster app instead of installing a 7 inch gps unit which will be 500 plus 150 for the good card. I only need the navigation for a couple months in the last part of summer and fall when they draw the lakes down.
Considering the ram mount for it along with there cup holder adapter.

What tablet are you using with the Navionics and how is it doing. I am considering using a tablet and Navionics or the LakeMaster app instead of installing a 7 inch gps unit which will be 500 plus 150 for the good card. I only need the navigation for a couple months in the last part of summer and fall when they draw the lakes down.
Considering the ram mount for it along with there cup holder adapter.

Here is what I am using and it works pretty good for the purpose.

Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7"; 8 GB Wifi... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AZ8ERHI?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Tablet Car Mount Holder, Linkstyle... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0753CY5XF?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Thank you. Luckily my mother in law was given a Samsung tablet when she upgraded phones. so that makes my mind up.

I thought it was a good time for a follow up with 2 months of ownership coming up. I am still working with dealer to get these things addressed soon. I wasn’t getting much help and had to eacalate to the GM.

Goods:
The structure of the boat seems to be built very well built. Overall, great quality.

The middle toon storage is a must have. You may be able to fit a Mini Cooper in there.

Overall, I do like the Etec G2. No issues except the smell every once in awhile. The torque is spectacular.

Bads:
The interior does get very hot in the sun. The blackout package gets very, very hot in the sun. :)

My Bimini top cover already separated at the zipper. I feel the cover is a bit too tight.

My radio harness has bad connections in the plastic plug under the helm and it loses power and audio at random times, many times every trip out.

I still get the “2 stroke smell” when the winds blows just right. I also still want to try a new prop to get in the ideal rpm zone, 5,400-5,800. I am at 5,200.

I am not happy with the basic Garmin graph that came with the boat. I didn’t realize it didn’t have a way to see lake maps. I had to buy a tablet and navionics.

The dealer failed to tell me the middle trailer bunk was on back order and I still don’t have it installed. I found out it was missing when I launched it the first time. It is also missing the “Bennington” stickers on the side, which I was promised.

I have a snap on the playpen cover that is 3” away from the snap on the boat. Poor QC there.

I now have a 15 pitch prop and get 5,750 rpm’s and 36.5mph

What prop do you have on there now? I sent all of my info to the guys at Prop Gods and they recommended a 15x15p Enertia.

Back