First Pontoon Boat

Poppy21

Reaction score
I just bought my first Pontoon boat and am really excited about getting out on the water. I found a used 2012 Bennington 20SL in mint condition for a very good price. The seats are in perfect condition, the 70 HP Yamaha only had 52 hours on it, and the pontoon were without any damage. I had just got rid of my Old wooden boat (32' 1940 Cypress Hull) due to it had seen it's last days. Decided I would get something with less maintenance and get rid of the blues. I have been surfing the Forum and have found out that I made a very good choice with the boat a bought. Hopefully we will learn to love the boat and maybe upgrade later when we find out what we will really want in a pontoon boat. After looking at so many options I'm sure my bank account will be dropping soon. First thing I have to do is paint my pontoons, add anodes and a depth finder. Lots more after that but I will be keeping it in the same slip my old boat was in so a good bottom job is a must. Anyone have a particular coating system that they recommend?

Congrats on the boat! Google Sharkhide.

I'm sorry I didn't see where you're going to have them bottom painted.....

Having the work done at the boat yard where I kept my wooden boat. They used to do the bottom job on it. They said they would use some type of Poly paint and then overlay with anti-fowling paint. The add anodes. (Magnesium)

Where do you boat?

Congratulations, as a long time boater you know what you wanted and got it! post some pics soon.

Welcome to the forum. You made a good choice buying a Bennington, it should give you years of good service. Post pictures!

Congratulations on your new Benny! Have a great remainder of the year boating with it. If you are willing, you might have gathered we’d all love to see pictures of your new boat. ;)

Madisonville,La

I was just in Madisonville! My best client was launching a new barge at the Arcosa shipyard. It was really cool because that yard had been shut down for 3 years, and this was the first barge to come out of it after reopening. Reopening put 175 people back to work in a community of 800. They stopped work so all employees could watch. I work for Frost Bank, and we were all proud of being a part of it!

I got to smash the champagne bottle!

Here's the video...

Last edited:
I was just in Madisonville! My best client was launching a new barge at the Arcosa shipyard. It was really cool because that yard had been shutdown for 3 years, and this was the first barge to come out of it after reopening. Reopening put 175 people back to work in a community of 800. They stopped work so all employees could watch. I work for Frost Bank, and we were all proud of being a part of it!

I got to smash the champagne bottle!

Here's the video...

That was really cool !

And in doing so you represented the Bennington community well!

I believe you want regular aluminum anodes so double check first.

I was just in Madisonville! My best client was launching a new barge at the Arcosa shipyard.

Very cool. But didn't ANYONE think to tie a dock line to that thing before launching? ;-)

Word of advice after telling you that you have a beautiful boat, watch that Bimini around that basketball goal. Always be aware of what’s overhead.

Back