First Time Boat Owner

Reaction score
Just ordered my first boat and feel I am in over my head. Bought the 2021 23' LSBA with the Yamaha SHO 250. Got the Black with Silver accent stripe as well as the blackout package. Any advice? Did I over do it or under do it? Considered the Bowrider but given the unknowns and the added cost, I went with traditional.

Should I take a boating safety course given I am a novice?

I would definitely take a safety course. It will give you a good base knowledge. Do you have any friends who own boats or have been boating for some time? Invite someone with more boating knowledge to come out with you.

A safety course wouldn’t hurt...I would agree, take someone out that has boating experience with you the first time. You will learn some of the unwritten rules of boating with someone that has experience. Plus it will take the edge off of things especially at the ramp as that is already a stressful experience.

I don’t know how things have been around your part of the country but the boat ramps here have been getting a bit out of control. I swear I see verbal arguments between different parties every time I go out, (fortunately only one physical fight so far)...the patience for the amount of new boaters is almost nonexistent. Which is a significant change from even two years ago. Yet the funny thing is the experienced boaters will not jump in to help but rather throw slurs, it is just bonkers to me!

Another bit of advice, give people space. I am on a smaller body of water (4,500 acres) and i am shocked at the number of boats following other boats when there are tubers/skiers in the water.

Not trying to scare you or anybody, but the more knowledge you have about boating the more fun and safe it will be for both your family and and everyone else trying to enjoy the water.

Yes on the boat safety course and it is available online

Welcome Lake Murry SC! Post up some pictures of your new Benny. Sounds like you did just fine in terms of size and HP. One of the biggest things is knowing the rules of the "road" so to speak, because there are rules and ignorance of same will get you nasty stares or perhaps hurt. As has been suggested above, take the boater safety course and you'll look like a pro and be a lot safer. You're in for a fantastic summer...

I consider the Boater Safety Course - A MUST! The dealer should take you out a couple of times, at least until you become familiar with the boat. Then progress to having a knowledgeable boater with you. Don’t go on night excursions until you become familiar with your lake. It’s easy to get lost at night, all those fingers on Lake Murray look the same at night. Just saying.

Take the boater safety course as close to your first time out as possible so you will have retained most of what you learned. It's a great idea to take it every year just before boating begins to refresh your knowledge. Plus, I don't know about Dealers taking you out to give you "training". They have other things to do. But definitely go out with experienced boaters a couple times if you can.

I found this thread helpful as I’m new to boating (having my own) too. Still have to get my full list of things I need together.

Definitely take the boating course, I demanded my wife and son take it also. My first time out was last summer and we learned a lot . My advise is take your boat out when it’s less busy like Tuesday through Thursday. If you’re in a marina, take it slow but you will have a tendency to go too slow and the boat will not steer well if you’re going too slow. I found that just under a 1000 rpms was the sweet spot for being able to steer well but going slow enough to correct if you make mistakes, which you will. Practice maneuverability while you’re out in a lonesome part of the lake, getting used to reverse, stopping the boat etc. Absolutely give other boats a wide berth and watch both sides and behind you when you’re under way, there are a lot of inexperienced boaters out there and a lot of speed demons. Practicing anchoring ( a lot of good YouTube videos on this) and give yourself some good room when dropping your anchor. Always make sure you have plenty of gas as you’re on a large lake and set a waypoint on your Garmin for your marina or boat ramp as you can navigate to your “home” waypoint if you get lost. Lastly, but most importantly is check your weather for the day and your radar on your phone to check for storms, we got caught in a doozy and it was not fun for a newbie. In no time you will start to feel comfortable but always remember to respect Mother Nature and respect the lake and you will have a blast!

All good information. My dealer has offered to take us out when the boat arrives. There is also a local gentleman (he works for Sea Tow part time) that will give "boating lessons." I just want to make sure that we boat safely and I am not the person causing the experienced boaters to get frustrated and angry because I did something I shouldn't be doing. I also don't want to damage the boat.

All good information. My dealer has offered to take us out when the boat arrives. There is also a local gentleman (he works for Sea Tow part time) that will give "boating lessons." I just want to make sure that we boat safely and I am not the person causing the experienced boaters to get frustrated and angry because I did something I shouldn't be doing. I also don't want to damage the boat.
I hear ya, but just remember that you can’t learn everything right off the bat, go slow and enjoy the heck out of the journey!

Such great advice above, and it sounds like you also have some additional great local options for further assistance as a new boater. I don’t think you over did it with your boat at all. When financially able, getting your last boat first is best. Sounds like you did that. Congratulations. Looking forward to pictures of your new Bennington when it comes in if you care to share them here. Enjoy the journey ahead. You just invested in fun times and a great life style.

Last edited:
I will share some pictures when I get the boat. I was told that it would probably be the end of May or early June before I receive it. I will also take a boating class with the wife so I can become as knowledgeable and safe as possible. Wife is an ICU nurse and we just somewhat decided to buy a boat since we have basically been on lockdown due to her daily exposure to COVID. Could have picked up a less expensive hobby but it sounds like it could become a way of life after reading these forums.

There's a veteran member on this forum named Sunedog. He's lived on Lake Murray for 20+ years. I'm sure if you need any advice or direction he could help you. My wife and I stopped in to Lake Murray last year to check it out on the way to the beach. Beautiful lake! Had lunch and listened to live music at the Rusty Anchor/ Catfish Johnny's. Love it!

There's a veteran member on this forum named Sunedog. He's lived on Lake Murray for 20+ years. I'm sure if you need any advice or direction he could help you. My wife and I stopped in to Lake Murray last year to check it out on the way to the beach. Beautiful lake! Had lunch and listened to live music at the Rusty Anchor/ Catfish Johnny's. Love it!
Yes, of course. I live in the White Rock area near Lighthouse Marina / Rusty Anchor. Let me know if there's anything I can help you with.

You will find a lot of Lake Murray folks on here - reach out and we can connect. We are across from Shoal Island, around the corner from Jake Knots bridge. Agree with the boater course suggestions above, and suggest learning the green bacon lights and buoys on the lake. Each green light has a different blinking sequence which helps when you are making your way back home at dusk/dark.

Thanks to all the locals for the quick response. Our home will be in the Clouds Creek area. Hopefully will receive the boat by the end of May but not holding my breath.

Should I take a boating safety course given I am a novice?
Probably should have just gone to Clemson :). We just closed on a place on Marion and bought sellers 22’. First pontoon ever.

safety course won’t hurt, but can’t beat experience. Luckily, lakes are, typically, more forgiving than the open ocean. Just take it slowly and go ahead and put the first scratch in her. Makes the rest a little easier to digest.
Good luck and enjoy in good health

Back