First Time on Lake Erie

Willes

Reaction score
Got my 2020 Bennington SX23 SPS out on Lake Erie this weekend. I was a little apprehensive to be out on a big lake. I only saw one other pontoon boat the whole day. I have to say the boat did really well. I cut through big chop without hardly any issue. Massive boats did create some serious waves, but we stayed close to shore just to be safe. Got a few nice comments from other boaters and one trade offer for an old SeaRay (haha). Trying to find a quiet place to anchor was really tough. Boat just bobbed up and down like crazy. Here’s mine and another boat I need for weekend’s like this.

Attachments

• 15C5C6D3-B5C5-439A-B74E-DD75DE6D73D7.jpeg
    15C5C6D3-B5C5-439A-B74E-DD75DE6D73D7.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 114
Glad you enjoyed the day. Where on Lake Erie

We launched at Fairport Harbor, and cruised both the grand river as well as Lake Erie. Had the obligatory lunch at pickle Bill’s.

You are more brave than me. We don’t have a trailer, so we’ll probably never boat anywhere other than our lake. However, if we do ever travel with it, I cannot imagine going on any of the Great Lakes. I find the proposition too intimidating. That said, I am sure it is a fun adventure, and certainly opens up fast stretchs for boating enjoyment.

Glad we have our larger lake, and if we ever wander, a lot of other great inland lakes to chose from around us.

I was definitely nervous. Had some guests with me and didn’t want to get anyone sick. Waves were mild for a big lake and it did make me wish I had a bigger lake boat for days like that. I’ll still stick to smaller inland lakes. Nice to know that the triple tube can hold its own though.

My bucket list is to take my tritoon down to the keys

Fun to be on one of the Great Lakes.

We are out on Lake Ontario almost every weekend. Unless the waves are too big we run our Bennington right up to the sand beach and spend the day on shore. Quiet and peaceful. If it's too rough to go ashore we will anchor out of any boat traffic and stay on the boat. On really nasty days we anchor in a protected area in North Sandy Pond.

On days when Lake O is like glass we have gone quite a few miles offshore just tooling around.

Fun to be on one of the Great Lakes.

We are out on Lake Ontario almost every weekend. Unless the waves are too big we run our Bennington right up to the sand beach and spend the day on shore. Quiet and peaceful. If it's too rough to go ashore we will anchor out of any boat traffic and stay on the boat. On really nasty days we anchor in a protected area in North Sandy Pond.

On days when Lake O is like glass we have gone quite a few miles offshore just tooling around.
Sounds awesome. We’re 35 minutes to Erie. But also just as close to some nice inland lakes.

You and I are enjoying the same water! Glad to see you here.

You and I are enjoying the same water! Glad to see you here.
I'll look for you at boater's beach. Might be able to squeak another time or two before we pull the boat in late September. We have a 2014 22SSLX with a 90 Yamaha and the 32" Ellipticals with lifting strakes. Navy blue with tan insert.

The first time out on a large body is for sure a little intimidating...

Our second Benny was a G23 w/SPS & Yam 200... I took it through the Ballard Locks in Seattle out into the Puget Sound... I almost talked myself out of it, and am really glad I didn't...

RbL9Is.jpg

Been there many times. I‘m sure that perspective would have been awesome.

I grew up on Lake Erie. You are a brave soul taking a pontoon boat out on that water. :)

Believe me. I thought twice, but honestly if the water is not too crazy and weather is good it’s really fun. I would never get too far from shore... you have to respect that lake!

I’m still too nervous to go in the Atlantic. I’ve heard horror stories with running through the inlet. Maybe one day

I’m still too nervous to go in the Atlantic. I’ve heard horror stories with running through the inlet. Maybe one day
Is your inlet like the "Haul over" one in Miami?

I'll look for you at boater's beach. Might be able to squeak another time or two before we pull the boat in late September. We have a 2014 22SSLX with a 90 Yamaha and the 32" Ellipticals with lifting strakes. Navy blue with tan insert.

Enjoy your off season. I put the boat and the Sea Doo up last weekend. We're closing camp a bit early this year so that the campground owner can do some heavy construction that will help in case of another high water event.

Interesting thread. So most of us feel our watercraft are limited in large water, yet we have had a Marine take a Tritoon and completed the Great loop out of Missouri in a record time which requires some fairly large water and I just received an issue of Boating and the first article I read was for a Bennington 23 SCCTTX. This craft looks like it was made for open water. We just attended a wedding in Silver Bay on the North Shore of Lake Superior. The wind was blowing and all I could think of was that water was way to big for me to even dream of putting my craft on it. So my thought is, what are the limits of our watercraft?

Back