Fishing Rod Rack

Nice. This should be a Bennington option!! Looks factory.
I agree! Someone should put that on the Your Pontoon Ideas thread under Members-Only forum! If we could do that on our SFX fishing model it'd be great but the cover prevents it. Our prime use is for fishing so always have the maximum number of rods. When the kiddies come on the boat we're always telling them to be careful of the reels and watch for hooks, etc. If the rod holder option (especially in that nice steel look) were on the outside of the railing that'd be sweet! Thanks bcpnick for the awesome idea and for posting!

I added it to the Your Pontoon Ideas thread with a link to this thread. I agree, it is an aspect that is really missing. At first I liked the twin 2-rod holders on the fishing station on my 22 SSX, but it only took a trip or two before I found out how terribly in the way they are there. Maybe you could figure out a way to rig one on the side of your boat where the cover isn't a problem? Now that I've done it and tried it, I might even consider mounting one right through the exterior finished metal if it was the right spot. Sounds scary just saying that though!

Oh, and when you said maximum number of rods, that got me thinking. This trip we're going on next week is going to be very fish-centric. Just 4 people on the boat but those racks will be loaded. One bait rod and one spin rod per person = 8 rods. I'm probably going to need to figure out a place for one or two more! 

Last edited by a moderator:
I just ordered that option on my boat, 4 rod holders. anyone know what bennington gives you when you order that option?

I just ordered that option on my boat, 4 rod holders. anyone know what bennington gives you when you order that option?
Yes, a two piece (top and bottom) plastic molded kit w/elastic per slot to hold in rods. Looks somewhat like this Taco style at Overton's but it's the same color as the plastic in our boat (brownish tan): http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Taco-Deluxe-Pontoon-Boat-Tackle-Rack&i=92551

We ordered it but have yet to install it. The dealer normally installs but we wanted to play around with places first so during the season experimented by velcro'ing the top piece to different sections of railing. Everywhere we tried we thought rods were kinda in the way. We have ultimately decided we are either going to fabricate a stainless steel L-bracket that will extend out from the outside/stern of the frame (just above the motor) to mount the kit to OR find something different like bcpnick has. (we'll probably put it above the motor no matter what)

(PS: we have an SFX fishing model w/no extended deck, your set up may not be like ours so, unlike us, you might have the perfect spot for it. If so, it does work as designed! Also, this is not to be confused with the four-rod holder feature that comes molded into the stern center fishing console on a fishing style model)

Hope this helped a little : )

We ordered it with our last boat, 22sslx. There was no useable place to install it. Dealer bought it back from us.Didn't reorder on the current boat.

Just a quick follow up on this in case anyone else does something similar. In my earlier post I mentioned that I installed one rubber stopper on each rack to keep the weight of the rods from torquing the rack. I just super glued it on. Well I ended up losing one of those and sure enough, it torqued the rack down. I think a friend knocked it out when he was wiping down back there. I went back and replaced it and added another on each side. In retrospect, that would be the better way to get it done. This is the original stopper. I now have one on each end of the rack. Very important piece to make this install work right. 

IMG_1073.JPG

Thanks for the update Nick.  I've got two that I'm going to install this weekend.  I was thinking of trying stainless hose clamps (auger style) vs screws.  I think I can get between the panel and the rail.  This would keep me from having to screw into the rail. If I had ones the right size, they might not look too bad.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to use these Taco rod racks.  On the 2350RSR, the radius of the rear fence is such that there is no flat area long enough to mount the rack (it is not as square as the GCW in pics above).  I would have to bend the rack about 3" to get it to curve around the fence.  I tried to bend, but these are just built to well to bend them.  I'd need a press.  Then I fear kinking the mount area.

I'm going to send them back to Amazon.    Unless someone wants them for what I paid.  $121 each - plus shipping to you.

Mark

Well, I was looking at different options and it seemed that a 3 pole version was going to be the only option unless I could get a 4 pole version to wrap around the fence.

Taco makes a 3 pole version.  I was going to return and get a couple of those until I realized they were exactly the same, just one holder less therefore shorter.  The 3 pole was only $6 cheaper, so I just cut the ones I have.

I had a large block of solid hard plastic.  I cut some square blocks to support the bottom of the rack.  I counter sunk the screw so it could be fastened to fence.  I only used 1 block vs 2 that Nick recommended.  Very solid mount.

I think they turned out great!

I suppose now that you cut it I probably shouldn't mention this, but why not mount it to the door?

Looks great !!

I suppose now that you cut it I probably shouldn't mention this, but why not mount it to the door?
I did look at that Dan.  It would have fit perfect.  I guess I wanted the freedom to swing the door with no interference issues.  With the rods in the door, it couldn't be opened with bimini in trailer position.  Also, just using the door with rods in it didn't appeal to me, so I decided to cut.

Good points. Just a thought.

Another option is available from v-lock.com if you did not want to drill into the rails. However, the taco version really looks like it was made for the Bennington.

Looks great!! I won’t take delivery of my new Bennington till early May but I will def get those! Why not put them on the front so they don’t interfere with boarding etc.. ? Just curious if it was preference or physical reason... thanks

Back