Flying lounger cushion

bcpnick

Nick
Reaction score
I'm sick of taking the back piece of my starboard lounger out every time I tow. Has anyone figured out some sort of tether to keep it from blowing out while trailering? I've put stuff on it to hold it down which works if I have the right stuff. I also tried a strap across the top of the loungers but that was a bad idea (left temporary marks on the vinyl). I'm thinking about maybe getting a little cable or something and screwing into the back of it, then down into the inside of the lounger. But then I thought maybe I should check and see if someone else has come up with something better. 

trailerable cover.

I was hoping for something with less zeros in the price. But I am thinking of having the canvas shop modify one of my existing covers into something tow-worthy if/when I go ahead with the new enclosure. 

We have the same concern. Especially after losing the lower rear bench cushion on the last boat that was even screwed down (wind vibrated the screws out of the hinges on a longer trip). Just received some industrial velcro which I plan to fasten to the new rear longer seat cushion and frame to keep it from sliding. Hopefully, the way ours is fastened, if it doesn't slide it won't go up. Thoughts?

I tried putting a cargo net over the top of the back. Seemed like a great idea until we stopped at the gas station about 40 miles from home. I feel very luck to still have a cushion. After that we stretched it all the way over the back and it stayed put. Need to find a better solution...

IMG_2025.JPG

IMG_2063.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting that you have that problem. I have the same lounger and have put 200+ miles on trailering without cover with no issue.

Idea. Could you put leather straps with snaps on the cushion to the boat to hold them down from picking up wind? My old Glastron had this issue and as soon as I did that it prevented the cushions from bouncing up too much and catching the wind. Not sure I have pics but will look again

I'm not sure I follow with the leather straps. Do you mean snap it into the bottom of the cushion and then also to the inside of the seat like a leash?

I was thinking about maybe trying double sided velcro. There is a good amount of flat space underneath and on the side of that piece. For some reason this didn't happen the first few times I towed this boat, but now it's gotten really bad. I could just take it off, but we often don't have room for it in the truck and then I'd have to put all the life jackets etc. I keep under there somewhere else. 

Also, on the back side of your cushion, do you have 2 L brackets or just one holding it down to the seat?  Mine is a pain to get back into place as it has 2 L brackets that hold it down.  I wonder if that was a change from 2013 to 2014? 

I don't think I have a picture of that to share.....

Interesting! That could work great. My cushion has exactly zero L brackets. Just two plain black plastic pieces that align it in the hole. I guess that's what they changed after 2013 to keep this from happening. 

My boat is at the dealer right now, but I can take pictures when I get it back (might be a month or so).  I guess as you describe "two plain black plastic pieces" could be the same as the L brackets I am referring too.  Do you have a pic of yours?  From my perspective, the brackets I have are a pain in the ass when on the water (too tough for most to get the cushion back into place) but they do make it so I haven't worried about it flying off in transit.

As far as the tabs, all I did is have some 8" straps created from someone that does cushion/leather work (my aunt in this case), with one snap on it.  I screwed it into the bottom of the cushion with a screw and made sure it was generally tight when the cushion was down for snap placement.  I had to replace them 1-2 times, but that is more from people that didn't unsnap it before they tried to lift the seat. 

What if you fastened a ring or rings to the underside of the cushion and fastened them to weights

Or anchor...

Yup. Or the weights could be left with when trailer if your worried about storage space.

Another thought. Might also be able to rig it with four rings on the floor inside the seat then criss cross two pull tight straps, first draping towels to protect the seats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup. Or the weights could be left with when trailer if your worried about storage space.

Another thought. Might also be able to rig it with four rings on the floor inside the seat then crisis cross two pull tight straps, first draping towels to protect the seats.
That is a really good idea.

I may do that with my cushion. I don't even need the rings since the seat base has a rotomolded frame piece in the center the strap can go around. Great idea Jared!

This is the bottom of my flying cushion. No L-brackets so it sounds like that must have been added after the 2013 year. It was too rainy to get it done this weekend, but my solution is going to be a dual leash setup. Eyelets drilled into bottom of the seat and leashes with mini carabiners attached to existing bolts on each side. That way I can clip it in while towing and then disconnect and let the leashes just fall in to seat compartment while out on the water for easier access. 

IMG_2145.JPG

I'd take pictures of mine if I actually had my boat from the dealer fixing warranty stuff.....  getting eager for it!!

Those definitely look different than mine do if I recall

My 14 is the same as in your pic

This is the bottom of my flying cushion. No L-brackets so it sounds like that must have been added after the 2013 year. It was too rainy to get it done this weekend, but my solution is going to be a dual leash setup. Eyelets drilled into bottom of the seat and leashes with mini carabiners attached to existing bolts on each side. That way I can clip it in while towing and then disconnect and let the leashes just fall in to seat compartment while out on the water for easier access. 

IMG_2145.JPG

This is what I ended up installing to keep the cushion from flying out. A D-ring in the floor and one on the back of the seat cushion with a nylon strap in between. Leaves enough slack that you can open and close the other side. I'll leave it attached like that for trailering and then just remove the strap while we're out on the water. I suppose a bungee cord could have worked just as well, but I like the peace of mind from the nylon strap. 

IMG_2154.JPG

IMG_2155.JPG

Back