Fogging Gauge

Grasshopper

Reaction score
My gas/trim gauge fogs up. Have had the dealer look at it several times but they say that since it intermittently clears that they won’t replace it. It’s exceedingly annoying so should I continue to push the dealer or just go straight to corporate?

Attachments

• upload_2019-7-11_10-17-45.jpeg
    upload_2019-7-11_10-17-45.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 27
  • BD82BD97-241A-4F7B-94E8-65300A1CD76A.jpeg
    BD82BD97-241A-4F7B-94E8-65300A1CD76A.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 28
  • E109F462-5069-46CF-8837-FE0FB47B414E.jpeg
    E109F462-5069-46CF-8837-FE0FB47B414E.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 26
My gas/trim gauge fogs up. Have had the dealer look at it several times but they say that since it intermittently clears that they won’t replace it. It’s exceedingly annoying so should I continue to push the dealer or just go straight to corporate?

Are you still under warranty? If so, I am on board with pushing the dealer, and potentially elevating it past them to Bennington if necessary. Obviously its seal is broken. That fact that it sometimes “clears up” doesn’t change that the seal is broken, and it sometimes fogs up. Humidity level leading to fogging shouldn’t determine them handling that warranty issue. The broken seal and foggy gauge should be enough in and off itself. Again, assuming your boat is still under warranty, I don’t even understand why the dealership wouldn’t want to get it taken care off. They get warrant work business AND they get a happier customer.

Doesn’t make sense then. “No, we don’t want business” is typically not most dealerships motto. LOL. If they are stubborn about it, and no other Benny dealer is practical nearby, I’d look into escalating to Bennington directly. I do so by asking the dealer for Bennington’s contact information, so they KNOW you are moving past them to Bennington directly. Dealers and manufacturers like to have good relationships. They might be more flexible knowing you are escalating it. All of that said, hopefully they just reconsider. Opposition on this one seems silly assuming there is no evidence of damage. Good luck.

Depending on the humidity ,my fuel gauge also fogs up .Clears up in a few minutes in the sun

It’s common and won’t be fixed. I had multiple gauges do this and its typical of these gauges in high humidity. The sun heats it up and it disappears, then returns overnight. It’s not a defect and normally won’t be treated as such.

Also if I recall correctly, it’s not a “sealed” unit. There’s a small vent hole in the back just for this purpose.

No issue if it cleared within a few minutes but some days it just stays fogged. I’ll look to see if the vent hole is not clogged.

No issue if it cleared within a few minutes but some days it just stays fogged. I’ll look to see if the vent hole is not clogged.

Mine will too unless it’s in sun for an hour or so ... if overcast it stays fogged. I’m used to it. Had last B replaced twice till they told me it’s the way it is. I researched “others” and found same things so I figured dealer was telling the truth.

Mine does this as well but I've known any replacement would do the same so I live with it.

This is why I paid extra for Digital gauges as I was tired of the fogging issue. No fogging with this.IMG_0110.JPG

Last edited:
This is way I paid extra for Digital gauges as I was tired of the fogging issue. No fogging with this.

On my previous Benny the analog gauges fogged. The dealer told me that was the nature of the gauges. On my current boat I went with the digital gauges and as Ray states, no fogging issue. Not to mention you get so much more information with the digital gauges and they are customizable.

I guess i’ve been lucky, but since I have digital gauges too, it really wouldn’t impact me. I am surprised though that they simply wouldn’t be vacuum sealed gauges given the environments they’ll operate in. Shocked really.

Oh well, learn something new every day. Ignore my post above.

Actually, my previous boat was a Four Winns which featured Faria fog resistant gauges. Nary a problem in ten years. That said, I also haven't had a problem with the gauges on my Benny. Fingers crossed...

FWIW, I had the same issue with the same gauge. My dealer finally replaced it but the new one does the same thing, as he said it would! Something about it being the outboard most gauge and closest to the water was his theory.

mine did the same. they replaced them for me but said it's a 1 time replacement

Mine do the same, they clear up after a short time. Soo I haven’t pursued it.

Back