Foggy Gauges

BobZ

Reaction score
I have a 2008 2275RL w/ Yamaha 150 4-stroke. I have 2 gauge problems. One is fog in a gauge (just started this year) and the other is the trim indicator gauge (it doesn't indicate). Trim gauge worked fine until boat was stored for the winter. Didn't work 1st time out this year. Any suggestions?

As for the fogged up gauges they should dry if the cover is left off for a few days, The trim gauge could be a broken trim sensor lever. If you look at the pivot shaft of the engine you will see a sensor witha lever and on the shaft there is a hose clamp type that has an arm on it whch pushes against the arm of the sensor mounted on the moter, Yamaha had used a plastic lever clamped to the shaft which tended to break, they have an updated metal version that replaces the plastic one, Looks kind of like a hose clamp. Mine broke the first year I had the boat and it was covered under warranty.It is possible that it could have even just came loose and slipped on the shaft. There is a single screw that thightens it to the shaft that is used to set how you want the gauge to read as well. you can move the sensor lever by hand and have someone watch the gauge to see if it moves.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for the fogged up gauges they should dry if the cover is left off for a few days, The trim gauge could be a broken trim sensor lever. If you look at the pivot shaft of the engine you will see a sensor witha lever and on the shaft there is a hose clamp type that has an arm on it whch pushes against the arm of the sensor mounted on the moter, Yamaha had used a plastic lever clamped to the shaft which tended to break, they have an updated metal version that replaces the plastic one, Looks kind of like a hose clamp. Mine broke the first year I had the boat and it was covered under warranty.It is possible that it could have even just came loose and slipped on the shaft. There is a single screw that thightens it to the shaft that is used to set how you want the gauge to read as well. you can move the sensor lever by hand and have someone watch the gauge to see if it moves.
I'll check the switch. I just found it strange that it was working fine when it was put up for the winter and didn't work when put in the water in the spring. Thanks.

Back