For those of you with rear facing lounger models

Nautical

Reaction score
I wasn't crazy about the floor plan on my former boat - 2375 RLCP.  I did like the L shaped area to my left, wrapping around behind me.  It made for a very social "pit" area, even while underway.  I love the look of the RCW line.  I love the way they taper down the side walls to the rear and the seats look very inviting.  The thing is, the type of guests I find on my boat (I don't "find" them there, I usually "invite" them but you know what I mean) don't seem like the type who'll run back there and hop in.  Some will I'm sure but the majority will end up sitting up front and I know from reading here that few captains like a boatload of people in front of them with nobody behind them. 

When I was selling my boat, my sales skills (as a broke, real estate agent) had me talking people out of that floor plan when they said they weren't crazy about mine.  I would tell them that 40 percent of the boat is dedicated to two people who are now isolated from the rest.  I also told them they were being tricked by those brochures that showed bikini clad models back there all of the time.  I told them in reality they wouldn't be bikini clad nor would they be models. 

Then after my boat was gone started to LIKE the design.  It looks awesome and as I said above the seats look very inviting.  Then I started thinking about it again and even involved the Admiral.  We discussed our typical, fully dressed, non-model passenger manifestos of the past (no offense meant if some of you are reading this - I mean Suzi is a model but never wore a bikini - I'm just saying . . .) and how we much preferred to have everyone in a more social environment.  If there are two warring groups, there is still the bow area which will always be separate from the stern area.  I like the way Manitou did theirs . . . each one of their rear facing loungers converts to a 2 person booth.  The only thing I don't like about their otherwise excellent execution of that is how the rear facing person cannot prop up the seatback and is forced to sit back in a now awkward semi lounge position.  As full blown loungers they're a little less comfortable too, much like how a convertible sofa makes a lousy sofa and an even worse bed.

I was wrong when trying to imagine how my former boat would be used.  I pictured everyone fighting for those two forward port side captain's chairs but nobody seemed to care one way or the other.  They were never the first to go.  On the contrary, when I asked people to shift over for proper weight distribution, they seemed a little annoyed.  To make matters even worse, Bennington decided to put a warning (disclaimer) sticker next to the seats saying they were not supposed to be used while underway!!  Maybe if they put a loveseat there it would have seen more use.

So for those of you who have the ever so popular and awesome looking rear facing lounger floor plan, am I over analyzing this like I did on my old boat?  How have your experiences been?  No need to reply if you are lucky enough to always have the bikini clad models back there.

Thanks!

Holly crap! You're looking for another boat?

As I said . . . topic for another thread but yes, I don't like that Chappy I just bought.  It rides way rougher than I expected it to and it's very loud.  I also saw the look on your face . . .  you were wondering why I sold the nice boat I had for that, weren't you!  I made yet another mistake and I'm trying to fix it yet again.  We took it out on a busy Sunday and I thought I was on my jet ski.  I barely noticed weekend chop on the Benny but the 2 foot waves seemed very uncomfortable on the I/O.  Maybe it's because my normal cruise is much faster now?  Either way, I'm not thrilled with it. 

If we're stuck with it for a couple of years, so be it, but if I can get out of it clean on the momentum left in this season . . .  I'm going to try.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you checked out the RSW (swingback) model? Kind of the best of both worlds. My dealer has one and if my budget allowed it, we'd own it. I want a GCW or RCW also and have been looking. Our dealer just sold a GCW "consigned" one in a week. I lost out on a good deal ....  :angry:

Have you checked out the RSW (swingback) model? Kind of the best of both worlds. My dealer has one and if my budget allowed it, we'd own it. I want a GCW or RCW also and have been looking. Our dealer just sold a GCW "consigned" one in a week. I lost out on a good deal ....  :angry:

I looked at the swingback but it is expensive. This is what we got instead. 2017 Explorer Sport.

large.IMG_0414.JPG.641ddbb914f711cc68f34bd8fa3be863.JPG

We have the 2275RCW, as the 2375 wasn't available yet in '13. As it turns out, it works better for us with the short lounger to port, which my wife really likes vs a captain's chair. We never use the port gate, so usually insert the extra bow seat there as well. This gives a full lounger all along the port side from the back of the rear lounger to the bow. If we have a few more people it tends to force them to that side, so the boat is balanced and the captain is happy. It's usually just the 2 of us, so the loungers work out perfect when we're floating or beached. Even when we have our 2 adult daughters, 2 grandkids here, the loungers are the first to go. Everyone else often sits in that center section "pit". In our situation it all works pretty well. If you consistently had 6+ very social people (we don't), maybe not so much.

BTW, completely agree on the Manitou split seat implementation. We tried it more than once and didn't like it all, as it's just trying to do too much.

We have the double rear longer on ours and it does get used. Sometimes we'll just go down and sit back there while the boat is on the lift. I was on a buddies glass boat the other day and wow the ride beats you up compared to the toon! 

We use our double lounger all the time.  Wouldn't want to have a boat without it.  Don't over-think it.  What do you and your wife enjoying the most?  We go about 3-4 miles offshore into the Gulf, align the boat to enjoy a beautiful sunset.  We drop two anchors, sit back there together, and watch the world go by.

Life is good my friend

Nautical 

We have the SCWX and have the recliner rear facing chairs. We do a lot of water sports so the recliners are always occupied. The fact they can be upright or reclined is a must. We looked at the loungers and my wife didn't like the fact you were always reclined. I think you have to really look at what you do with a boat and decide what the main activity you will use it for,  and pick the floor plan that meets you're needs best. That's what is so cool about having a ton of options and styles to choose from. Good Luck

Could not find any RSW anything on their site.  At least not in the 23 to 25 foot range.  Did you mean the RSB where the double wide rear facing bench has the back rest that angles rearward to make a forward facing bench in the "pit?"  If so, yes, that is a contender.  That one can even be ordered with a windshield.  :wub:

We have the rear facing recliner chairs as well. We find that its a race to see who can get to them first. Of course the wife has dibbs on one at all times. She loves to hang out back there with one of her friends. The kids also love the seats and they come in very handy while doing water sports.Capture5.JPGCapture4.JPG/monthly_2016_05/large.20160524_101705.jpg.187bad028a61e16844983724c3dd4595.jpg

Hey Glenn.....

Which seats on your old boat were you not supposed to use while underway?!? The Captains chairs? Why?

You still considering a Manitou?!?

I looked at the swingback but it is expensive. This is what we got instead. 2017 Explorer Sport.

Very nice Carl! You coming to get my trailer w/it?!? Ha!

Actually yes, and what size ball. I have to do a cv boot on the Audi today but now that the backsplash is done I have time,

Could not find any RSW anything on their site.  At least not in the 23 to 25 foot range.  Did you mean the RSB where the double wide rear facing bench has the back rest that angles rearward to make a forward facing bench in the "pit?"  If so, yes, that is a contender.  That one can even be ordered with a windshield.  :wub:

Yeah, typo, sorry .... RSB ... :wub:

If I were to do it over again...and I will. I'll be looking hard at the RSB & GSR. But if I would go with the GSR I'd want the bench seat as the co-capyains lounge like I had in my GCW. With my GCW seemed like everyone that sat back there turned to talk while underway. And almost everytime somone turned the stereo volume ALL the way up.

R23-Swingback-Fastback-Pontoon-Boats-750x520.jpg

22-Foot-Pontoon-Boats-G22-2016-750x520.jpg

I highly recommend getting everything you want on your next boat, why settle?  You can't take it with you, enjoy, live with no regrets!  Keep your eyes open, some dealer somewhere will have it the way you want it.

BTW: the aft section is everyone's favorite, we usually have 3-4 people and a dog on it.  My only issue is sometimes switching the seat back from forward to back, I can't unlock it by lifting and shifting to the port side, after a few of us keep trying it has always eventually released.

My last vessel was a Chaparral, we loved it - held it's value very well, but don't miss it now, our 2575 RSB is perfect for us.

I don't think you are over analyzing it, it's a ton of $$, so you want to get it right, I get it- I've been in the same situation since February and still haven't pulled the trigger. I too like the rcw and the rsb, here are my considerations that might help in your decision:

- I want a full windshield - both models accommodate this. But a full windshield takes away a lot of bench seating on the passenger side. 

- you can't legally ride in the back of the rsb as shown in the picture above, you need to purchase  a safety bar if u want to do so. Without the bar- that seems like way too much wasted real estate to not ride while underway- especially with water sports and especially with a windshield taking away seating across from the captain. With the bar -I feel it ruins the open feel and accessibility the model was geared towards. IMO- Bennington dropped the ball on this design. 

- an rsr with windshield would be a great layout. You can treat the back horseshoe area as 2 loungers for just 2 people or as a social area for more. Better yet, they are releasing a windshield version of this model in 2017. 

I believe the 2017 rsr fasback windscreen will be my choice once I lay eyes on it. 

Yes a windscreen is something we want in the next boat but we're not going to make it a deal breaker.  The Admiral said as long as I'm not full throttle everywhere we go, she can live without it.

Someone asked about the 2275 RLCP chair restriction . . . yes, the forward, port side, two captains chairs actually have a sticker nearby that says they are not to be used while underway.  Completely ridiculous and ignorable restriction, no doubt a Bennington CYA disclaimer but it's there nonetheless.  I cannot imagine anyone in any other type of seat being any safer in any scenario of bad stuff so it makes no sense to me but then again the list of thing that make no sense to me would take up way too much bandwith.   

BeezyB, I was thinking that very thing about the RSB in the rear lounge mode while underway and I'm not surprised that it's an issue.  That one I'll give them as it appears to be somewhat unsafe to power up with someone sitting there with that bar so low. 

I've got to agree with others, that you need to look at the way you use your boat. With that being said. We absolutely love our 2550 RCW. But we have the closed stern rails on our boat. With that style,the rails have the padded upholstery completely around the rail to the rear gate. So the two recliners actually accommodate 4-6 people. Both my wife and I agreed that having the open rails back there just didn't work for us. Best of all,the rear recliners are so nice for laying together looking at the late night stars. 

Back