Forward Bimini Advice Needed

WoodenPontoon

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have recently ordered a new 8' long "forward" bimini frame and the fabric to make a cover for it. I can't decide if I should have the forward bimini fold forward or backwards on the boat. Most of the forward biminis that I have seen fold forward (at least while in the "radar" position). I am concerned that a forward-facing bimini on trailering struts, would be terribly bad on gas. Whereas a rear-facing design would be potentially more aerodynamic.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

WoodenPontoon,

We have the front bimini and only leave it in the up position when we are on the water (sometime deployed, sometimes stowed-rolled up). I think it looks better when it folds forward. When we trailer our 2012 Bennington 22 SSI I lower both the front & back bimini and secure both of them with a strap. Both bimini lay flat against the side rails, It's safer and has less wind drag.

RiverBill

The only bad thing about having it fold backwards is that then you have no choice but to always have it up when using the boat. Well unless your passengers are feeling up to an extreme limbo competition!! I guess you could put it in the radar position while underway, but the limbo comp sounds way more fun!! As for trailer drag/wind resistance, I don't think it would make much difference either way. Actually, in the forward position might help do its part in deflecting bugs from hitting the seats!

Where did you get the frame and fabric for your front bimini? Ours blew off while towing home and completely destroyed.

Where did you get the frame and fabric for your front bimini? Ours blew off while towing home and completely destroyed.
You have to order through a dealer.

WoodenPontoon,

We have the front bimini and only leave it in the up position when we are on the water (sometime deployed, sometimes stowed-rolled up). I think it looks better when it folds forward. When we trailer our 2012 Bennington 22 SSI I lower both the front & back bimini and secure both of them with a strap. Both bimini lay flat against the side rails, It's safer and has less wind drag.

RiverBill
I just posted a topic questing how to secure the front bimini for trailering.  I had an issue when laying it flat and did have the straps on, but that does not secure it from rising in wind. I can't seem to lock the front one in the lower position either, but I am a new owner and just haven't learned.  Is there a place I can see a close up picture of bimini position options or a video on this?

Back