Found the Bennie I want but .....

JasonLepore

Reaction score
We found the Bennie that we wanted and the Marina has it in stock,, but their are 2 boat shows coming up and we are wondering if we should take this one or shop around at the shows with the risk of this one selling on us .... They are saying if we order new that we won't get it until may,, not sure if it's a sales speech to get this one or not ... I really like this one but if we can get others options at a better price who wouldn't want that....then again if we can't beat this deal and it sells.. I screwed myself ,,, the show is in 10 days

Last edited by a moderator:
We found the Bennie that we wanted and the Marina has it in stock
If it's truely the one you want, see if the marina will honor a "boat show special" price. Can't hurt to ask. If you wait and miss out on that boat, others will appear. Worst case, make a factory order; is a May delivery really an issue for you?

Last year there were substantial delays in the spring per comments others have made on this board. I recall some people posting they were getting their boats quite a bit later than originally scheduled. So, it is actually possible that if your dealer said May, it could actually be June!!!

We picked up our boat in September. The dealer already had placed the order for our boat before we even talked with him the first time, and it was delivered exactly as scheduled, but again, that was in the fall.

I'd expect spring delays. Sounds reasonable that your dealer is being realistic with you. How does he treat you on other questions you ask? Is he slippery? Does he check on things and get back to you, or conveniently forget? Have you caught him telling ANY white lies at all? I did. I switched dealers. It was the best move I made. The second dealer was straight up honest with me. And I got a better deal. First guy was a used car salesman. Turned me off, and he lost a sale. They STILL have the boat I was looking at on their website.

What you could do, though, is tell him you'll just order a new one unless he can give you a great incentive to buy the one in stock, see what happens. Especially if the in-stock is a 2011. My 2 cents.

Good luck.

Bird in the hand...

Ask yourself this: "Is this boat a close enough match for everything I want that if I bought this boat and then found something even more desirable at the boat show that I lost out on, could I put that aside and still get full enjoyment out of THIS boat?"

I agree with all that's mentioned above and here is what worked for me. Once I found the boat that I was confident had everything I wanted I struck up a deal with my dealer. Per an agreement I sent him a non refundable deposit of $500.00 and in turn he would hold the boat for 2 weeks. Those two weeks gave me enough time to search a few other dealers and see if I found something else I couldn't live without. In my opinion losing $500.00 is nothing if it saves you from a mistake not to mention you may even save that $500.00 on another deal. I'm sure this isn't for everyone but it bought me some time and kept me from being pressured into making a decision I might regret. For me the worst thing to do is buy something then to continue looking at what else you could've had. If it's the boat that has everything you want then I wouldn't let it pass you by. The boat I put the deposit down on is the boat I went with and I have no regrets to this day. Best of luck in your decision!!

One other thing, I do not attend boat shows because their good for pulling you into that new boat mind set. ;)

I do not attend boat shows because their good for pulling you into that new boat mind set. ;)
You say that like it's a bad thing. :huh: ;)

The Boat show we wanted to go to, Especially that we are Buying New... I figured a Pontoon boat you can always use forever, won't outgrow it or have no use later..If anything I just get another boat later on... I also did not want to go Used..Just thinking if I get a boat 2-3 years old, there is a good chance someone is selling it because of the money issues, and if they could not get enough money to pay for it, they most likely did not keep up with the maintenance. I know there are some people who just don't use them and thats why but to me it is not like a car, where if you break down you can just pull over...With the boat you can really get $%^&*(!!!! My fiance has her point of it being a Depreciating asset, but I say what price can you put on the Family trips and the fun we can have with it over the years... Going new some of the things this boat did not have were the Center Tube Storage, Tow Bar, Snap in Carpet,,,,but I figured since it is Vinyl we can add the snap in carpet later, and for now just get a Tow Harness with the float....Center Storage I just cant add.... We almost got a Bennington last summer with the 2 elliptical Tubes, but held out, and I am kind of glad because this one is a Full Length TriToon, with Lifting Strakes on the Center tube and Wave Shield...We did not go and see it in person, but the Color is the Regatta Blue, I did not like that color with the Build your Own site, but did like it seeing it on regular pictures with it.... My Biggest problem is that I hate waiting for things... I want to get it in April, can't see having to wait til May, June,or July... Don't want to lose the time on it out there...aaahhhh Decisions Decisions....

Man, you got the boat fever bad. The regatta blue on the site just doesn't do it justice. It is simple gorgeous in real life. Of course I'm a little bias but I get a lot of compliments on my toon. With the tan interior, it's a match made in heaven. Best of luck with your decision.

I need to agree with Gaston. We chose the Regatta Blue because it is absolutely beautiful in real life.

Thank You... Now I better not see all of your names above at the Marina I am getting the boat..... Feel like I am getting Suckered in by Sales people..lol... Just kidding,,,,Thanks for your Opinions and Advice....( As long as you don't work there..lol)

Just got back from a boat show today. Our boat was there, but a different dealer was showing it than the one we bought from. Anyway, their "boat show special price" was around $4500 more (after adjusting for minor differences) than we paid for a very similar boat in September (both were 2012 models, 24SSL).

I'm not at all convinced "boat show prices" are anything special. Still room to negotiate.

I need to agree with Gaston. We chose the Regatta Blue because it is absolutely beautiful in real life.
I agree with you both as I'm glad I chose the Regatta Blue. However I am partial to the Sport graphics. ;)

You say that like it's a bad thing. :huh: ;)
It is a bad thing when you are 100% happy with your boat. Honestly I'm afraid I'll find something I like better as I'm hard to satisfy, so the better half says. :lol:

It is a bad thing when you are 100% happy with your boat. Honestly I'm afraid I'll find something I like better as I'm hard to satisfy, so the better half says. :lol:
Back in '86 I was going through something called the Ranger Indoctrination Program as part of my assignment to the 3/75. I remember taking a rest, leaning up against one of those old WW2 barracks they were still using and one of my buddies commented that we were engaged in a useless exercise; like Sisyphus.

Naturally, I had to ask what he meant since anyone who can drop Sisyphus into an everyday conversation like that might just have something to say that was worth listening to.

It went something like this:

"Well, we went to Jump School, so now we're Paratroopers, right? Only the Rangers just laugh at us and call us little girly-men. So we come down here and go through all this crap just so they'll let us go to the Battalion and MAYBE someday go to Ranger School. Then we'll do that, and right about the time we're sewing that Flash on our Berets we'll spot some Green Beenie sitting in the corner and snickering at us. So what do we do? Re-up for SOC, head over to Bragg and start busting our butts so they'll let us go to the Q course, at which point we'll run into some SEAL on TOD who will pat us on the head and ask us what we want to be when we grow up. So what do we do then? Get out of the Army, enlist in the Navy and if we're REALLY lucky manage to get into BUDS, not Ring the Bell and on Graduation Day some guy from SF Detachment D hands us his card and says; "When you're ready to be REAL men, come and see me." And say we do that? What's going to happen when we run into someone from the SAS? Or Mossad? It's a rat race, I'm telling you. We should'a stayed Grunts."

So I look at him and say; "I'm a Forward Observer. I'm ALREADY more Bad*** than all of those guys put together. I'm just here 'cause RIP has the best chow-hall on Post.

It ain't about having what you WANT, it's about wanting what you HAVE.

Back