"Free backing" surge brakes

So I noticed the other day I have a trailer brake leaking on my trailer. Although we are on our third season with it, it has less than 400 miles on it. I have not torn it down but it appears to be from the cylinder in the drum, probably a seal but my question is, do any of you have "free backing" drums for your surge trailer? Currently I have to get out and flip a little lever on the tongue of the trailer before backing which is a pain in the butt. I was thinking instead of replacing the cylinder I would just upgrade so I don't have to do a Chinese fire drill every time I back up at the ramp. So do these work?

Thanks,

Andy

Trailer lights. I do this every time before I back into the water. So hypothetically unplugging this would render the solenoid useless.

Lakeliving if you are unplugging the lights before backing in anyway why don't you just flip the "free backing" lever on your surge brakes right after you unplug the lights and have at it.  No lights to short out and no brakes to deal with in reverse and the only thing you're going to need to replace on your current setup is a leaking wheel cylinder and maybe clean up the shoes with some brake clean.

When we used to trailer every weekend I always unplugged the lights before backing in.  Did I have to.....probably not.  I didn't want to have a problem with a blown bulb or possibly a fuse in the trailering circuit on my truck either should something short out while being dunked.   There's a pic of our old cuddy cabin.....was great on fuel but tough on props when running in a shallow lake (indian lake is average 4-5 foot deep in most places).

100_0236.jpg

I actually opened it up and took a look and could not find any leaking so I'm a little baffled. It's not such an issue flipping the lever at the ramp but more so at the house. When I take it out of the water I have to do a 3 point turn to get it in. Maybe I'll just leave it in the backing position once I get to the house.

Thanks for all responses guys.  

Pretty sure my brakes only lock up in reverse when backing UP hill.  Sorry, I don't remember why this is.  Probably because it's similar to hitting the brakes while going forward.  You are a putting a forward force on the cylinder in either case (backing uphill, or going forward and applying the brakes).  Mine do not lock up backing down a ramp.

They did once though.  A couple years ago.  I had to replace the entire coupler.  It was under warranty, and the company that made it just sent me a new one.  Only couple bolts to take it off/on.  And the brake line (and bleeding).  Works fine now.

Last edited by a moderator:
On my bowrider trailer if I wanted to back up uphill I had to put a screwdriver into the coupler to prevent it from moving to prevent the brakes from applying...... 

Just read this thread. Chances are you have a UFP (Unique Functional Products) surge brake actuator. You should be able to tie in a reverse brake solenoid, keys off your energized reverse lights and blocks the flow of fluid to your calipers.

I've never unplugged, either. They are on a boat trailer. I'm pretty sure they built them to get dunked.

Back