Fresh water pump

JOwen72

Reaction score
Our 2250GBR has a little on board sink. There is about a 5-10 gallon fresh water tank under one of the seats, with a 12v pump. I don't like the fresh water tank, there is no way to drain it and if I forget to fill it, we can't use the sink. So I'd like to mount a pump on the back of the 'toon so we can just use lake water, there is a square bracket there that I assume is there for that reason. Has anyone done this, or is there place to purchase a pump like that? Or has anyone added a water pump back there and willing to share pictures?

No need to mount a pump in the water. You can mount a Surflo pump (used in RV's) in an out of the way location onboard and run a hose from the pump into the water. Lot's of different configurations if you want permanent or set up as needed. These pumps are on demand so you can turn it on and it will work with the faucet in your sink.
Where do these on board sinks drain? Do they have a holding tank or drain into the lake?

You can buy these pumps on Amazon or at Camping World.

Last edited:
The bracket on the back is where the pumps for livewell equipped boats are placed and you normally mount your fish finder transducer on the outside of the bracket. No reason why that shouldn't work.

The idea of the RV pump would be pretty simple aslo. You could route the line down to the same location on that rear bracket for the intake. I'd say it mostly depends on what's available for a location to mount the pump in the boat that would determine whether I mounted it on board or used a livewell pump off the back.

I'll add one more thing. I don't know how the RV pumps hold up but I've never had a livewell pump fail.

Great ideas! It already has a 12 v RV pump on it that pumps water from the fresh water tank to the sink. I'll route the hose coming from the tank to the lake. Thank you!
The sink drains into the lake. It's pretty small but really handy when we need it. Thanks again!

Here's a picture of the sink.

5873803_20180607095608476_1_LARGE.jpg

The pump might not prime.

The pump might not prime.

From Surflo (If that's what Bennington uses)

The Shurflo RV water pump is also a self-priming device, meaning that the pump “will prime itself even though the water tank may be six feet below the level of the pump,”

My old neighbor did a DIY setup like this. No sink but he added a pump, a screen on the intake and wired it up.

FB5C36F8-845E-4BED-8CD1-245C89B6948A.jpeg 3C931932-751A-4E07-ADAE-86F917E2E1FF.jpeg 862A7F26-E599-4CE9-92A1-7960A52BEBC3.jpeg I have installed two water systems on our boat. Ours came with a cooler under one of the bow corner seats. I have converted that to a freshwater sink. I installed a 5 gallon portable tank and demand pump inside the helm cabinet,then ran a hose to the corner sink with a kitchen sink spray nozzle. I remove the portable tank to fill it. I will discribe the other system in the next thread.

F4C27F54-5218-4EB3-98A9-1084246E11AD.jpeg ED18EB57-4E92-4E74-87B2-00B39CFF680B.jpeg The other water system i installed is a wash down which draws from the lake . It is self priming and works well.

Nice simple install, do you have a link or info on the pump/hose?

I bought it on amazon .ca(canada) but this looks like it. The reviews aren’t great here but I have no complaints. I used pex for the suction line.
SEAFLO Washdown Deck Wash Pump KIT 12v 70 PSI 5.0 GPM 18.9 LPM for Caravan Rv Boat Marine Yacht -Fba

I'd throw a screen on the bottom of the pickup tube.

The pump comes with an inline strainer which is mounted right beside the pump for easy access. Our lake is really clear and I haven’t had to clean it yet.

Back