Front end porpoising and advice on passenger seating

Gastonguy

Reaction score
We had an unnerving experience this evening when taking a group out on our pontoon. I had 11 on-board heading to a fireworks show on our lake. Boat has a 14 person capacity and we were under the weight capacity I believe. We had 7 up in the bow area seated, one opposite me at the helm and two in the super lounges in the stern. As I was throttling up, water started rushing under the front gate and the front of the boat was going under. Those in the front got up quickly and rushed toward the back of the boat with a look of "what just happened". Our boat has the center elliptical tube and normally feels very stable. My guests were so shaken that every time we stopped and began to go again, they would go to the center and stern of the boat. I did get a lesson tonight to make sure my passengers are evenly placed throughout my boat. I do have to say I was surprised this happened in that everyone was seated at the time of the incident.

Ben & Suzy,

Thanks for your reply and tips. I really did not understand "trimming the motor properly" I was trimming it once underway to try to get more speed at the same rpm but what you said makes perfect sense. Once up on plane, no problem with passengers up front. I will be keenly aware of seating position of my passengers "hey, big guys in the stern" from here on out.

Back