Front Gate

Will Sellars

Reaction score
Over the weekend had a large wage crash through my front gate. I need to get a replacement but do not like working with the dealer I purchased from. Is it possible to order a replacement gate directly from Bennington, if so how do I go about it?

You know, the front gate is a pain in the a$$. I'd rather remove it, but it's riveted on. It's easier to see debris before you run over it with it open, everyone seems to want to open it the wrong way, and you get 2 mph more top end speed with it open. Okay that part last part isn't true, but should be.

Work through your dealer if you want to replace it.

Dealers only. Bennington does not sell direct to customer. Maybe contact the next closest dealer.

Over the weekend had a large wage crash through my front gate. I need to get a replacement but do not like working with the dealer I purchased from. Is it possible to order a replacement gate directly from Bennington, if so how do I go about it?
Maybe contact a dealer fairly close to you and have them ship it to you.

... everyone seems to want to open it the wrong way...
I've actually been thinking of getting some nice stickers made up that say something like "Open" with an arrow pointing inward. Maybe I'll add a "Lift Here" as well.

I installed a bracket so it could not be opened the wrong way.

I'm a new member and this is my first pontoon boat. I'd like to keep my front door open and have it sit in the same type of door holder as the rear door. Is it possible to install another door holder in the front, near the front seat? Can these be ordered on line or are they only available through my dealer?

Welcome Dan! Interesting question you pose but I wonder if it might become a toe buster...

Thanks - I called the local dealer and he said the same thing. The location is so close to the bench that I don't think so. He has the part, called a door stop, and said that many boat owners do the same thing. I'm going to give it a try. Maybe I'll paint it a contrasting color that's not too obvious.

Keep in mind that while underway, NO ONE should be allowed to get up from a seated position, ESPECIALLY with the front gate open. One misstep or off-balance move, and someone could fall off the front of the boat with catastrophic results. They would be "funneled" between the pontoons to the rotating prop.
I'd rather have it closed than have to worry about everyone constantly (especially kids that never seem to remember/listen). Accidents happen in a split second, and usually occur when the captain is looking elsewhere for just a moment.

Very good point and one I did not think about. THANKS for the heads up...I've owned many previous boats and the last was a Grady White that we ran off of Tarpon Springs in the Gulf. This is my first pontoon and the advise is appreciated.

I'm a new member and this is my first pontoon boat. I'd like to keep my front door open and have it sit in the same type of door holder as the rear door. Is it possible to install another door holder in the front, near the front seat? Can these be ordered on line or are they only available through my dealer?
The comment on keeping it closed while underway is right on. Having it open invites folks to the bow, and things can go wrong.

But on your specific question, there have been a couple ways posted to keep gates open with snaps, and straps and magnets on here. All more forgiving to toes on the boat deck. Do a search on this website and you may find an answer that better fits your needs.

Dan, let us know what you end up doing and post a picture of it as well. As Tom indicated above, a few folks on this site have devised various ways to keep the gate open so do a search for more ideas.

Same. Hard to beat the old fashioned wedge style door stop. Plus, you don't have to put more screw holes in your boat/carpet.

Hello, you can find a company that specializes in gate repairs on the internet. I don't think it will cost you a lot of money. But, if you want to replace your old gate and put a new one there, you can buy a new gate on https://everlastgates.com/austin-texas-automatic-gate-repair-installation/. They have reasonable prices, and you might even get a discount as being their new client. Visit this website for more information.
Welcome to the forum PaleShade. The original poster was talking about a wave crashing over the bow of his pontoon boat and damaged his front entry gate. He was looking to replace or repair it........

Back