Front/Rear Gates: open or closed when trailering

Tin Diesel

Reaction score
For those who trailer long distances, do you keep your front and/or rear gates open or closed, and why?

I've been keeping mine open.

Pro:
  1. blows out any debris
  2. maybe less air resistance?
  3. front gate stop seems too flimsy to handle 65 mph winds
  4. dries the carpet after the grandkids!!!
  5. No bug splatters on the front gate
Con:
  1. Port-side lounge back opens up in the wind (now I keep it closed with a bungee - which you can see hanging out in the picture if you look close. Not sure why the starboard side stays put without bungee)
  2. Bug splatters inside the boat? But haven't seen any yet.

20180602_140552.jpg

Last edited:
I gave up on the road spray and bug splatter, I use a cover. Short distances to the ramp etc, I leave everything shut and remove the table. Hate to have to buy one of those!

Attachments

• 9B80D504-805B-4906-A61D-CB2C4138F391.jpeg
    9B80D504-805B-4906-A61D-CB2C4138F391.jpeg
    135 KB · Views: 16
I'm trying to budget a cover, but am also thinking that I need one designed for long distances and high speed. Meaning, it needs to be tight, well built and well supported. We have a lot of trailering experience on highways, and its not just the 65mph speed - its also the cross-winds and 18-wheeler blasts that we have to worry about.

When we towed to a local lake once a year 40 minutes each way I left the gates closed. I also had snap in carpet installed and it stayed in place. When we trailed to FL I had it shrink wrapped.

I've always left my front gates closed. Never had a cushion open up.

I'm trying to budget a cover, but am also thinking that I need one designed for long distances and high speed. Meaning, it needs to be tight, well built and well supported. We have a lot of trailering experience on highways, and its not just the 65mph speed - its also the cross-winds and 18-wheeler blasts that we have to worry about.
I try keep it about 70-75 but it’s been pushed to 90 a few times (diesel power ;) ) it wraps the front of the deck after I customized the trailer. It’s not stretch tight so it’s easier to install. There’s no vents to a inflate it as it goes down the road. Had it made locally, not inexpensive but worth every penny. Beside we can throw all the junk in there and nothing gets wet.

I now trailer with the doors open and use the removable cup holders to keep the cushions from flipping up and pull the table out. I’m not sure it matters as you either clean bugs off the front and rear door if closed or seats and engine cover if open.

I don't know guys maybe I'm being more conservative in my old age but I don't think I've ever had our Expedition up to 84 or 90 while towing our boat......

When I asked this question, I didn't really think about the road-cover option. We've been towing uncovered, but don't like doing it. Going through a rain shower can put a damper on the cruise! Plus I'm sure we're picking up a lot of road grit.

I’m not a speed demon but I like to run with traffic and go up hill the same speed as flat or down hill. I dont push it with my kids and have a ton more patience but when I’m running myself or with the boys snowmobiling we’ve got no time to waste!!

I’m so used to having everything in enclosed trailers I can’t bring myself to tow to far without a cover. Road spray on the seats and panels drive me nuts plus no bug issues, table stays in place and all the junk for the boat stays on the boat till we get to the lake or home

Like adkboater, we put a lot of gear in the boat when we travel and the cover keeps everything dry and in it's place. Also, a cover made from sunbrella isn't cheap for a boat 27 foot LOA. However, that material breaths and is an excellent storage cover for longer periods of time.

I try keep it about 70-75 but it’s been pushed to 90 a few times (diesel power ;) ) it wraps the front of the deck after I customized the trailer. It’s not stretch tight so it’s easier to install. There’s no vents to a inflate it as it goes down the road. Had it made locally, not inexpensive but worth every penny. Beside we can throw all the junk in there and nothing gets wet.
You obviously have never had anything happen to the trailer like a blown tire. Things go south really quick when that happens at the speed you seem to like to travel.

You obviously have never had anything happen to the trailer like a blown tire. Things go south really quick when that happens at the speed you seem to like to travel.
Take a look at a car carrier next time you’re going down the road..... I have quite a few miles under my belt driving one of those and lost a steer tire on RT76 in the cattle shoots, I can tell you all about blowouts. I also have 26 years in emergency services on a limited access highway, trust me when I say I know things happen quick!
I don’t prefer to drive at crazy speeds was just making the point that a good cover will hold up on the highways

Last edited:
Take a look at a car carrier next time you’re going down the road..... I have quite a few miles under my belt driving one of those and lost a steer tire on RT76 in the cattle shoots, I can tell you all about blowouts. I also have 26 years in emergency services on a limited access highway, trust me when I say I know things happen quick!
I don’t prefer to drive at crazy speeds was just making the point that a good cover will hold up on the highways
thank you for clearing that up.

Back