Fuel consumption

You'll get more wind noise than engine noise.

As previously stated, the last thing you want to do is pay for something that you'll never get the benefit out of. Too bad you won't be able to try out a two-toon vs. a tri-toon just to see and feel the difference in performance. Another thing you may want to consider is the water that you boat on; is it normally calm or is it generally rough? With a tri-toon, rough water won't keep you at the dock like it will a double. However, if I had to guess, I'd say that a two-toon with lifting strakes and a 90 HP would suit you just fine. Good luck with your decision and let us know what you ordered.

So, to clarify in my mind, you can still get up into just as shallow water (or maybe even shallower?) than without the SPS package? And on the other side of the water line, you are reaching down a bit further to net your fish? :) Is that correct?
yes, it sits a little higher because of the increased buoyancy of the tri toon. i also don't trim the motor much. Netting fish is no different for me. the boat probably sits 6 inches higher than my old pontoon. As far as shallow water goes, as long as you watch the motor, you should be alright.

I fished in a 22' Sweetwater 2 tube Yammy 90 4 stroke for 12 years. Bought my Benny last fall which is also a 22' boat, but 3 tube SPS with a Yammy 150. Like other have said, you are higher off the water. I am probably a good 8" higher. Things I have noticed so far, when moving the boat around with the trolling motor not much difference. However, when the wind is blowing you will notice that it pushes you around a bit more. Landing the fish on board is not an issue, but I'm not pulling 50+ lbs Cats over the side either (yet anyway.) Someone mentioned about the smoothness/quietness of the 150 over the 115. I notice that too over my old 90. As I understand, anything below a 150 is not a counter balanced engine like the 150 is. I like the fact that I can get to where I am going to fish much quicker, turn much sharper. So far not so noticeable in using much more fuel, but some. That all depends on how much throttle you are running at. At 3500-4000 RPM and below not that much difference from point A to B in comparison. Probably burning more fuel/mile, but the engine is running for shorter time so helps to compensate. Faster, and you start to overcome the per/mile consumption vs time, but did I mention that it is much more funner ;). I chose the SPS and 150, because we do tube and ski and sometimes cruise down the lake for 20 mile or so. NO regrets!! Love it!

One thing I'll add is that with my second boat (2275 RCW with ESP and a 200) I found that it came off the trailer MUCH easier when launching when compared to my 2075 GLi with a 90hp 2 toon. Don't think it was just in my head!!! Haha vehicle tires never touch the water on the ESP (obviously all launches are different)

You could also look at the twin ellipticals, although I can't remember the smallest recommended engine size for that.

I am s fan of the 150/sps, for resale it's a huge difference, for your usage, I would think twin ellipticals would be great. Plus lots of room if you wanted to throw a trolling motor on later

Good point about the center toon getting in the way of the trolling motor.

As you can see in my album pics I have a trolling motor mounted. I do not realize any interference between the center tube and the trolling motor. It is under the front end enough that it is out of the way. However, I did move it slightly to the left side of the walk through for two reasons, maximum clearance to walk through the gate when entering/exiting to the latter when on the trailer, and to actually miss the trailer latter when on the trailer.

I have a 2018 22ssx with a 115 Mercury. Sips fuel down doing while slow trolling and cruising around with the family. I have troll control installed on my boat and it lets me get down to 1.5 mph and gives me the ability to increase/decrease my speed by 50 RPM at a time with a push of a button. So that means I can adjust speed by .1 mph any time for trolling, It is awesome and am so glad I got it with the boat. I don't know if Yamaha has something like troll control but if they do and you are going to be trolling allot I would highly recommend it.

Out of curiosity, is “troll control” some sort of Mercury motor add on, after market add on, something one needs to have added on at build to be wired into dash, something on all Mercury motors, or something specific to your 115 Merc? Although we do not fish or have a need for this, we have a Merc Verado Pro on our boat.

What you are describing seems like a very nice option, as I have seen many people bring up trolling speeds over this past year in various posts. For other Mercury owners, this might be the best way to go.

It is a factory Mercury add on that is wired into the motor. I have the control unit on my dash. I had mine installed when we got our boat last fall. Our dealer wasn't familiar with it as well. Not too many people know about it. If you do a google search for Mercury troll control you will see many video's and posts about it. This can be used with any Mercury motor that has Smartcraft capability. I have the digital gauge that also has many other boat motor readings like water PSI, Fuel use, temp ETC. For us we use the boat mostly for trolling Sierra lakes for trout and Kokanee so this gave us the ability to get the biggest motor possible and also be able to use it for trolling down to 1.5 MPH with slower tackle. It's simple to use, you just put the boat in drive and push the mode button to engage the unit, then you adjust the RPM up or down until the desired speed is reached. You can override it by using the hand throttle or push mode button to turn it off.

Very interesting. Sure sounds like a great add on.

Seems like something to add into the build options with Mercury motors. Not a big deal for someone like me. I bet though if it was part of the build options, more people with fishing uses in mind would get it.

Back