Fuel filter on SX 22

Phoenix618

Reaction score
My 2016 with a Mercury 4 stroke has a Yamaha water separating filter. I am the second owner . Did it come equipped that way from factory.

Yes Phoenix, my 2012 Yamaha F115 came with one.

I can see a Yamaha coming with a Yamaha filter but my question is if a Mercury also comes with a Yamaha.

Pretty much all the water separator filters are the same just different brands. Our Honda didn't come with a external filter so I added one of these: You can see if there's water and it's easy to drain.

our boat has the Yamaha filter with a mercury engine.

Thanks for the replies. I tried to cross reference the Yamaha to a Mercury and it would not cross reference . Evidently all Mercury fuel water separator filters are made for specific engines and installed on the engine. That’s the reason Bennington uses the Yamaha.

As long as the fuel filer will pass the required amount of fuel as specified by the engine manufacturer for that engine and the threads will match then any filter should work.
The micron filtration may vary but as long as you get what is recommended by the manufacturer then you are fine for purposes of warranty.

Thanks for the replies. I tried to cross reference the Yamaha to a Mercury and it would not cross reference . Evidently all Mercury fuel water separator filters are made for specific engines and installed on the engine. That’s the reason Bennington uses the Yamaha.

The Yamaha has a small fuel filter and water separator on the motor as well. It has a float in the bowl which is your sensor and alarm for water in the fuel. The large separator is a pre-filter before the engine and gives added insurance plus more capacity for water vs the small bowl on under the hood. The clear bowls under the large filters like cwags are nice! Just make sure they are mounted so they do not sit in water like in the transom area.

Speaking of that...my last Bennington had the separator mounted in the rear corner along with the battery cable terminal. My new one has it mounted under the rear deck in the transom. I just dealt with a pretty big problem with that set up getting water in the fuel and don't know why the heck they would mount it there! When i have time im looking into mounting it back where the other one was.

Back