Fuel Gauge Pegged On Full?

Tooncrazy

Reaction score
My 2015 2275 GCW fuel gauge is pegged on Full with the ignition switch On and drops to Empty with the switch off. Everything else electrical on the boat works fine. What are the likely cause(s) for this problem?

Here is a link to a photo of my sender and technical details:

http://www.wemausa.com/sensors/level-FuelWater.shtml#.W1t5QdJKhaQ

The round float rides up and down on a large diameter shaft so I think it's unlikely to be stuck. The boat has 165 hours on it. There is a unconnected black and a purple wire in the helm panel wiring harness that could be related to the problem? The Tachometer and Trim gauges work fine.

Thanks for any assistance.

Last edited:
Check for fuel sender wire shorted to ground or a stuck float in the tank. Disconnect wire at sender and if it drops, your float is probably stuck. If it’s still pegged looks for a short to ground on the sender wire somewhere.

Would an open purple wire cause my problem?

No purple wire for fuel sender. If your boat is a 2015, why don't you call your dealer since it's warranty?

Last edited:
The wires going to the tank sender terminate in a plug on the top of the sender. If I unplug that plug what should happen to the fuel gauge (it's pegged at Full now with ignition switch On)? How to unplug it is not obvious. Does anyone here know how to unplug it? Looks like it unplugs straight up when pried with a screwdriver?
A picture might be helpful.

Last edited:
I believe he meant a picture of your sender on your boat.

Ours recently stuck at 7/8 tank. Pulled the fuel sender and the rod was slightly bent.

With as much clearance the float had, I wouldn't have thought the float would have stuck on such a slight bend; however, it did (first time after 3 1/2 seasons). Guessing the factory assembler thought the same or they wouldn't have put it in.

Dealer gave me a new one, very simple swap, and all good now.

Ours recently stuck at 7/8 tank. Pulled the fuel sender and the rod was slightly bent.

With as much clearance the float had, I wouldn't have thought the float would have stuck on such a slight bend; however, it did (first time after 3 1/2 seasons). Guessing the factory assembler thought the same or they wouldn't have put it in.

Dealer gave me a new one, very simple swap, and all good now.

Is this the same sender you have:
http://www.wemausa.com/sensors/level-FuelWater.shtml#.W1uCyNJKhaQ

See post #1 for photo of my sender.

See post #1 for photo of my sender.
Sorry, missed that but I thought a picture of the actual one if possible, might be helpful. Sounds like you've gotten some solid tips above. Good luck!

Interesting. I have a 2013 with about only 123 hours on it and my fuel gauge is pegged at full also and I have observed the fuel level well below full. My boat just went over the 5 year warranty level earlier this year. When joining the Bennington club, it was mentioned that my warranty would be extended from 5 to 7 years, so I am hoping that this would be covered under warranty. Anyone have any experience with using the extended warranty?

The warranty is the same, bow to stern. Your dealer should take care of it.

Likely not the reason for this OP's fuel guage stuck on full but just an FYI and follow-up for others that may experience a similar issue as ours.

Turns out, our fuel sending unit was not bent upon original assembly but instead was bent due to lack of the tank being able to vent. It's a long a crazy story but in summary, after some troubleshooting of the motor dying on two separate occasions now, we determined it was starved of fuel due to the tank not venting properly. When this happened, the tank sides (along the center toon sides where we cannot see) had sucked in so hard that it bent the sending unit. We've evidently bent 2 of them now in this manner, until we figured out it has actually been the venting issue as the primary cause of our problem.

Dealer is as amazed as we are this could actually happen as bad as it did but has a new gas cap on the way and hoping that solves the confirmed venting, 'tank sucking in', bent fuel sender, and engine dying problem. Weird stuff but that's boating for you. :)

Glad you found the problem.

Thanks for the follow up GNC, good info

What will disconnecting the gauge at the tank/sender prove one way or the other? Will disconnecting it move the fuel gauge needle to zero proving the sender is defective, it's stuck on Full now?

Back