Fuel Gauge Pegged On Full?

If you disconnect the wire at the sender and it goes to empty, I would check the sending unit.

Disconnected the sender at the fuel tank and the fuel gauge dropped to Empty. This indicates that the sender is stuck or otherwise defective. Ordering a replacement tomorrow.

Is your boat out of warranty? It should be covered.

Dealer is 55 miles away and I don't have a trailer. Replacement sender is $73.

Tell him to send it to you and send him back the old one.

Check with your dealer. They came to me to do a recall a few years ago since I bought from them and don’t have a trailer. They had a tech whose job was to do those types of warranty / recalls for customers without trailers.

Forgot to mention my dealer is about 230 miles away from the pontoon.

I replaced the fuel tank sending unit with a new one and the problem did not go away. Fuel gauge is still pegged on full, when I disconnect the sending unit at the tank the fuel gauge drops to Empty....

Take a pic of the connection at the tank.

Did you plug in the new one before you installed it into the tank? It would've been easier to check or test. One wire should go to ground and the other goes to gauge.

I had the same problem on my 2018R, the fuel gauge was pegged on full. It was fixed by replacing the gauge and my dealer said they’ve had the gauge problem on several boats over the last couple of years.

I replaced the fuel tank sending unit with a new one and the problem did not go away. Fuel gauge is still pegged on full, when I disconnect the sending unit at the tank the fuel gauge drops to Empty....
I have the same problem. I replaced the sending unit and the gauge is pegged on full when I run the motor. The replaced sending unit had no bends in the shaft. Did you replace the gauge and did that correct the problem?

Interesting. I have a 2013 with about only 123 hours on it and my fuel gauge is pegged at full also and I have observed the fuel level well below full. My boat just went over the 5 year warranty level earlier this year. When joining the Bennington club, it was mentioned that my warranty would be extended from 5 to 7 years, so I am hoping that this would be covered under warranty. Anyone have any experience with using the extended warranty?

Did you resolve "the fuel gauge is pegged" problem? I am having the same problem on my 2013. I replaced the fuel sender but the gauge is still pegged with the key on.

I haven’t read all of the posts but I had the problem of the gauge always reading full. I removed the sending unit and manually operated the arm while watching the gauge. It worked perfectly all through the range of motion. After this started getting old, worrying about the amount of gas, I removed the pink wire to check the ohms. When I put it back, I made sure the wire was getting a good connection. I removed one of the washers, tightened down very snug, and boom, the gauge worked perfectly. It was just a bad connection on top of the sending unit. Hope this helps someone.

I haven’t read all of the posts but I had the problem of the gauge always reading full. I removed the sending unit and manually operated the arm while watching the gauge. It worked perfectly all through the range of motion. After this started getting old, worrying about the amount of gas, I removed the pink wire to check the ohms. When I put it back, I made sure the wire was getting a good connection. I removed one of the washers, tightened down very snug, and boom, the gauge worked perfectly. It was just a bad connection on top of the sending unit. Hope this helps someone.
OK thanks for the info. I will check that again and also check the fuel gauge. Any one else have a problem and solution of the gauge pegged?

Kekky, think about it, if you remove your sending unit, move the arm as if it was full and using gas, and the gauge responds to the full range of motion, that tells you that both pieces are working the way they should. Good luck, brother.

Back