Fuel Tank Capacity

ILLINOIS AVE

Reaction score
I was looking at a spec sheet for a 2017 24SSRX at my Dealer,it showed that it had a 24 gallon fuel tank but only 21.4 useable capacity. Why? And do other models have different size tanks or is 24 gallon on all models? I would think more H.P. more fuel capacity ? 

That's for a twin tube boat. Usable gallons would just be what you can actually get out of it due to placement or fuel draw location. My SPS has a 32gal. Center tube fuel tank, I usually fill it up once below half so I have no idea how low I could draw it..... no plans to find out either!! :)  

I think all the new tanks usable capacity is less than the total rating of the tank. Due to EPA regulations. Something with venting and expansion I think 

That's for a twin tube boat. Usable gallons would just be what you can actually get out of it due to placement or fuel draw location. My SPS has a 32gal. Center tube fuel tank, I usually fill it up once below half so I have no idea how low I could draw it..... no plans to find out either!! :)  

Actually that boat has the SPS package on it. Shows SPS w/ Transom fuel 24S.

I've got a 21slxp on order with the SPS package and it comes with a 32 gallon transom mounted tank 

I want to say my new 24' SXP SPS tritoon has a 34 gallon tank.  Wish it had more as I am on a big lake, and don't like the idea of topping off very often.  However, it is what it is...

I want to say my new 24' SXP SPS tritoon has a 34 gallon tank.  Wish it had more as I am on a big lake, and don't like the idea of topping off very often.  However, it is what it is...

Unless you drive like me...... wide open.... you should get some pretty good distance out a tank. Somebody said something about an adjustble lever next to the wheel... I just thought it was an on/off switch!! ;)  

Not to confuse the subject but your tanks may hold more than the spec says. My dealer had put 6 gallons in mine when I picked it up.  All the specs say 50 gallon tank, well when I went to the gas station for some cheap gas it takes 49 gallons. I called the dealer and said how big is this tank and one of the sales guys say it is 55 gallons. I asked why does all the literature say 50 gallons and he say the government requires them to build specs with 10% less than full capacity so that boaters have more gas than they think. I just shake my head and say that's stupid and only the government could come up with that. I have not verified  if what he said is true but I have 55 gallon tank and all the literature says 50.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to confuse the subject but your tanks may hold more than the spec says. My dealer had put 6 gallons in mine when I picked it up.  All the specs say 50 gallon tank, well when I went to the gas station for some cheap gas it takes 49 gallons. I called the dealer and said how big is this tank and one of the sales guys say it is 55 gallons. I asked why does all the literature say 50 gallons and he say the government requires them to build specs with 10% less than full capacity so that boaters have more gas than they think. I just shake my head and say that's stupid and only the government could come up with that. I have not verified  if what he said is true but I have 55 gallon tank and all the literature says 50.

Hmm, I would really like to see this law, I think your dealer may be full of it :)

Maybe they didn't put six gallons in?  And if they did, what cheapskapes, they should have filled it!

I've read the same thing that new EPA rules force the tank to be a few gallons larger than how much fuel they can actually hold if the back-flow prevention system was not in place. I guess it's for expansion and fuel overflow prevention. That's why they spec the fuel tank size as "usable capacity". I have the same tank as ILLINOIS AVE and it holds just under 22 gallons of fuel.

Hmm, I would really like to see this law, I think your dealer may be full of it :)

Maybe they didn't put six gallons in?  And if they did, what cheapskapes, they should have filled it!

Now that I understand my fuel gage there was close to the  6 gallons they claim and literature  says 50 gallon tank and it is definitively 55. Don't know about the law.

I'm with Adkboater, once below half I start thinking about filling up because mine fluctuates so much. It'll be reading half tank and as soon as you accelerate it'll drop down to 1/4 tank. (Or vice versa) 52 gallons will last a while as long as no one is skiing/wakeboarding and you're constantly putting the hammer down!

I just took delivery of my 2017 22sxp with SPS. It was spec'ed on the site with a 32 gal tank.  However if you open the tank access area you can see the label on the tank and it shows 34 US gal. Easy to check.  

Of course I also found that my fuel level sending unit was never plugged in at the factory so I have to trace the wire bundle to find the other end and connect it.  Ugh 

IMG_0613.jpg

Of course I also found that my fuel level sending unit was never plugged in at the factory so I have to trace the wire bundle to find the other end and connect it.  Ugh 

Didn't your dealer go over the boat with you and test drive it with you before you picked it up?

Didn't your dealer go over the boat with you and test drive it with you before you picked it up?

He gave us the option for a test drive, but it was raining pretty hard.  We did activate the gauges, but just assumed it was empty.  Didnt realize a problem until we filled the tank on the 3 hr drive home and launched the boat in our lake....then it was too late to go back. 

I am going to see if I can find the wire harness tucked in the loom somewhere and run to to the tank and plug it in.  If it is not that simple, will take it in for warranty during my 20 hour service.

I just took delivery of my 2017 22sxp with SPS. It was spec'ed on the site with a 32 gal tank.  However if you open the tank access area you can see the label on the tank and it shows 34 US gal. Easy to check.  

View attachment 1714

Mine has a second access cover under one of the seats where I can access the sender. Did you happen to check under the seats for another access point? Might get lucky.

My dealer is over an hour away from any water so there are no test drives. 

Mine has a second access cover under one of the seats where I can access the sender. Did you happen to check under the seats for another access point? Might get lucky.

Do you recall which seat it is under. I am out of town but will check on my return.  

Unless you are talking about the actual sender on the tank, as that is in the picture I posted above. What I am missing, is the wire (connector) that comes from the Helm to connect to that pigtail you see in my picture that is part of the sender. 

The sender on mine is under one of the two access covers. I'm assuming the harness mating end is somewhere in the general area. Good luck!

Back