Fuel Tank Install

JTA

Reaction score
I have a 2017 218 SL. When I bought the boat it was spec'd from the dealer with a 28 gal fuel tank and it only had a 6 gallon tank in it. The dealer has sent me the 28 gal tank and seems pretty easy to install once the get me the rest of the parts that is. Was wondering if I could possibly get and install drawing for this from Bennington to ensure that I install it correctly.  TB please help a boater out! Thank you!!

How far are you from your dealer? Looking at the build sheet, that's a $668 option you paid for (and didn't get) and you're doing it yourself? Someone dropped the ball. Hopefully you were well compensated for this mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2017 218 SL. When I bought the boat it was spec'd from the dealer with a 28 gal fuel tank and it only had a 6 gallon tank in it. The dealer has sent me the 28 gal tank and seems pretty easy to install once the get me the rest of the parts that is. Was wondering if I could possibly get and install drawing for this from Bennington to ensure that I install it correctly.  TB please help a boater out! Thank you!!

You don't want to do that install.  You paid for it, they need to do it.  What if you install it incorrectly, have a fuel leak, and God forbid a fire?  What if you have a warranty issue down the road?

i wouldn't touch it.  Make them do it.

Even if you are really handy you just don't want to install the fuel tank. Let the experts do the install period. If something should go wrong it could be a horrific ordeal. I'm surprised that Bennington would send you the tank in the first place. The dealer should step up and pick up your boat and get this taken care of immediately. Bennington is a great company and this forum is very popular and informative for all us owners so don't stand for anything less than the dealer performing like you would expect. BTW why would Bennington even offer a 6 gallon tank? I'm stumped.........

Good luck and don't stand for this baloney. 

Reactions: JTA
Even if you are really handy you just don't want to install the fuel tank. Let the experts do the install period. If something should go wrong it could be a horrific ordeal. I'm surprised that Bennington would send you the tank in the first place. The dealer should step up and pick up your boat and get this taken care of immediately. Bennington is a great company and this forum is very popular and informative for all us owners so don't stand for anything less than the dealer performing like you would expect. BTW why would Bennington even offer a 6 gallon tank? I'm stumped.........

Good luck and don't stand for this baloney. 

I bought the boat from a dealer 3.5 hrs away from basiclly over the phone and internet and had them send me the spec sheet on it prior purchasing it to see all the options. When I drove down to pick up the boat and do the acceptance inspection i noticed the tiny 6 gallon tank and it was also missing the Graph 4 fish finder. They did an IOU and sent me the parts well some of them. The gas tank is fully assembled with all hoses and drops in the back left storage compartment. Still waiting on the gas cap portion, gas gauge and wiring harness for the gauge. If the dealer was closer I would have them do it, unfortunately it's not....

Personally, I would make the 3.5 hour trip and say call me when it's done. You're taking on a big job because nothing just "drops in".

Bennington designed it for Semp's boats,must have had an extra to get rid of.The six gallons will last half a season for him. Just a guess! 

Yup .... probably a cancelled spec boat from our lake ...  :p    That's the size we use to have on our GillGetter. I agree that I can't imagine even offering a 6 gallon tank. I'd burn through that in 2 weekends running full throttle ....  :lol:

Yup .... probably a cancelled spec boat from our lake ...  :p    That's the size we use to have on our GillGetter. I agree that I can't imagine even offering a 6 gallon tank. I'd burn through that in 2 weekends running full throttle ....  :lol:

Wouldn't last me an hour! I'd bring it back to the dealer with the pile of parts and put it back on them. You don't want the liability of installing a gas tank. Schedule it so you get out there in the morning when they open, they can get it done and you drive back that evening. Maybe if they are near water you can use their demo boat for the day and make a mini vacation out of it.

+1 many of the above comments.  

This would absolutely be a liability issue for you if a) any calamity involving any aspect of the fuel system went sideways down the road, or b) something goes wrong mechanically down the road that involves in some way the fuel system.

I would imagine in both cases, different parties would default to you in those circumstances; whether that became a civil issue, voiding of insurance coverage issue, or voiding of warranty coverage issue.

I would invest the day to get it taken care of by the dealership so as to CYA.

Ask them to send a guy out to your place to help you put it in.  That way you don't have to transport the boat...  Seems like the least they could do.

Back