Fuel Tank Option

peeruwp

Reaction score
My SPS build will have a ~32 gallon tank but can upgrade to a center tank with 47 gallons. Ill be on a river and could travel a ways but plenty of marinas on the way. This seems like a really nice thing to have but not something I need given I am already at budget. Thoughts from those who have 32.. are you content?

Also, does the center tank mean center tube storage limitations?

I am happy with my 32gal. It was not worth the upgrade for me. I do have a cabin so I do have easy access to gas. If I didn’t have a cabin I would seriously consider the bigger tank.

Tough call here. In 2017 they did not offer a tank upgrade option on a S-series with SPS. As a result, we have a 32 gallon tank on our 24’ SSBXP SPS with a 200HP Mercury Verado Pro (6cyl). If they had allowed a larger tank, I think I would have went for it with my motor.

It would be nice to spread out refuelings and increase range. However, since we are lakeside, with 3 marinas on our lake (one very close to our cottage), it is not a significant concern for me. If doing a lot of tubing with guests, I can burn through a good amount of gas in relatively short time frames. When just cruising around, not a huge issue.

Thus, would it be nice? YES! Is it essential? No (so long as you have refueling options within your fuel tank cruising range).

On the flip side, my understanding is you cannot get in-floor storage on the SPS if you get the larger capacity upgraded 45 gallon tank that is now an option on some S-series floor plans. Since both options are nice, it’d be a tough call.

I'm in the same boat.. so to speak. Trying to build a 22 SSX and deciding between going all out with the elliptical Sport Package and 54 gallon in-toon tank or sticking with the SPS and 32 gallon tank. I will be in a river with no fueling stations and will venture out in to the bay and possibly out into the edge of the Gulf of Mexico. I'm looking at the Yamaha 200F motor so I don't want to short change myself on tank size. The budget isn't the problem; in-toon storage is. I will have under just 3 seats for storage and can put stuff in each of the two live wells if not going fishing, but in-toon storage provides a lot of room.

Another deal breaker for me was the loss of one person capacity with the bigger tank since we have a large family. With that said if you do not have access to gas and do not need max capacity, I would recommend it especially with a 200.

We have 50+ gallon center tube tank and we still have center tube storage. For us the center tube storage is critical and I would not have gone with the upgraded gas tank if it cost me that. It is great being able to go a long time between fill-ups, whether cruising around, pulling tubers, or taking a long cruise to a destination at the opposite end of our lake. But it hurts when you buy nearly 50 gallons of gas a marina. o_O

We have 50+ gallon center tube tank and we still have center tube storage. For us the center tube storage is critical and I would not have gone with the upgraded gas tank if it cost me that. It is great being able to go a long time between fill-ups, whether cruising around, pulling tubers, or taking a long cruise to a destination at the opposite end of our lake. But it hurts when you buy nearly 50 gallons of gas a marina. o_O
What length is your boat? I am looking at a 22. Maybe that's the difference? The build site said the ESP was not available with the in-toon storage. It grayed out and I couldn't click on it with the in-toon storage checked. Maybe the build site is wrong??

Last edited:
Another deal breaker for me was the loss of one person capacity with the bigger tank since we have a large family. With that said if you do not have access to gas and do not need max capacity, I would recommend it especially with a 200.
The SPS package, which is what I would choose if I chose not to opt for the 54 gallon fuel tank, has a 12 person capacity. If I upgrade to the ESP to get the larger tank (only reason for me to upgrade), it's a 14 person capacity. So losing 1 person to get a 200hp motor still gives me 1 extra person than I would get if I didn't opt for the larger tank... in my specific circumstance.

RyanClay24 my boat is 25 feet. Length is probably the difference as you said.

On a 23 ft SPS tri... does the added fuel from 32 to 46 PLUS it moving to the center vs the transom impact how the boat sits in the water and/or preform? clearly more weight from added gas will reduce speed a little I'm assuming?

On a 23 ft SPS tri... does the added fuel from 32 to 46 PLUS it moving to the center vs the transom impact how the boat sits in the water and/or preform? clearly more weight from added gas will reduce speed a little I'm assuming?

There is SO MUCH weight already in the back of the boat that I would think spreading gas weight distribution into the rear to center of the center pontoon would be better for balancing out weight. However, I don’t see it having a significant impact other than “possibly” impacting engine hole mount.

Last edited:
Any thoughts on how much top end speed I would lose with the bigger tank... 200hp yamaha?

any more benefits for one over the other?

Did you order the direct fuel fill option ? It is no cost and you don't have to worry about fuel spilling on your panels . We carry our gas and use a super siphon . Much easier .

Did you order the direct fuel fill option ? It is no cost and you don't have to worry about fuel spilling on your panels . We carry our gas and use a super siphon . Much easier .
I havent ordered anything yet... this is my last decision point. What is direct fill vs standard? Is direct fill only for the transom tank but not the center full tank with Port fill?

anyone with this set upgrade know where in the boat the tank is actually? Is it in the middle or back 1/3 of boat?

Back