Fueling Your Bennie

Oregonizm

Reaction score
I took delivery of my new 2275GCW in February but, being located in Central Oregon, we are just now getting it out on the lakes. I had the first opportunity to visit my local gas station with it yesterday and when I got over the shock of having to pay $4.61 per gallon for "Corn Free Premium" I had an awful time getting fuel into the tank. My tank is located under one of the rear seats and the filler is located near the top of the nearby fence. When the boat is on the trailer that puts the filler about 7' high. I borrowed a ladder and solved that problem but that was just the beginning. I removed the rear seat so I could see the tank and the fuel level and then I manually operated the fuel trigger, not using the trigger hold and not trusting the auto-shut-off. When the fuel level in the tank was still several inches from the top, fuel began spewing out of the filler all over the side of my brand new boat. With the fuel level several inches from the top of the tank I waited a minute and carefull tried to get some more fuel into the tank. Fuel immediatly began spewing out of the filler and down the side of my boat. According to my boat's fuel guage I had about 1/8 of a tank before I started re-fueling and I could only get 13 gallons into the 25 gallon tank. The boat's guage now reads a little more that 3/4 full but I can't get any more fuel into the tank without risking more spilled $4.61 per gallon fuel down the side of my boat. Anybody out there have this problem and have you found a solution other that just filling 3/4 full?

I raise the front of the boat using the tongue jack. This puts the front of the tank higher. The boat naturally sits in the water nose up so filling at the dock has not been a problem for me. Question for you. Does Yamaha require premium gas in the 150? Unless required due to high compression, high octane does nothing for performance or longevity...

There is a kinked, plugged,undersized or restricted vent line..... The problem is a hydraulic action. The fuel tank is a chamber full of air, until fluid is introduced to replace the air. Whereas,induced fuel is heavier than air, settles to the bottom of the chamber and forces the air out through a vent line. However, if the vent line is corrupted, air is then forced out the filler neck. The air rushing out of the filler neck brings gas back out simultaneously. Thus, the condition you describe.

The vent line may be connected to the filler neck assembly or seperate. Subject to being incorporated into the filler neck assembly, remove the vent hose and start by looking for debri in the neck assembly. Then blow air through the vent hose and listen/watch for fuel tank bubbles. You might have a low pressure pump that will do that job. Again, there will probably be a kinked hose or plugged line. Note: air compressor level air may rupture/burst the fuel tank.

Good Luck

I reccomend the same solution that Fyrfightr did. When I fill up at a land station while on the trailer, I can only put in 3/4 of a tank. At the docks, they are able to fill it all the way up. I never thought about disconnecting the trailer to tilt the boat stern down, but makes complete sense.

I took delivery of my new 2275GCW in February but, being located in Central Oregon, we are just now getting it out on the lakes. I had the first opportunity to visit my local gas station with it yesterday and when I got over the shock of having to pay $4.61 per gallon for "Corn Free Premium" I had an awful time getting fuel into the tank. My tank is located under one of the rear seats and the filler is located near the top of the nearby fence. When the boat is on the trailer that puts the filler about 7' high. I borrowed a ladder and solved that problem but that was just the beginning. I removed the rear seat so I could see the tank and the fuel level and then I manually operated the fuel trigger, not using the trigger hold and not trusting the auto-shut-off. When the fuel level in the tank was still several inches from the top, fuel began spewing out of the filler all over the side of my brand new boat. With the fuel level several inches from the top of the tank I waited a minute and carefull tried to get some more fuel into the tank. Fuel immediatly began spewing out of the filler and down the side of my boat. According to my boat's fuel guage I had about 1/8 of a tank before I started re-fueling and I could only get 13 gallons into the 25 gallon tank. The boat's guage now reads a little more that 3/4 full but I can't get any more fuel into the tank without risking more spilled $4.61 per gallon fuel down the side of my boat. Anybody out there have this problem and have you found a solution other that just filling 3/4 full?
What is the dimension from top of tank to bottom of filler neck.......Does the vent line connect to the filler neck? .....If yes, is the vent line on the top or bottom of the filler neck.....On the trailer, is the bottom of the filler neck above the top of the fuel tank ?......Dimension ?

My GCW does the very same thing. First time I filled up (last year) I nearly took a shower in gasoline. No matter where I fill up (on the trailer or at the marina) the gas fills the very same way. Other owners have the same problem. Once I think my gas tank is near full I barely squeeze the trigger on the pump but it's gonna spew out every time! It would be nice if Bennington had a fix for this issue.

I may be missing something, however it is obvious more fuel is going in than vent air is coming out. The spew occurs when air rushs out the filler neck and brings fuel with it..... So, either the vent line is under capacity or restricted. Modern EPA has something to do with the fuel cap and safety may mandate a restrictive vent design. Though, from a point of safety, spewing gas is not safe.

Perhaps an "enlarged vent line" from the tank To a "T" To a capped auxilary vent head, to be opened when fueling. The other leg of the "T" will create the original circuit. There should be less back pressure if the "T" is placed close to the tank. At that point the only restriction would be subject to capacity of the tank vent fitting.

With some amount of vent, fueling becomes similar to filling a bucket with the garden hose.

I may be missing something, however it is obvious more fuel is going in than vent air is coming out. The spew occurs when air rushs out the filler neck and brings fuel with it..... So, either the vent line is under capacity or restricted. Modern EPA has something to do with the fuel cap and safety may mandate a restrictive vent design. Though, from a point of safety, spewing gas is not safe.

Perhaps an "enlarged vent line" from the tank To a "T" To a capped auxilary vent head, to be opened when fueling. The other leg of the "T" will create the original circuit. There should be less back pressure if the "T" is placed close to the tank. At that point the only restriction would be subject to capacity of the tank vent fitting.

With some amount of vent, fueling becomes similar to filling a bucket with the garden hose.
Without a doubt there is a design flaw with the fuel design. I remember awhile back there was a recommended fix. It was to turn your pump handle upside down. Apparently this was the only way some members could fill all the way up without the fuel spillage.

Even at my marina, they get the spew of fuel on the side of the boat everytime. They always hose it off and I have accepted it as a part of normal usage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anybody still have this issue with the center tube fuel tank?

I only filled twice before winter, but had no problems either time. The handle tripped of just like it should. My boat sits very level on the trailer and doesn't slant down in front.

For those that have this problem, i wonder if winter condensation will be a problem (since you can't fill the tank all the way before winter).

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems that some people have this problem and some don't, as CcanDo pointed out, is has to do with the volume going in as opposed to vent capacity.

Bennington uses standard "off the shelf" fuel fill components [mine is Perko], meaning they don't actually design or manufacture these components.

I have had similar problems with every boat i have owned, and with my Sea-doo's as well.

I feel the answer is for everyone to try different nozzle positions and flow rates to find the optimum fill-up combination, as it will be different for every boat. If you listen closely you can hear the 'gurgle' through the vent telling you to back off the flow rate.

I know everyone wants to fill up quickly to get back on the water, just slow down and take your time, it will cause fewer headaches that way ;)

I discussed this with Bennington Reps and the problem lays with position of the tank under the lounger and the fill assembly. The tank is long and narrow with the fill port at the very front of the tank. If the front of the boat is tilted down the gas does not flow to the back of the tank quick enough and hits the vent port.

I discussed this with Bennington Reps and the problem lays with position of the tank under the lounger and the fill assembly. The tank is long and narrow with the fill port at the very front of the tank. If the front of the boat is tilted down the gas does not flow to the back of the tank quick enough and hits the vent port.
Makes sense.

Thanks for all the replies ... it sounds like Fyrfightr is on to something. I'll try jacking up the front of the boat next time. Terror, I live in LaPine and just got the boat this winter so haven't been out much. We are near Wickiup, Cultus, Crescent and Paulina. Will probably go over to Prineville Reservoir and most definitely over to Detroit at times. I'll look for you on the lake.

I just posted the same thread yesterday. I still can't seem to figure out how to use the search function. I never get any results to come back when I search. I have the same issue as mentioned here. I do have the 2275 RCW, so I have the same set up. I will try raising the front of the trailer, and will also make sure I pay attention to the slope fo the parking lot next time I fill. I cannot even begin to think about filling on even the lowest fill setting on the handle. It shuts off almost immediately, and starts to spew gas. I only have 5 hours on the boat, and have been twice now because I can't seem to get much in the tank. I will try these recommendations, turning the handle upside down and raising the front. I hope this helps. It makes a long ride back from town to the lake when you are covered in fuel.

I appreciate eveyone sharing there responses to try to make my outings more enjoyable.

Thanks,

Steve

So once again, does this problem still exist with the center tube fuel tank, or does it seem to be more the deck mounted?

Thanks, Derrick

BC, I don't have experience with the center tube tank but I won't leave you hanging here.

I've read every post on this forum since day one. I have not read of anyone having fueling problems with that setup. It really appears to be an on deck tank problem. The only complaints I remember of the center tank setup was when a couple members said they smelled strong fumes.

BC, I don't have experience with the center tube tank but I won't leave you hanging here.

I've read every post on this forum since day one. I have not read of anyone having fueling problems with that setup. It really appears to be an on deck tank problem. The only complaints I remember of the center tank setup was when a couple members said they smelled strong fumes.
Thanks, I've read every post on this board, probably remember about 5 of them, just figured that there have been a few people with the center fuel that have posted in this topic or read it, wondered of their experiences. I just want my boat already!!! Haha

Derrick

I now have this same problem (I didn't before, which is strange), according to the dock guy that tried to fill my boat this morning. He said gas wouldn't go in, and he was only able to add about 1/4th of a tank to get it to 3/4th full.

I read above about the angle of the boat being critical to getting gas to go in since the filler tube is connected to the front of the tank, but I have the express package with a 115, so it already sits in the water nose up at a pretty good angle...

Anyone figure this out?

I have an S model, and the tank is located in the motor pod.

Back