Fueling Your Bennie

I'm so glad this thread got bumped. I've been having the same problem with my 22 SSX. I've resorted to just completely removing the back flow preventer so that I can actually fill it past a bit over 3/4. I'll go inspect the lines and flap and see if I can figure out what my problem is. 
Glad it helped!  When I came across this old post from 2012, I figured there were other new owners like myself that hadn't come across it...

I have a refueling question and I didn't want to start a new thread. None of the gas stations on the river in my pool are open yet. Can I bring a 5 gallon can onto the boat and fill it when I'm anchored? I am not allowed to fill it with gas cans at the marina. Thank you all.

Are there any public docks ? That is what I was going to do if my marina did not allow it .

Has anyone had any issues with their SharkHide when this fueling "issue" occurred spilling over the side of the boat?

I have a refueling question and I didn't want to start a new thread. None of the gas stations on the river in my pool are open yet. Can I bring a 5 gallon can onto the boat and fill it when I'm anchored? I am not allowed to fill it with gas cans at the marina. Thank you all.
I couldn't imagine why not, you'd have to verify any regulations where you are boating, but that's what I'd do.

Thanks everyone, I brought 2 cans on the boat and we used one of the funnels with an adjustable tube on the end and it worked great.

I have this exact problem on the new Benny which has a 50 plus gallon tank buried in the center pontoon.  I got the boat with a full tank of gas so didn't need gas till now.  Acts like the fill hose to tank is blocked but I know it is not because it was filled by the dealership prior to delivery.  Saw this post and ran over to the barn to check the vent hose for "P" type trap like some others here on the forum have found.  Gees, not much room in the small rear compartment where the vent hose and canister are located.   The vent hose runs forward towards the front between the tank and the floor -- just enough clearance for the hose, tight, no wiggle room whatsoever.  So, not sure where the trap could be if there is one.

Any other ideas?   I was hoping for an easy fix and avoid a long trip to the dealer. 

You can't beat the super siphon .

I just looked at amazon ,the price on the ones with free shipping have almost doubled since last season .

They work great I've had one since last year no spill no gas in the mouth and no oder. I jus rest it on the sundeck and "LET ER GO" Can still get them at my dealer for $9.99 pt.

Thanks for all the replies.  I think I already have a super siphon like device that I got a few years ago but have never used.  It has a metal fixture with a ball in it.  May have to go to that.  But, since all of our boating is by trailer it sure would be nice to fill'er up at the gas station on the way to the lake. 

I'm going to look at the tank and hose routing some more today.

Looked at the fuel tank and vent hose routing again today and found there is a "P" trap on the vent hose.  I removed the large plastic threaded access plate in the floor a couple feet from back of tank which exposed the hose connections to the vent mechanism screwed to top of the tank.  The hoses go under a floor support brace and come back up to connect the the fuel fill pipe at the rear play pen wall.   The "P" type trap is formed where the hose dips down under the floor support.  This is a shallow P trap and it may possibly drain when traveling down hill.  It seems that all Bennys with ESP and large in-floor fuel tank would be constructed this way.

Thinking about disconnecting the vent hose at the tank to see if fuel drains from the trap.   

First of all, a huge THANK YOU to HAPEHOUR!! :)   :) :) 

If it wasn't for your post, I'd probably be throwing gas cans all over the lake!

I can't believe this thread has been going on for 2 years and not a post or notice of some kind by Bennington. I realize that the EPA has a habit of screwing things up for all of us, but the engineers in this country are smarter than them and should be able to "work around" the problem. (HAPEHOUR DID!!)

I purchased a new 2014 SLMX last fall and had a little trouble filling with cans...once this spring and again with the "super siphon" a few weeks ago. Yesterday I tried filling again with the super siphon and the gas flew everywhere before I could pull it out of the filler neck.

Today I went to the boat and, before attempting another fueling disaster, I removed the 5/8" vent tube from the tank, drained a small amount of fuel from it and, using a flex funnel, I put 12 gallons in without a spill.

I tried to feel under the floor for any flex in the vent line as per everyone's advice. No luck. I pulled up on the the vent hose from the filler neck side...it seemed to be tight.

I guess now I'll have to remove the vent line from the tank...fill the tank...and replace the vent line every time I have to fuel the boat...until I can get a look under the floor to find a possible fuel trap in the line...what a joke!

I guess now I'll have to remove the vent line from the tank...fill the tank...and replace the vent line every time I have to fuel the boat...until I can get a look under the floor to find a possible fuel trap in the line...what a joke!
That's what I've had to do. I need to open up the fishing station on my 22 SSX to even get to that stuff and see if it's fixable (I think). I'm just hoping that the guys who fill the gas at Lake Powell won't mind the filling mechanism/vent thing being gone when they go to fill me up. :(  

I must have gotten lucky with my new gsr2250 as it fuels fine at either the fuel dock or from 5 gal cans.  I did get a flo n go nozzle that you put on a new CARB rated 5 gal gas can and it works like a charm......after a little modding of the gas can though.  If you don't have a vent of some sort in a CARB style can the flo n go doesn't work so well.....kind of sucks the can in a bit like it's vapor locked.  Drilled a small hole and installed a simple metal valve stem with the core removed as a vent and it works great.

The flo n go will cost you just over 31 bux off amazon but you might be able to find one cheaper elsewhere online.

http://www.amazon.com/Flo-08338-MaxFlo-Siphon-Pump/dp/B003TG9J36/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403907236&sr=8-1&keywords=flo+n+go

We just lay a rubber backed mat over the top of the rear seat (to protect from drips and dirt from the can) and sit the gas can up there and with a couple of pumps of the handle it gravity feeds the 5 gal in a couple of minutes without any problems.

100_0342_zpsaccf7a5f.jpg

That's what I've had to do. I need to open up the fishing station on my 22 SSX to even get to that stuff and see if it's fixable (I think). I'm just hoping that the guys who fill the gas at Lake Powell won't mind the filling mechanism/vent thing being gone when they go to fill me up. :(
bcpnick

I had the same problem last year on my 2013 and had the same fishing station last year and this, the dealer last year had to take the fill spout off and cutt the bottom inch or so off the fill spout and then it worked fine. There is a little flapper on the bottom that isnt opening. 

I thought I would have the same issue this year. But it works fine this year so they must have fixed the issue, other wise I was going to have the dealer modify it again. 

So if you want to try taking the fill spout off and see if your flapper is working ok or the spring is not to stiff. that might help.

Thanks for the tip clrd. 

I just went and removed the flapper part. I'll put some gas in it this weekend to find out if that alone fixes it or if I need to cut a little off too. 

My GCW does the very same thing. First time I filled up (last year) I nearly took a shower in gasoline. No matter where I fill up (on the trailer or at the marina) the gas fills the very same way. Other owners have the same problem. Once I think my gas tank is near full I barely squeeze the trigger on the pump but it's gonna spew out every time! It would be nice if Bennington had a fix for this issue.
I contacted my dealer and Bennington the other day about this problem and both said they had never heard of such a thing?! Here I am replying to this post 7 years later and still no fix from Bennington.

Has anyone had any issues with their SharkHide when this fueling "issue" occurred spilling over the side of the boat?
I wanted to order the Sharkhide, but was advised not too as it rubs off and looks squirely.

Back