Garmin CHIRP 74 SV w/transducer: $600 @ West Marine

tcpip95

Reaction score
I don't know if any of you are in the market for a GPS w/transducer, but West Marine has a great sale on the Garmin echoMAP 74sv with the GT51M-TM transducer.  This is about $250 cheaper than anywhere else I've found.  It comes with Garmin's BlueChart g2 maps, and the transducer uses high wide CHIRP sonar and Garmin CHIRP SideVü and Garmin CHIRP DownVü.  The sonar transducer alone is about $500 and has side-scan and down-scan sonar.

I just ordered one and will have it installed while the boat is drydocked.  This is the unit that also lets you create your own bottom-maps and contours using QuickDraw Contours (built-in).

Here's the link to WM:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/garmin--echomap-chirp-74sv-fishfinder-chartplotter-with-chirp-sidev-clearv-and-bluechart-g2-maps--17044769

I had a $10 reward certificate to boot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the heads up, looking to see how much under skinning I'd need to remove to install. 

Thanks for the heads up, looking to see how much under skinning I'd need to remove to install. 

You can snake the wiring without removing the underskin.

You can snake the wiring without removing the underskin.

Thanks, I would assume they have my existing transducer wire fixed at some point along the way so I couldn't use it as a pull wire? I have the factory installed Garmin GPS. Don't do much fishing but my son is just starting and I like the gadgets! :)  

Thanks, I would assume they have my existing transducer wire fixed at some point along the way so I couldn't use it as a pull wire? I have the factory installed Garmin GPS. Don't do much fishing but my son is just starting and I like the gadgets! :)  

The transducers are usually hard-wired to the device, so you'll need to pull the wire.  Besides, the CHIRP technology is a HUGE improvement over the old technology.  What makes it really great is the fact that you can create your own highly detailed contour maps of the bottom.  Using the side-scan sonar you'll see things below the surface that you would never even known were there.

When I installed my Garmin, the transducer plugged into the unit,

It still does, however it uses a different plug on the back of the GPS.  Also, at the transducer end, it is hardwired into it, so you cannot reuse the wire.

Where is the best place to attach the Garmin GT51-TM transducer?  I have a Bennington 22SFX APG ordered with three tubes and a 200hp Yamaha.

Where is the best place to attach the Garmin GT51-TM transducer?  I have a Bennington 22SFX APG ordered with three tubes and a 200hp Yamaha.

I installed mine on the starboard pontoon at the rear.

My Garmin transducer is located on the port toon. It quits working above 15-18 MPH even though my dealer lowered it from it's original position. I'm thinking I could retire early if I could come up with a better way/place to mount one on a pontoon so that it actually works consistently. 

The problem is one of water noise (bubbles, etc.)  The trick is to ensure that the bottom of the transducer is precisely even with the bottom of the pontoon.  Too deep and it'll make it's own noise.  Too shallow and you won't "see" anything.  Also, if you have lifting strakes, they tend to trap air, which in-turn will make more bubbles.

When installing, if at all possible, mount to the outboard side of the pontoon to get as far away from the prop as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is one of water noise (bubbles, etc.)  The trick is to ensure that the bottom of the transducer is precisely even with the bottom of the pontoon.  Too deep and it'll make it's own noise.  Too shallow and you won't "see" anything.  Also, if you have lifting strakes, they tend to trap air, which in-turn will make more bubbles.

When installing, if at all possible, mount to the outboard side of the pontoon to get as far away from the prop as possible.

Therein lies the problem for me, anyway. I've discovered that pontoons create all sorts of "dirty water" that conspire to limit the functionality of the typical transducer. It just seems like someone would realize the problem and create a clear solution that works on every pontoon.  

Back