Garmin Echo100 to Echomap Chirp42DV help

NautibyNature

Reaction score
I have a 2575Q that came with an Echo 100. I bought a 42dv which requires a transducer change...both are 4 pin so I'm thinking piece of cake... Wrong. The old ducer has maybe 2 feet of wire then there is a screw type connection then that wire goes into the hole above the port toon. Under the helm the existing wire will plug into the new unit but I can't use this because the new ducer has 20' of wire with an end that plugs right into the unit. I tried taping the two wires together and pulling the new one with the old one but the tape goes in the toon a few inches and gets hung up. I also doubt the 20' will be enough. Anyone else run into this? Does Garmin make an adapter so I can use existing wire? Has anyone cut and spliced?( I realize Garmin says don't cut it) Has anyone rerouted this wire to the helm? I took some pics but they are too big to post, I can email them to anyone who wants to see them or post them for me.  

I just did this on my Q. Had to get the extension. It is easy to do. Just follow the current wire. You can use your phone to see the wires under the boat. 

I'm not understanding how you just followed the existing wire? My boat is on the trailer and I can't see anything under it... It's all closed up with metal attached with rivets. 

I'm not understanding how you just followed the existing wire? My boat is on the trailer and I can't see anything under it... It's all closed up with metal attached with rivets. 

There is a gap between the water shield and the floor. Take your phone and turn the camera on. Hold it up on the top side of the toon (from the side of the boat not under the boat). You will see the wires running across from the helm to the other side of the boat. Then they go down the side to the rear. I went to harbor freight and got me a wire puller to get the wire across. Worked great. 

Something like this. 

http://m.harborfreight.com/3-16-inch-x-33-ft-fiberglass-wire-running-kit-65326.html

PM me your cell and I can call you to help.

I understand now what you mean now. I called Bennington CS hoping I could just buy the ducer I need with the adapter but they don't use the one I need. I need to get an extension and fish tape and try again lol. Thanks for explaining it. I'll pm you if I can't figure it out when I try it.

I have the right transducer with a 20' cable that plugs into the GPS. I called hoping I could buy another transducer from Bennington that has a short piece of cable with the screw in adapter that is apparently exclusive to Bennington. Unless you have found a link to the transducer I need with the Bennington adapter I'm not sure what you want me to see on that link. The new transducer is  a GT20-TM. Thanks.

This may sound dumb, but can you cut the end off the old transducer, cut off most of the new transducer wiring, and splice/solder the wires so you basically make your own pigtail from your transducer?  OR being Bennington does not sell direct, see if your dealer can order the "Bennington Only" transducer with pigtail as I'd think they'd be available in case of warranty issues. 

@SEMPERFI8387, Splicing would be the quickest and cheapest but I'm not sure if it would cause any interference in the data from the sounder. I was hoping someone here has done exactly what you mentioned with no issues. Garmin says don't cut it, but mattresses also say don't remove tags. I called Bennington and they don't have any of the newer transducers, only ones like are on the boat now.

I have the right transducer with a 20' cable that plugs into the GPS. I called hoping I could buy another transducer from Bennington that has a short piece of cable with the screw in adapter that is apparently exclusive to Bennington. Unless you have found a link to the transducer I need with the Bennington adapter I'm not sure what you want me to see on that link. The new transducer is  a GT20-TM. Thanks.

Did You Call Garmin ?

Order the extension and run the wire. You could have been done by now. :)  

It takes a couple of hours because you braces in the way down the side. I used a wire hanger and just did one at a time. I tested it last weekend and it worked great. Good luck!

I bought a fish tape and ran it the same route as existing wire. I used a piece of bamboo to pull it from starboard to port, then to the back. Now I just have to wait until the extension gets here, attach to the tape and pull it to the helm.

I bought a fish tape and ran it the same route as existing wire. I used a piece of bamboo to pull it from starboard to port, then to the back. Now I just have to wait until the extension gets here, attach to the tape and pull it to the helm.

Great! I wire tied the connection to the boat right under the helm.  That way I could get to the connection. 

Make sure you update the software. They added a cool feature that will update the maps while you are moving. 

Yes Jack is correct. You can go get a card and download the update. Or do what Jack and I did and purchase one of the upgraded cards. Then you get better maps and the sd card. It will already have the update on it.

Back