Garmin Gps

all great comments and reviews. I have had a lot of GPS machines and did some major off shore fishing. Now At 75 I bought a PONTOON boat and my modest little 50s is more than adequate for me. Im not on a 60 ft Hatteras going out for tuna. We all tend to over equip our boats. My over doing right now is buying things to make my pontooning as comfortable and lavish as it can be. It is certainly a lot different than my old conventionally hulled boats but I am loving it to the fullest. less than a month old and already clocked over 100 miles, remember I am in southwest Florida. I am a tech nut and love all the bells and whistles but I am directing that towards blue tooth, amps, subwoofers etc etc  Happy boating to all.

I really like my garmin 50s. do have a problem, I lose the bottom when boat is accelerated over 2000 rpm...any thoughts? its going in for the 20 hour on Monday the 12th I am hoping they can correct the problem.

The transducer angle needs to be adjusted. Really easy when it's out of the water. All you need is a screwdriver.

If you are getting turbulence (air) from the toon underway it will cause this. It needs to have "clean" water under it. Adjusting angle as Nick said or possibly dropping it lower if possible.

I don't need a screwdriver to adjust my Garmin 531, can make adjust angle just by grabbing it and moving it  

I don't need a screwdriver to adjust my Garmin 531, can make adjust angle just by grabbing it and moving it  
I've done the same while it was in the water, but I was a little afraid I might break it. 

Depends on the torque of the screw, it's a fine line to get it right. Mine is so sensitive that with a full tank it works, and with a 1/4 of a tank it is spotty. I need to find the happy medium or just keep the tank full or more people in the back.

I bumped mine on the lift bunks once and needed a screwdriver to readjust. I was suprised it moved without breaking the first time.

love my garmin 50s at speeds lower than 12 mph after that I lose the bottom. dealer lowered the transducer but didn't correct the problem. is it because it's a pontoon boat? anyone else have this problem? can it be corrected?

I think it still just needs to be adjusted. It may have been done, just not done quite right. 

I agree with bcpnick Gabiano.  I don't have the same Garmin but no matter the speed I don't have a problem

Could you guys please post some pics of your set ups. 

Here's ours. The guage on the right is water pressure.

gallery_1200_147_34850.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just looked, I don't have one.  CWag installed his own chartplotter, noticed the one above is the original not the 431, you can go to his gallery and see his installation process

Carl, I am impressed that you monitor the lake water

Oopps! Wrong pic. Water pressure is for impeller. I think you were just being funny.    :p

gallery_1200_147_71498.jpg

Anyone flush mount the Garmin DV50 just bought one and hoping it's not to big. It was a killer deal $349.00 for it with the lake maps preloaded. Going in my 2014 Bennington RCB

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you will be able to flush mount the DV50.  I have an RL with the elevated helm and I had the 531s flush mounted 5.9" x 6.4" x 2.9" and your specs on the 50dv is 5.9" x 6.1" x 2.9".  I will note that the 531s barely made it to the point that the cover does not snap on tight and has a tendency to fall off

I think you will be able to flush mount the DV50.  I have an RL with the elevated helm and I had the 531s flush mounted 5.9" x 6.4" x 2.9" and your specs on the 50dv is 5.9" x 6.1" x 2.9".  I will note that the 531s barely made it to the point that the cover does not snap on tight and has a tendency to fall off
Thanks good to know because I will not be mounting it until spring

Back