Garmin

Paul C

Reaction score
I am looking to move the current GPS on my 2018 24 SSX from the location near my right knee to the center gauge panel of the console. Currently I have three gauges there. I have contacted Bennington for information. Seems I can get a replacement center gauge panel to accommodate the new Garmin - Echomap Ultra 106SV. It is the largest unit I have found that will fit in the available space. Height is the limiting factor. May have to enlarge the cut out..but have the eqpt to do that. I have a Yamaha and need to purchase a NMEA Starter Kit and Yamaha Gateway and Yamaha Harness. The new Garmin has multiple screens and does all the navigation I will ever need. Multiple display views for monitoring the Yamaha performance and all the gauges I need. So the question is has anyone had this done or did it themselves. Does require wiring/cables to connect to the Yamaha. Has anyone done themselves? I have a boat friend who did this installation to his Boston Whaler. The tritoon has some different challenges. Any information or comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have connected the Garmin to my Yamaha motor. It’s a pretty straightforward setup. Biggest pain was running the wires. If you watch any of the videos online, they pretty much explain the setup and where to connect everything. I do remember that you are limited to a certain distance that you can to the NMEA backbone. I remember them going over it in one of the videos and explained it fairly well. I don’t remember the specifics now. :(

Did you install yourself? If so, how did you run the cables beneath the flooring of the tritoon?

I did do it myself, but I only have 2 tubes, not 3. I used a fish wire to run the wiring from the motor through the motor mount pod and up to where other wires run up to the helm. I did end up about a foot short so I put the backbone connection under the deck and ran a short extension between the pieces of the backbone. I had to work the fish wire a little to get it through, but after 2 or 3 attempts I got it through.

Hey Paul - dredging up old thread.

I also have the 106 currently mounted on a Balzout mount. I'm looking to get engine data on the Garmin and looks pretty straightforward - I can take an available terminal on the Command Link hub, connect with the proper N2K pigtail into a N2K backbone, then backbone to the Garmin. But your strategy seemed to go the Yamaha Gateway route which is another $300. Wondering what your exeprience with all this was and if you indeed routed through the Gateway.

Pic of mount and pigtail below (black harness on the hub)

Thanks!

1B8474E6-75B0-4241-A75D-258E44E36952.jpegDB9701BF-2439-4AB1-BF56-9009E89A9FA9.jpeg

Back