Gas fill too long?

mutbobcoo

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced gas tank taking too long to fill?  It takes me ~ 20-25 minutes to fill ~ 40 gallons......trickling slowly.  Any thoughts/suggestions?  

Are you sure it isn't a slow pump at the station? If it were something in your boat, then the pump nozzle would just keep tripping off. Mine will trip due to fast filling, but I simply still the gas nozzle all the way into the fill neck, and that usually stops the problem. 

Yes.....not a slow pump- used multiple gas stations- as soon as it kicks in to 'high speed' it trips off.  I've tried orienting the pump nozzle 88 different ways.......frustrating- especially when there's a line behind me.

You might have to check the fill hose in the boat (or have your dealer do it). Warranty. It would also help to know what you have and where the tank is.

A bunch of folks have this issue.  I've seen reports of kinks in hoses but the most common issue if I recall is a filter in the line where air is going out of the tank as gas is going in.  If I pump for than about a gallon every 30 seconds I can expect to be wearing gas when it burps.

Gas tank is under center tune......I haven't noted any kinks.  sounds like I have the same issue ~ 1 gallon every 30 seconds.  frustrating.  

I was given a little white funnel that is supposed to help with this issue, ask your dealer about it.  I have not used it yet, just found a close by E10 station I can get thru.  Have used marina gas so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the answer to the gas fill problem? I have tried different funnels,different hoses. It would take me 20 minutes to put 5 gals. into the tank. It looks as if there is a small bar sitting cross ways just down inside the fill. It will only take maybe a 1/3 of a gallon 4 minutes to induce into the tank. I have tried everything I can think of. It is a S 21ft model that I have had for maybe 3 months. The dealer sold me a clear hose to put into the tank and the other end into the gas can and the shake it up and down a few times and gas will flow. (RIGHT) all over the side of the boat. It just will not except gas unless your using an eye dropper, a very little at a time. I see this is a problem that many others have so now what Bennington??

Can one of you engineers come up with a fix? I live in Elkhart so now I'm on my way to the factory, not the dealer as they only have a $20 clear hose that I purchased, THAT DOES NOT WORK!!!! Shame on you Bennington.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I fill my tanks, I don't put the gas pump nozzle all the way in the hole.  When I do, I get the back flow problem.  I put it about 1/2 way in, and that seems to work fine for me.

Hmm, I've only once filled my gas tank at a gas station on the day I took delivery. However, it worked as you would expect with none of the problems you have had. However, when I started filling it using portable gas cans once at the marina, I had similar results but that had to do with the new gas can design. I've since replaced the spouts and drilled vent holes in the top and it now fills quickly.

As such, I'd be inclined to think that the problem is not with the design (I have a similar set-up) but more a specific issue with your boat. There's hoping to a resolution to your problem...

Back