Gas Prices

kicker is you probably spent $1,000 to earn "points" used for a 20 gallon fill up!

Filled today in Wixom for $1.87. Some stations up to $2.09 but lots still under $2.00.

We've been holding steady for a couple weeks around $1.97.

Finally yesterday ( 1/14/15) we get under $2.00 a gallon ,today I get a Gas Buddy price hike alert . 

Oil is down again today .

Last edited by a moderator:
Mid $1.80's here.

Did you a hike alert Andy ?

Or just us up north again because of a holiday weekend .

No alert down here.

Worst part of it is that we are already higher than the projected increase at some stations .

Sticking it to the Skiers & Snowmobiler's ,not to mention the locals 

Ours went below a buck today, $1.99.

$1.75 ish here but just got an alert from gas buddy they are going up

We just went down to $1.95 today and I just received the same hike alert .

Is there another holiday this weekend ? :p .

Oil is down again today .

Filled up in the Jackson, MI area late yesterday for $1.74.  Would love to have around $2/gallon prices for this summer but no way I'm getting my hopes up for that.

I saw that one  so called " annalist  " said  that due to the amount of rigs shutting down we will be up to $5.00 by the end of 2016 

I saw that one  so called " annalist  " said  that due to the amount of rigs shutting down we will be up to $5.00 by the end of 2016 

Meh....I remember this time last year they were saying we'd have $5/gallon gas by last summer and that never happened.  From what I've been hearing (and I am certainly not the go to guy on this info) the U.S. is finally using some of its reserves and thus OPEC is lowering the price of crude to offset it.  If someone knows for sure please reply because again I am not the expert on this.

I would imagine WHEN oil prices go back up these rigs will be back online as well.

The best cure for low prices are low prices. It costs way more than $48 to pull a barrel of oil out of our ground. Yet that's all the market is willing to pay at this moment. So producers will, as it makes business sense, stop pulling it out of the ground until the prices go up. It's not nefarious. It's just that in many cases, producers have to sell at a loss in order to move the product they are producing. Solution? Stop producing at a loss. Which takes supply off-line. Which restricts product available to buy. Which causes prices to up.

My caution to anyone (no one here is this short-sighted...I know that), is simple...don't make long term decisions on a short term price drop. No one saw this coming. OPEC is on their knees. They don't want to shut off their supply because buyers will find other sources (that's us...the other sources). Once a buyer has mechanisms in place to buy from us, it's hard to get them to return to an OPEC member. OPEC is hoping we blink first and shut off the some wells. If we don't, eventually they will because they have no choice. Their economies have no other sector. And eventually, they hit the skids.

I know this is elementary to some. But to others, not-so-much. So I thought I'd post it. Personally, I drive Volt so I don't much care the price of gas in winter. In summer? Between the tow vehicle and the boats, I care as much as anyone else...maybe more. For now though, I just watch from the sidelines filling my car with electrons every day and burning nothing but coal. It's fascinating to me how many people are buying big trucks and SUV's as grocery getters and child-movers because gas is "cheap now". Doh! Silly silly people.

Back