Gas Prices

Smoky Mountain

Reaction score
Never seems to fail, whenever I purchase a larger boat and motor gas prices find new highs.

How will this $5 plus marina gas effect your boating experience?

Our marina has a no haul policy to the slip.

Never seems to fail, whenever I purchase a larger boat and motor gas prices find new highs.

How will this $5 plus marina gas effect your boating experience?

Our marina has a no haul policy to the slip.
This is one of the reasons we went to a pontoon. Even if gas is $10/gallon (god forbid), it will take me $5 worth to get to and back from my favorite sand bar. We can spend all day there, cook up some lunch and have a grand old time on the water. Sure, cruising would be nice, but not required. In my big boat, a 24' cuddy, we could go through $200 worth of gas in a day (at $3/gal prices).

Pontooning is the boat of the future, especially when electric powered outboards hit the scene.

I ain't worried about no stinking gas prices. Bring it on!

No one likes high gas prices, except the oil companies of course. So I did two things 10 years ago when I started boating. Decided I wouldn't let the gas prices get my panties in a bunch when fueling up and bought gas stocks. Both decisions have served me well over the years.

We also do things similar to goldnrod. We pull up to a numbers of sand bars/islands on our lake ad have a great time swimming, socializing and eating. Pontoons are the perfect platform for this activity. Man.....can't wait till summer!

Last edited by a moderator:
No one likes high gas prices, except the oil companies of course.
I don't want to drag the thread off on a tangent, so I'll just offer this bit of information and let it go. The Oil companies are probably not as happy as you might think. Their business has a very slim profit margin and higher prices reduce consumption. Prices are a function of the fungibility of oil, refining costs and the value of the dollar.

As to the question; how will this affect boating, I don't think it will affect much.

If I have the disposable income to spend tens of thousands of dollars on what is essentially a toy that nobody really needs, then I probably have the money to drop a couple of twenties in the tank every weekend; more if I plan on spending a lot of time on speed.

lease understand, I don't mean to sound flippant about it. I'm simply saying that in a larger context the total I spend on fuel across an entire year isn't all that much.

I don't want to drag the thread off on a tangent, so I'll just offer this bit of information and let it go. The Oil companies are probably not as happy as you might think. Their business has a very slim profit margin and higher prices reduce consumption. Prices are a function of the fungibility of oil, refining costs and the value of the dollar.

As to the question; how will this affect boating, I don't think it will affect much.

If I have the disposable income to spend tens of thousands of dollars on what is essentially a toy that nobody really needs, then I probably have the money to drop a couple of twenties in the tank every weekend; more if I plan on spending a lot of time on speed.

lease understand, I don't mean to sound flippant about it. I'm simply saying that in a larger context the total I spend on fuel across an entire year isn't all that much.
Filling a 33 gallon tank at $6 per gallon won't be as painful as our 30 gallon per hour twins. That rig had two 120 gallon tanks. I paid a high of $3.75 then. A $400 stop at the pump was common.

Unfortunately we won't be pulling in for filling station petro any longer. So the fuel costs will increase.

It's only expendable income and as the old saw goes, you can't take it with ya.

Here is an interesting read on why the prices are so high, it gets pretty deep.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/200-oil-coming-as-central-banks-go-ctrlp-happy.html

If fuel prices get too high, we'll just back our pontoon out of the boathouse, run 1/2 mile into the middle of the lake, and listen to the radio all day (or all night) floating with the current. If we get too far down river, we'll start up, drive up river, and float for awhile. We could actually have a great day on $5 fuel.

We often use our Waverunner to do much of our house looking and cruising @ 10 mpg.

Gasoline is a minor part of boating expenses after you consider initial cost, depreciation, insurance, maintenance, towing expenses and storage/marina expenses.

The only thing many of us can do is to make sure the Presidency is not in the hands of the current administration. O'Bama is certainly no friend of the middle class. VOTE'EM ALL OUT.

Last edited by a moderator:
If fuel prices get too high, we'll just back our pontoon out of the boathouse, run 1/2 mile into the middle of the lake, and listen to the radio all day (or all night) floating with the current. If we get too far down river, we'll start up, drive up river, and float for awhile. We could actually have a great day on $5 fuel.

We often use our Waverunner to do much of our house looking and cruising @ 10 mpg.

Gasoline is a minor part of boating expenses after you consider initial cost, depreciation, insurance, maintenance, towing expenses and storage/marina expenses.

The only thing many of us can do is to make sure the Presidency is not in the hands of the current administration. O'Bama is certainly no friend of the middle class. VOTE'EM ALL OUT.

Here, here.

W&F -

I think too many people underestimate the impact of simple demand increases from us and from China & India on the price of a barrel of oil. Occam's Razor.

Bama, Smokey -

I can't say that I don't have strong political feelings, and I'd be lying if I said I was a big fan or Mordor on the Potomac; but in general we try to stick to the old rule of thumb about not bringing up Religion or Politics at Thanksgiving Dinner. I've been on the Internet since before Al G. invented it and I can tell you from experience that nothing disrupts a board quite like those subjects.

There's a good chance that there is a common line of thought on these subjects among most of us, but it's best if we steer clear of those shoals. KnowwhutImean? B)

We're exporting as much or more than we're importing. Let's refine what's going out and keep it stateside. Not having the shipping costs and associated "import taxes" would surely lower the final cost somewhat. Just a theory :)

Back