Gas Tank NOT VENTING on 2016 2372 Q

DennisMack

Reaction score
I have been having a Gas Tank venting problem on my Bennington Q2372 all summer.  Service has picked it up a couple of times and even changed gas caps and primer bulb on the fuel line.  Their computer says everything checks out fine but the problem continues.  The problem is the giant Yamaha 300hp outboard sucks so much gas at higher speeds that after a short time the motor cuts out as it is starving for fuel.  The primer bulb is sucked flat too.  What I have to do is open the gas cap and there is a huge rush of air getting sucked in and the primer bulb goes back to normal.  I don't think leaving the gas cap partially open is the solution on a one year old $96K bennington.  Service want to pick it up again.  Any ideas?  This boat has the rear facing lounge seats so the 23 gallon tank is under one of those seats.

Thanks, Dennis M.

Is the cap supposed to vent the tank? The tank apparently isn't venting. Did they test drive it when it arrived? Did you test drive it BEFORE you signed the paperwork and took it home?

I'd go to parts, buy a gas cap, bring it home and try it. If the problem is still there, I'd drill a 1/16" hole in it and try it again. If that works I'd use the boat and tell the dealer he gets it in the off season to fix it.

This isn't specific to your "venting" but it does apply to the new system used. Is it possible the "vent" line is kinked or pinched. See the PDF file in this thread. 

Had this same problem with the 2017 loaner they gave me while waiting on my boat.  Had to run with the gas cap loose for a couple months.  They told me it was a valve on top of the gas tank where the vent line comes out that is required by the EPA causing the issue.  Evidently this is a fairly common issue on the 2017s. 

Had the fuel starvation problem mentioned above on my '17 SX22, found the tank vent and it was nearly completely clogged up. Will test it again on Sunday, but my son said the fuel bulb was collapsed and the boat wouldn't start until he loosened up the fuel cap.

Attachments

• BoatVent (2).jpg
    BoatVent (2).jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 53
  • BoatVent (3).jpg
    BoatVent (3).jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 53
  • BoatVent (4).jpg
    BoatVent (4).jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 53
  • BoatVent (1).jpg
    BoatVent (1).jpg
    77 KB · Views: 60
Had the fuel starvation problem mentioned above on my '17 SX22, found the tank vent and it was nearly completely clogged up. Will test it again on Sunday, but my son said the fuel bulb was collapsed and the boat wouldn't start until he loosened up the fuel cap.
Had this exact same problem and resolution on our 2015 last year. A quick and simple fix.

Had it on the lake today, still an unusual amount of vacuum in the tank when we removed the gas cap. Going to check the charcoal canister to see if it is plugged. Wondering if there is another vent somewhere that is for negative pressure...

Where is the vent...can't find mine...pic would be great...tks

There was a post in the past about a clogged vent (screen). See post 5 of this thread.
Under the boat, there may be a small hole in the plywood, with a fitting with screen in it (that may have clogged) probably near the fuel tank. Mine is directly below but just to the side (for mounting) of my tank under the seat. Mine was held down with a screw from the topside.

Thank you. Found it. All clean as was carbon
There was a post in the past about a clogged vent (screen). See post 5 of this thread.
Under the boat, there may be a small hole in the plywood, with a fitting with screen in it (that may have clogged) probably near the fuel tank. Mine is directly below but just to the side (for mounting) of my tank under the seat. Mine was held down with a screw from the topside.
Canister. Any suggestion as primer bulb deflates at high speed

Thank you. Found it. All clean as was carbon

Canister. Any suggestion as primer bulb deflates at high speed
Check (with your dealer?) to make sure the check valves at the top of the carbon canister aren't installed or plumbed backwards and that all vent tubing is clear/unblocked. Since your canister checks out, not sure what else there would be to prevent proper venting.

I do know, even on my 2017, these new “EPA systems” don’t vent very well. Even in the early morning before it heats up, when I open the gas cap, I get a whoosh of air venting out. I’ve been running at WOT (no comments:p) I’ve had the motor starve for fuel, bulb is empty, I crack the cap, hear the vacuum of air, and then it's fine.

Back